C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Shifter Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Thompson95
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Shifter Problem!

So this isn't the first time this has happened but I was able to temporarily fix it before I guess. My shifter had been getting suck into the gear it was in. I would shift it into 4th gear and then I went to shift it out, but all that happened was I felt a hard resistance with a slight vibration that wasn't letting me shift into another gear. I tried to force it into another gear and was able to get it into 3rd gear. Now it just doesn't want to leave 3rd or neutral. Before when this happened I was able to get it back to normal and I replaced the clutch fluid, since I read that dirty clutch fluid can cause this or the clutch to go bad. So I started replacing the clutch fluid regularly. This seemed to help as I didn't have this problem for a couple more months. Now it returned. I can't move the shifter with the car off either. I have read around the forum and thought it could be the clutch slave going bad or maybe warn clutch. There was also some slight grinding when I would shift from 1st to 4th real quick, but if I shifted into 3rd first then I wouldn't really ever have the quick grind. So I don't think its the transmission. Maybe its bad shift forks or synchros, I'm not sure. I hope its the clutch, since that is much cheaper to replace. Anyone know for sure judging by the symptoms?

I am bringing the car in to get checked out tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.

I haven't ever bled the clutch slave, I feel that might help but not sure if that't the problem if I can't shift when the car isn't running.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have these problems only with the car running, or also engine off?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

make sure your shifter mount grommets are not worn-out and do a shifter alignment.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Thompson95
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just did a shifter alignment recently. Which it happened prior to the alignment too. Haven't checked the grommets though.

It happens with the car off also.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck Shifter Problem!

Quick Reply: Stuck Shifter Problem!