C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TopGear Autosport Halo Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:24 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by alcoed
A load resister is needed because the ballasts do not draw enough current to trigger lid movement.

Perhaps in your experience, but mine has been just the opposite.
I have installed several HID kits into C5s using relay harnesses and never needed a resistor in the circuit and the headlamp motors have always worked just fine.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by alcoed
Installed these assemblies in my 03 anne. very happy with the results. Look great and I can see at night. Got hids' in all fours. installed a h4 relay so the lows don't go out when the highs are on. Wired the halos so they are on with the side markers. They can be on without any hid's, on with park lights. Also hids' in fog lights.
Got any pics of the actual illumination, not the headlights themselves?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:35 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I have the black ones but haven't installed them yet. They are made by whoever took over ACA. They came with all the necessary wiring.

I'm wondering if the Halo might help with lid operation (by adding more amperage)? I was going to wire the halo to the fogs so I could cruise around like a dodge challenger lol.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

If anything these would be great for modding and retrofitting bi-xenon projectors into, considering they're less expensive than a few of the current offerings. I've been trying to source relatively inexpensive ACA's/clones etc for just this purpose, so maybe it's time to step up and work on it.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You can put a H11 halogen in the low beam side with a 9006 to H11 wiring adapter pigtail.
I have some LED's I'm going to try first in the projector / low beam side then see how bright it is with halogen. I'm not expecting any mericals with the LED's.

I haven't gotten that far in my build yet. Right now, I can't see crap with the factory lights without the high beams on. I'm sure the projectors have to be an improvement for any bulb.

Last edited by Rob 02; 11-23-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:19 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

This summer I bought my first ever Vette, a nice C5. This headlight assembly mod was the first update I did to the car. With the install, I added Innovation 8000K 50 watt HID bulbs and Innovation 50 watt ballasts, replacing the low beams. I kept the halogen high beams. The head light assembly uses projectors for the low beams. The HID bulbs are designed to work with projector head light housings. This combination lights up the road like nothing you have ever seen. Great coverage with no spill over into the oncoming traffic. A vast improvement over the stock C5 head lights. Well worth doing.

Buy good bulbs with metal latch tabs. The bulbs take a lot to compress the gaskets enough to engage the latch tabs for installing the bulbs into the housings. The metal latch tabs are able to take the pressure of the gasket compression better than the plastic tabs on some bulbs. This was my experience with the modification.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 12-08-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:37 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob 02
You can put a H11 halogen in the low beam side with a 9006 to H11 wiring adapter pigtail.
I have some LED's I'm going to try first in the projector / low beam side then see how bright it is with halogen. I'm not expecting any mericals with the LED's.

I haven't gotten that far in my build yet. Right now, I can't see crap with the factory lights without the high beams on. I'm sure the projectors have to be an improvement for any bulb.
If you want to see some impressive results, try the HID bulbs and ballasts. HIDs in projector housings are much more effective then are LEDs.
The following users liked this post:
Rob 02 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

^I may be sold on HID. There's nothing like being able to see the road ahead of you at speed.

With the stock housing I can't even see the markings painted on the road without high beams. It's a little sketchy.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:17 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob 02
^I may be sold on HID. There's nothing like being able to see the road ahead of you at speed.

With the stock housing I can't even see the markings painted on the road without high beams. It's a little sketchy.
I live in Illinois. I bought my Vette from a guy in Minnesota. In driving the car home, we ran into the evening hours. What you are talking about is exactly what I experienced getting the car home at night.

The first thing I did when I got home was to order and replace the stock head lights with HID projector housings, and not LEDs. HIDs are amazing and provide amazing visibility.

LEDs are only OK. They do not through light as far as HIDs while also keeping the light down and not in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Quick Reply: TopGear Autosport Halo Projector Headlights