C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Coupe/ LS1 Upgrade Question

Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Coupe/ LS1 Upgrade Question

G'day All,

After having my 02 for around 3 years now, I have decided I want to look at doing some upgrades to my beauty.
I have looked around, and read a lot of reviews, and ideas from other fellow Corvette guys, and I like the idea of fitting a small Supercharger onto the engine.
The one I have looked at, is the one bolted to the side of the motor, and pipes over and into the intake manifold. Low profile, and will only, maybe, need for me to purchase a hood with a small bump in it?
I would like to know what is the best one to look at, with ease of fitting.
And while on it, what would I need to do to my LS1 to make sure it can run with the Supercharger? A recent engine I had with a 6-71, I had to do a lot of changes.
I know my Vette is only a Coupe, no Sports models here, but I want it to be my beast.

Thanks for any input.

Kevin.

We have pretty strict rules about fitting extra gear onto vehicles, height limits, view through the windscreen, major upgrades and the likes.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

you know what they cost right ? 8 Grand !
Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O yes I do, but less then what it cost me for the new 6-71 and everything those many years ago.
Can't take it with me, can I, so when there's some spare, I like to use it on my toys.
But thanks for the heads up, I might not of known, and that would a scared me.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:20 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

on the other hand, I just picked up a recent issue of hot rod magazine , with a $699 turbo article featured on the front cover . Worth a read, they say turbos are big because of the price points of these types of kits. Not what you are considering, but the more info the better, since you are still planning.

I talked to a guy who fabricated a turbo set up into the front fenders of his C4, said the cooling was his biggest problem, no kit for him. I couldn't turbo my C5 with nine kits, I would have to farm it out.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Andy's SC kits are popular. I don't have one, but he has sold a a ton of these.
A and A Corvette Performance
http://www.aacorvette.com
Phone number:
477-A Lambert St.
Oxnard, CA 93036
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg_E:
Pounder (10-26-2016), sparcnz (10-29-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg_E
Andy's SC kits are popular. I don't have one, but he has sold a a ton of these.
A and A Corvette Performance
http://www.aacorvette.com
Phone number:
477-A Lambert St.
Oxnard, CA 93036
Now you did it, Hmmmm I might swing that !
Old 10-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Danlb
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
you know what they cost right ? 8 Grand !
That's installed, but I doubt getting the car to Oxnard for the install would be inexpensive! The kit is about $2500 less than your figure. I have one on my '00 and it is wonderful. I've pulled mine off for other maintenance and looking at the installation manual it appears the initial installation wouldn't be too difficult for anyone with some mechanical abilities.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Danlb
That's installed, but I doubt getting the car to Oxnard for the install would be inexpensive! The kit is about $2500 less than your figure. I have one on my '00 and it is wonderful. I've pulled mine off for other maintenance and looking at the installation manual it appears the initial installation wouldn't be too difficult for anyone with some mechanical abilities.
I was throwing a ballpark figure, counting on add on's . previous poster just showed a link and theirs is around 5300.00 (I presume not installed)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I was throwing a ballpark figure, counting on add on's . previous poster just showed a link and theirs is around 5300.00 (I presume not installed)
OK, I'm in....I'll help you and you help me.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by runner140*
OK, I'm in....I'll help you and you help me.
Deal !
Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A SUPERCHARGER kit is the way to go. Depends on your GOALS for power and BUDGET, all you would need is a supercharger kit.

That being said, You MUST go by the old racers CODE.

FAST, CHEEP, RELIABLE!

Pick TWO cause you cant have all three!

For reliability , you should:

Change the VALVE SPRINGS and make the valve train more reliable. New upgraded trunions and stronger pushrods. New timing chain. The GM LS1 chain that you have is VERY WEAK and doesn't do well at all with added STRESS. Most people install a blower cam for optimal boosted performance. Good time to install the better chain, new performance lifters, new lifter buckets, oil pump and a timing chain dampener.

Don't know if your kit comes with a new dampener but you will have to get a new one as the GM Dampeners SUCK and fail without notice. The new one will need to be PINED to the crank!!!

Back to power goals. WHAT do you expect (or should I say desire) for a power increase??????? Depending on that answer, you may need to be very friendly with you accountant!

The more power you infuse, the more drivetrain work your going to need!

Traction!! That will be an issue. Better tires, with more meat! If you have RUN FLATS, they are NOT the best tires to put power to the pavement. At least not the run of the mill run flat tires.

