C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipping the differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 AM
letterman7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flipping the differential

Bear with me here... I've got a special project that requires a rear-engine drivetrain. It is not Porsche nor VW, but a Corvair powered motorhome of all things. What I'm looking to do is ditch the 'Vair power for something slightly more modern and gain a couple gears. I have little information despite a couple weeks of searching. The C5 transmission/differential seem to be the ideal setup for this - the right size and gearing. What I am interested in is the 4L60E and diff.. but I need to be able to flip the differential to get the "reverse" drive without undue strain on the ring gear. Now, from the few photos I've gleaned it looks like it will not be a straightforward 180° rotation, as the outer case bolts are not concentric to the input shaft. What I can't find is what the differential is made from - what metal. I can weld on what I need (I think) but wanted to get some additional input from the mechanics who have been into the differential to see if this is even feasible.

Rick
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by letterman7
Bear with me here... I've got a special project that requires a rear-engine drivetrain. It is not Porsche nor VW, but a Corvair powered motorhome of all things. What I'm looking to do is ditch the 'Vair power for something slightly more modern and gain a couple gears. I have little information despite a couple weeks of searching. The C5 transmission/differential seem to be the ideal setup for this - the right size and gearing. What I am interested in is the 4L60E and diff.. but I need to be able to flip the differential to get the "reverse" drive without undue strain on the ring gear. Now, from the few photos I've gleaned it looks like it will not be a straightforward 180° rotation, as the outer case bolts are not concentric to the input shaft. What I can't find is what the differential is made from - what metal. I can weld on what I need (I think) but wanted to get some additional input from the mechanics who have been into the differential to see if this is even feasible.

Rick
Maybe look at those outfits that put Vette engines in the back of Porsches? I think Renegade Hybrids is the place.
Let us know how it goes. Some of us gearheads like to hear a good outcome.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 PM
letterman7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Renegade uses the Porsche transaxles in those applications. I have a call into RPM transmissions and talked to a tech there. He said that an inverted '06 and up manual differential and one of their adapters should mate up with the 4L60E with no issues and he sees no issues running the differential that way (other than plugging the vent and adding one to the top). It won't be cheap though - he's pricing a diff geared for my application as well. I should know more next week.

Get notified of new replies

To Flipping the differential

Quick Reply: Flipping the differential