C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JWM and Radioflyer Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Default JWM and Radioflyer Headlights

Hoping someone can explain what is different between the two. I am unclear as both look the same but priced differently. Are the light patterns the same between the two?

Link to JWM:
http://jwmotorsportsllc.com/JW-Motor...hts_p_100.html

Link to Radioflyer:
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...lights-015.htm

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:45 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Two differences I am aware of, 1) Radioflyers lens assemblies are high quality bi-xenon projectors (lens handles both low/high beam functions) and 2) the assembly has been modified enough to correct the misalignment of the halogen high beam to now line up with the Bi-xenon projector.

I've had Radioflyer HID headlights/fogs, and led switchbacks installed for a few years. Great products, everything was plug and play, no problems with the headlight buckets raising/lowering and excellent customer support.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MAC5; 11-23-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Apparently you did NOT read the information below the RadioFlyer picture in the link you provided about the Bi-Xenon modifications he makes.................
I came here for help not passive aggressive comments. I did read it, but was unclear until I read MAC5's post and then rereading the descriptions on the sites.

Thanks MAC5.

What I am understanding is that the bi-xenons are providing both high and low beam functionality (in the outer projector) to give instant high beams, which are augmented by the inner halogen high beam projector that has been aligned to the light beam pattern of the outer one. If so, one could then go with a single HID hi-beam with the associated ballasts in the inner projector as the outer high beam would be on instantly while the inner one warms up. Not that I would do that, but just trying to really understand how else it could be set up.

Lots of videos on the corner lights but have not found anything on the radioflyer headlight functions.

Last edited by raztek; 11-23-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:58 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by raztek
I came here for help not passive aggressive comments. I did read it, but was unclear until I read MAC5's post and then rereading the descriptions on the sites.

Thanks MAC5.

What I am understanding is that the bi-xenons are providing both high and low beam functionality (in the outer projector) to give instant high beams, which are augmented by the inner halogen high beam projector that has been aligned to the light beam pattern of the outer one. If so, one could then go with a single HID hi-beam with the associated ballasts in the inner projector as the outer high beam would be on instantly while the inner one warms up. Not that I would do that, but just trying to really understand how else it could be set up.

Lots of videos on the corner lights but have not found anything on the radioflyer headlight functions.
As for installing another HID set up in the high beam reflector portion of the assembly, I guess that would be possible. The scattered light generated by that reflector might be annoying.

In regard to your last sentence about headlight function, its a little unclear as to what your looking for.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:07 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAC5
As for installing another HID set up in the high beam reflector portion of the assembly, I guess that would be possible. The scattered light generated by that reflector might be annoying.

In regard to your last sentence about headlight function, its a little unclear as to what your looking for.
No worries MAC5, I think I have the info I needed. Was hoping to see some video but not required. There are plenty of pics.

Looks like it boils down to a couple hundred bucks more going with Radioflyer for bixenon capability on the outer light and more output on high beam (as both inner and outer would be on) vs. with JWM you have HID on low which will switch off (or maybe stay on?) when high beam is enabled along with a less than optimal high beam pattern/projection.

Will dig around on how big a difference the high beam issue is as I would not be using them on a regular basis where I live. Besides when there is oncoming traffic I would switch to lows regardless.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Would be great if someone with JWM lights without the high beam correction chimes in.

Last edited by raztek; 11-23-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:40 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Found the post that explains everything. George will be reaching out to you when the thaw sets in...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...flyer-gp1.html
Old 11-23-2016, 09:49 PM
joeflyer
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The bi-xenon hi-beams on the RadioFlyer lights work so well that the inner hi-beams aren't even necessary.

Last edited by joeflyer; 11-29-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:24 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I agree. I've had them on my C5 since they were available and they are awesome. I wish that the headlights on my C7 were as good...

Originally Posted by joeflyer
The bi-xenon hi-beams on the RadioFlyer lights work so well that the inner hi-beams aren't even necessary. The setup is worth $200 more.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The bi-xenon will provide a better high beam for sure if you use your highs a lot. Ours uses the standard reflector. Most will use their halogen bulbs, or we can upgrade the highs with a HID kit. With the low beam projector, you're still going to have a nice sharp low beam where you need it.

We've found most owners don't use them enough to justify the cost. We're just trying to provide a more cost effective option on our end.

Even with our kit, you will still have lows on when you switch to highs. The wiring harness sent with the kit will include that function.

PM me direct with any further questions. We do have a nice sale on these through Cyber Monday.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-special.html

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the radio flyer version and the light was great! The output from the Morimoto projectors is very even! No experience with the un-modified ACAs however.

I do use my high beams often and the combined light output really helps. Especially with the HIR high beams the ACAs were certified to take (though most just use the original 9005).

I ended up swapping to the SLC V2 because my headlights had a bit of vibration that was extremely noticeable with the sharp cutoff from the projectors.

Last edited by Cliff8928; 11-24-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:52 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
I ended up swapping to the SLC V2 because my headlights had a bit of vibration that was extremely noticeable with the sharp cutoff from the projectors.
I have read about the vibration a couple of times, has anyone come up with a fix for it?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out what one member did here...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ight=headlight
Old 11-25-2016, 09:41 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
Check out what one member did here...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ight=headlight
Thanks for posting this. Forgot that I had read that before lol. Bookmarking this thread so I have all the info I need when buying these and just go with the mods suggested in the above link at the time of install itself

Thanks all for your posts!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Advantages of Radioflyer headlights:

Bi-xenon Projector optics.
- HID high and low beam from a single HID bulb. High beam is a "wall of light" effectively illuminating even the darkest roads.
- Better-focused pattern from our projectors increases effective "throw" reducing eye strain and allowing the driver to see further.
- Additional 16 degrees of width of pattern allowing for pattern spread nearly the full width of the windshield. Country roads with tight turns are no longer a mystery.

Radioflyer lights also correct problems with the original design:
- LED Dedicated high beam not only matches the HID projector but produces a floodlight pattern that negates the mis alignment issue of the old version
- Radioflyer HID ballasts do not require a dangerously hot load resistor to maintain correct raise/lower function.
- Radioflyer headlights use the factory connections with no large relay harness needed. The included Hi-4 harness tucks away in the fusebox/battery area

Comparison of optics between both lights using the same wattage HID bulb in each:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580179445
Old 12-05-2016, 04:41 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Comparison of optics between both lights using the same wattage HID bulb in each:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580179445
WOW!!!!! great comparison there. As i have said before, I'll reiterate it now. I don't drive my C5 at night because i don't like bug guts, or deer. I still want a set of these lights.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by raztek
I have read about the vibration a couple of times, has anyone come up with a fix for it?
There are many posts on the "jiggle" and ways to reduce it.
Google "HID Jiggle"

I have a post in there somewhere.........once I modified I had no more jiggle. It is just the design of the C5 headlight system.....lots of slop that you just can't see when using the OEM halogen lights.

Get notified of new replies

To JWM and Radioflyer Headlights

Quick Reply: JWM and Radioflyer Headlights