Is your car an A4 or MN6???????? The A4 transmission will have a shorter life with added power. The third and fourth gear clutch packs and sun shell will fail in short order. If you have a CLUTCH, stand by for clutch issues caused by the extra power (read clutch replacement) How many miles on the car and drivetrain???

Wheel HOP. Most stock C5s have weak suspensions. Yes your corvette was only designed to support basically stock C5 Power. when you pass the 400-420 RWHP level, shortcomings will rear their ugly heads.

Your SHOCKS are most likely very worn or useless and will not do well with the added power. Transmission and engine mounts will most likely need to be up-graded for best performance.

COOLING. Depending on where you live, cooling could be a BIG factor and you may need to install a bigger aftermarket radiator. A4 will need a good aftermarket cooler. On most supercharger kits, the radiator is repositioned to lay flatter to properly fit the tube that connect the intercooler outlet to the TB.

This is a short list.. Keep you wallet tuned and ready support!!

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-26-2016 at 10:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Pounder (10-26-2016), sparcnz (10-29-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:59 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by sparcnz
G'day All,

After having my 02 for around 3 years now, I have decided I want to look at doing some upgrades to my beauty.
I have looked around, and read a lot of reviews, and ideas from other fellow Corvette guys, and I like the idea of fitting a small Supercharger onto the engine.
The one I have looked at, is the one bolted to the side of the motor, and pipes over and into the intake manifold. Low profile, and will only, maybe, need for me to purchase a hood with a small bump in it?
I would like to know what is the best one to look at, with ease of fitting.
And while on it, what would I need to do to my LS1 to make sure it can run with the Supercharger? A recent engine I had with a 6-71, I had to do a lot of changes.
I know my Vette is only a Coupe, no Sports models here, but I want it to be my beast.

Thanks for any input.

Kevin.

We have pretty strict rules about fitting extra gear onto vehicles, height limits, view through the windscreen, major upgrades and the likes.
I see lots of C5s here with SC and use the stock hood. At the Carlisle show there's still a few of the old 6-71 cars rolling around but those monsters are rare. And we don't have much of a restriction on that sort of thing here. If any for that matter.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
A SUPERCHARGER kit is the way to go. Depends on your GOALS for power and BUDGET, all you would need is a supercharger kit.

That being said, You MUST go by the old racers CODE.

FAST, CHEEP, RELIABLE!

Pick TWO cause you cant have all three!

For reliability , you should:

Change the VALVE SPRINGS and make the valve train more reliable. New upgraded trunions and stronger pushrods. New timing chain. The GM LS1 chain that you have is VERY WEAK and doesn't do well at all with added STRESS. Most people install a blower cam for optimal boosted performance. Good time to install the better chain, new performance lifters, new lifter buckets, oil pump and a timing chain dampener.

Don't know if your kit comes with a new dampener but you will have to get a new one as the GM Dampeners SUCK and fail without notice. The new one will need to be PINED to the crank!!!

Back to power goals. WHAT do you expect (or should I say desire) for a power increase??????? Depending on that answer, you may need to be very friendly with you accountant!

The more power you infuse, the more drivetrain work your going to need!

Traction!! That will be an issue. Better tires, with more meat! If you have RUN FLATS, they are NOT the best tires to put power to the pavement. At least not the run of the mill run flat tires.

Is your car an A4 or MN6???????? The A4 transmission will have a shorter life with added power. The third and fourth gear clutch packs and sun shell will fail in short order. If you have a CLUTCH, stand by for clutch issues caused by the extra power (read clutch replacement) How many miles on the car and drivetrain???

Wheel HOP. Most stock C5s have weak suspensions. Yes your corvette was only designed to support basically stock C5 Power. when you pass the 400-420 RWHP level, shortcomings will rear their ugly heads.

Your SHOCKS are most likely very worn or useless and will not do well with the added power. Transmission and engine mounts will most likely need to be up-graded for best performance.

COOLING. Depending on where you live, cooling could be a BIG factor and you may need to install a bigger aftermarket radiator. A4 will need a good aftermarket cooler. On most supercharger kits, the radiator is repositioned to lay flatter to properly fit the tube that connect the intercooler outlet to the TB.

This is a short list.. Keep you wallet tuned and ready support!!

BC
My 8 grand quote might be low ???
Old 10-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Now you did it, Hmmmm I might swing that !
All part of my evil plan.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg_E
All part of my evil plan.

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 Coupe/ LS1 Upgrade Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Coupe/ LS1 Upgrade Question