C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal in Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 02:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Yup, thought about opening the valley cover. I'll check out your link! Does your camera have a cord that retains the shape you bend it into? I have one (at work) that is on a wire but I'd have to tape it to a coat hanger.

I emailed Blackstone to see if their analysis can differentiate between metal from cam, lifters, timing gears / chain, oil pump, ... I suggested that I could send them my oil filter element containing the metal. I'll see what they say. Damn Froggy I already put my track tires to bed in the warm basement so a couple of hot sessions is out ;-) Your right about it probably not requiring a lot of miles, I did ask Bstone how many to do.

I pulled but didn't disassemble one trunnion. The rocker rolls VERY smooth with no play. I'll pull them all and see how they feel. I really don't want to disassemble / reassemble and take a chance of damaging but I guess its better than pulling the cam or heads and not finding anything either.

I guess my plan of attack will be:
Wait to hear back from Blackstone
Pull all trunnions
Pull valley cover and look at the visible lobes / try endoscope
Pull heads / lifters

Unfortunately, I have to get the car in for emissions testing so I need to put the valve covers back on and make a quick drive for the test.

In the mean time, if the heads come off I'm pretty much decided on some PRC "as cast" 225 heads to replace my 853's. I'll increase the compression and run some large diameter pushrods. Still need to read up on what lifters to use ... but all that will be in another thread.

Thanks!
Good plan, good luck!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:13 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

No, the wire is very flexible. However, I have taped it to bendable objects to get it where it needs to go. One thing that works well if you can find it is the aluminum ground wire for the old analog antennas that would go on the roof of a house. I use this for a lot of things, like holding calipers while I work on brakes and such. I would maybe put some heat shrink over it if you use it in the motor to keep the bare aluminum from scraping anything although it is a lot softer than the cam. The one in the link has adjustable LED lights on the end and they are pretty bright when you crank them up.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Heard back from Blackstone. They could offer some assistance but it didn't sound promising. They also can't analyze big (visible) metal particles but said if there are large particles there will also be small particles. They suggested 500-1000 miles be put on the new oil.

They did provide the contact info for a company that offers oil FILTER analysis. I haven't contacted them but thought I post that info if it helps someone else:

Howard Fenton - Oil filter testing
7820 S. 70th East Avenue
Tulsa, OK 74133-7805
(918)492-5844
HowardFentonTul@cs.com
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (12-06-2016)
Old 02-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

I finally was able to pull the rockers. Before even disassembling, close examination of the area where the trunnion goes into the bearing shows lots of glistening "stuff" in the oil.

I popped one open and sure enough the trunnion is toast. Almost looks like the surface peeled leaving the brittle texture underneath. The surface finish on all the roller bearings doesn't look that great. I wonder if poor bearing finish is whats causing the trunnions to fail. I'll take a look at a few with a high power microscope next week.

I placed one of the slivers (show in the first post) on the bad trunnion and the radius seems to match as well as the thickness.

I'll take apart one later today that doesn't seem to have glistening particles and see how it looks.

I will NEVER install anything associated with Comp Cams into my car again!
The following users liked this post:
miami993c297 (02-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 AM
southpaw0314
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
I finally was able to pull the rockers. Before even disassembling, close examination of the area where the trunnion goes into the bearing shows lots of glistening "stuff" in the oil.

I popped one open and sure enough the trunnion is toast. Almost looks like the surface peeled leaving the brittle texture underneath. The surface finish on all the roller bearings doesn't look that great. I wonder if poor bearing finish is whats causing the trunnions to fail. I'll take a look at a few with a high power microscope next week.

I placed one of the slivers (show in the first post) on the bad trunnion and the radius seems to match as well as the thickness.

I'll take apart one later today that doesn't seem to have glistening particles and see how it looks.

I will NEVER install anything associated with Comp Cams into my car again!

I know it’s been a while but do you have an update on this?

-adam
Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Wow, that was two years ago already!

Changed to CHE bushings and the metal has gone away. Problem solved!
The following 3 users liked this post by Rx7Rob:
Kubs (12-20-2019), miami993c297 (12-18-2019), southpaw0314 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow, good news, so much better than a Rod bearing.

I decided last week to order two sets of CHE Trunnion kit for your C5's

Michael.

Quick Reply: Metal in Oil Filter