C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you adjust headlight covers left/right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 PM
hades1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can you adjust headlight covers left/right?

Looking at this picture:

I understand that I can adjust the headlight assembly up/down with the 4 white colored screw and front/back with the 4 torx screws nearby but looking at that picture it doesn't look like there is any way adjust them left/right, is that correct?

My passenger side headlight cover rubs slightly with the hood when opening/closing and to prevent this I need to open the hood fully first, then turn on the headlight, then gently close the hood while pushing that headlight assembly away to prevent rubbing which is a pain, especially now that it's getting dark early.

I know that I might be able to adjust the hood front/back to make more room, but if I could adjust the headlight assembly instead, that would make it easier. Is that possible at all?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by hades1; 10-20-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 PM
derz_vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You might get a very slight adjustment left and right if you loosen the mounting bolt. (I think there are three?)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default good news/bad news

The good news is that I was able to move my headlight covers in all directions in order to even the gaps. The bad news is that it was several years ago and I've forgotten how I did it- but I know that it can be done. If you're still stuck after a good try, PM me and I'll rip my covers off again for a refresher and then I can give you the info.
The following users liked this post:
hades1 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 PM
hades1
Instructor

Thanks, I will see if I can give it a try this week-end (not having a place to work on my car suckssssss...); I will let you know
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM
hades1
Instructor

Turns out you can adjust them left/right by loosening the 4 torx screws the whole upper section of the headlight assembly can be shifted left/right (even though on the picture above it looks like they can only be moved front/back).
Unfortunately that wasn't enough to avoid the rubbing of the headlight cover on the hood so I guess I am gonna have to adjust the hood then
Old 10-24-2016, 02:04 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 445 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by hades1
Unfortunately that wasn't enough to avoid the rubbing of the headlight cover on the hood so I guess I am gonna have to adjust the hood then
Before adjusting the hood, you need to look at the gaps side to side and along the front of the hood. If the gaps are even, you need to look at how the headlight bucket is mounted​​​​​​. There may be some adjustment to the entire assembly. Don't make the hood wrong to "fix" an improperly mounted bucket. Fix the bucket. Was the car ever wrecked?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
hades1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Before adjusting the hood, you need to look at the gaps side to side and along the front of the hood. If the gaps are even, you need to look at how the headlight bucket is mounted​​​​​​. There may be some adjustment to the entire assembly. Don't make the hood wrong to "fix" an improperly mounted bucket. Fix the bucket. Was the car ever wrecked?
The hood is an aftermarket one installed by the PO and fitment isn't awesome, yeah there is a smaller gap on the passenger side then on the driver side (hood to bumper), so I guess that's what I would need to address first.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you adjust headlight covers left/right?

Quick Reply: Can you adjust headlight covers left/right?