C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More winter storage questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Windrider354
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More winter storage questions

I'm storing my C5 in an unheated locker with no electrical outlet.
Should I take the battery out now and put it on my CTEK charger or wait till spring? Does it make any difference?

Also it's due for an oil change. Same question - now, spring or does it make any difference?

I ran it on nice days last year but had to jump it each time. Kind of a nuisance, so thinking of just letting it sit till spring this year.

Thanks for any advice. (Aside from moving to Florida).
Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Windrider354
I'm storing my C5 in an unheated locker with no electrical outlet.
Should I take the battery out now and put it on my CTEK charger or wait till spring? Does it make any difference?

Also it's due for an oil change. Same question - now, spring or does it make any difference?

I ran it on nice days last year but had to jump it each time. Kind of a nuisance, so thinking of just letting it sit till spring this year.

Thanks for any advice. (Aside from moving to Florida).
Hook up charger with battery connected--you will be good come spring--oil doesnt matter--i would wait until spring
Old 12-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

yes take the batt out, keep it in a semi-warm place, charge when needed. Lots of debate on oil change, I feel sitting all winter in a un-heated garage will cause condensation so change it in the spring.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With no electrical power in the storage area, it would be a good idea to remove the battery and bring it inside. You can hook up a maintainer and leave it or just hook it up until the maintainer indicates a full charge then disconnect it. A battery just sitting on a shelf that has a full charge will be fine even after 3-4 months of not being connected to anything.

When you are ready to drive the car, it can't hurt to install the maintainer a day before, letting the battery come to a full charge then put the battery in the car.

You will have to reset all of the memory stuff and drive the car for awhile.
The following users liked this post:
Windrider354 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Spoke to Evil Twin who is retired from GM and helped develop the oil life monitor (OLM) system in the C5. He was very specific, change the oil before storage to get clean oil on the bearings. Not sure how many miles are on your oil, but there is a reason GM requires annual change even if you don't drive much. Then, don't start over the winter.

As for the battery, pull it out and put it on your work bench. I charge mine with the CTEK once a month. No issues for a lot of years.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

If you change the oil now make sure you run it for a few minutes, then don't start again until spring. I change mine spring time (on ramps now so I don't start with old oil).
No outlet, move battery inside on maintainer.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:47 PM
FNHOSTL1
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said. If you have no electrical, pull the battery until Spring and put it on a tender. You shouldn't have had to have been jumping the battery all Summer though, so replacement may be in order. As for oil, I've always been a fan of changing oil just before I put her away for the winter. I like to lift all four tires up of the concrete as well and put them on wheel dollies.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

Undoubtedly remove the battery. You're already having issues with it. A discharged battery will freeze. You don't want your battery to leak in your car.

Take the battery to have it load tested. If it is good, store it in your basement off the concrete. If bad toss it and wait till spring to buy new.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Spoke to Evil Twin who is retired from GM and helped develop the oil life monitor (OLM) system in the C5. He was very specific, change the oil before storage to get clean oil on the bearings. Not sure how many miles are on your oil, but there is a reason GM requires annual change even if you don't drive much. Then, don't start over the winter.

As for the battery, pull it out and put it on your work bench. I charge mine with the CTEK once a month. No issues for a lot of years.
on both counts. I change the oil in mine at the time I put the car in storage for the winter. I have electrical outlets in my garage so no need to pull the battery out of my car, but since your storage place does not have electricity available, pull the battery and just connect it to your charger/maintainer every so often to keep it charged.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:22 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Remove Battery- Then no chance of corrosion on terminals, spillage etc

Change The Oil --- No debate here. You don't want the condensation and pollutants
that are already in the oil to sit on your bearings, etc all winter.
Oil is Cheap !!! I've never figured out why people try to save
$45 A Year by NOT changing oil. It;s not a 1998 Honda Civic..'
It's a corvette - take care of it.. just my rant there.
BTW, I store mine in an unheated storage unit with my Seadoos. No Power Either.
and it's 55 miles away. I clean clean everything.. change oil. Fill up on NO Ethanol fuel,
put in Stabil in fuel and drive it down there...
In spirng , I put in battery back in (freshly charged), And drive it home.
Then I change oil and filter- shucks, another $45 .....
And I'm good for the summer (unless i get a summer I get to drive it alot)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

One other thought for the OP, I am on the coast of RI and condensation is an issue. As stated, I change my oil before storage and remove the battery. I also store my car in a carbag, which keeps it absolutely dry and clean for the winter. Rotors don't even develop a layer of brown.

Get notified of new replies

To More winter storage questions

Quick Reply: More winter storage questions