C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a difference in aftermarket fuel rails?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Is there a difference in aftermarket fuel rails?

As the title says, just curious if there is anything that makes one brand of aftermarket fuel rail better/worse than another? Aside from color and design details, does anything else matter in the decision? I'm assuming fuel flow all measure similar and there is no performance advantage.

The reason I ask is because this winter I'm planning to redo my engine bay and part of that may include a set of fuel rails to add some color and a cleaner look. I have a 2004 as reference. I'll be using the stock LS6 intake and relocating coils to the top of the covers (Proform setup). Just planing ahead to begin research and budget.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

the rails themselves are all pretty similar just make sure to get some that use billet mounting blocks and not the dinky little brackets to bolt them to the manifold... high fuel pressure can cause the brackets to flex and you will end up with fuel spraying all over the engine, not good... also test fit them with no orings on the injectors and rails completely bolted down and then make sure you have no up or down play in the injectors... I have seen some of the fast mounting blocks that I'm assuming weren't machined properly and under high pressure would pop the injector out past the oring and again cause a fuel leak... if you build your own setup budget around $300-400 for the rails and all necessary lines/fittings... personally I think they look better when you do it yourself... the kits I've seen the crossover hose always seems to be too long and looks a little sloppy to me, just my opinion
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Thanks Neutron.

I was looking at this set up from Holley. Doesn't look like it has the mounting block though. I didn't see any that did at Jegs, not that I need to purchase there. It was just where I had been looking when I was searching other parts.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/534-210/10002/-1
Old 10-30-2016, 11:00 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

fast rails use mounting blocks, these are pretty nice too http://www.nastyperformance.com/shop...ck-fuel-rails/ ... I want to say dallas performance used to make different mounting blocks as well if you wanted to use different types of injectors but I'm not 100% positive... if you end up painting your intake black along with black valve covers and have the rails powdercoated blue I think that would look pretty slick... that's kinda the same route I went just with red rails instead to match the car, and if you relocate the coils it will look even better

Last edited by neutron82; 10-30-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:00 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Reviving this thread as I'm still waiting on some funds to make purchases and haven't quite decided on the final setup.

Question came to mind though of fuel flow and if using a rail that is 5/8" inner diameter such as the Holley I linked earlier would be too much for a basic bolt on car? Assuming the tune afterwards would adjust for it? I honestly just doing this for looks more than anything else.

For reference, I have Blackwing intake, XS Power catted LT's and Xpipe, and GHL Bullets. Car has the factory 241 heads and LS6 intake. No cam.

Last edited by imgn tht; 12-07-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

any excess fuel that isn't used is going to be sent back to the tank through the return so the extra rail capacity shouldn't be an issue... if you aren't changing anything other than the rails you shouldn't need a retune... -6 is about the same size as the stock feed line so you could run that off the line at the firewall to feed the rails, they also make a quick connect adapter that snaps onto the stock line and is -an on the other end... -6 is capable of supplying plenty of fuel for your mods, that will work fine and if you ever plan to make big power that would surpass the factory lines fuel capabilities then you can worry about upping the size of the line at that time... if you are doing a crossover at the front of the rails you can use -6 there as well but I think -8 or even -10 looks better but this is just a preference, it won't have any bearing on what you are trying to do other than looks
Old 12-07-2016, 10:51 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Unless you are approaching 600-700 crank HP the stock fuel rail systm is plenty adequate
--- Most people upgrade the fuel rail simply for "looks" which is still OK however don't expect any HP improvements
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Thanks guys. That's what I needed to know. Wasn't really expecting any hp increases. Was more concerned I would over tax the systen and run too rich.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a difference in aftermarket fuel rails?

Quick Reply: Is there a difference in aftermarket fuel rails?