C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking Pucks, standard vs. snap in type

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:23 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Jacking Pucks, standard vs. snap in type

I am looking into buying jack pucks for my C5. My options are snap in type that remain on the car all the time, or standard temporary drop in type.

Are there advantages in one type over the other?
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-10-2018)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I have used the BMW style snap in and I just leave them in.
That way they are always there when I need them. Had them in for 10 years and 70k on my 99. First thing I bought for my 03.
Check RockAuto.com........cheapest I have seen
Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
That way they are always there when I need them. Had them in for 10 years and 70k on my 99. First thing I bought for my 03.

I need to get the jacking tools for my 2003. I've been just driving up on 2by10 pcs stepped up to 3 but is there a reasonable priced jack for these cars? I already have the small aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight but it's too short and after this last weekend I see where this is an awkward task.
I'd rather jack it than ramp it or do you need to do both?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Those are the ones I use also. Should I need to take my car in for service or even if I just do something to the car myself that requires jacking the car up, I do not have to worry about whether there will be damage from a lift pad.

Obviously I would recommend the snap in type.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

So then, the snap in pucks are tall enough to prevent damage to the body panel attachments points when a jack is positioned? By contrast, the temporary pucks seem much taller, and thereby may assure that the jack pad will not contact the body attachment points, specifically where the right and left fenders attach to the frame near the puck locations? Yes/No?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I use hockey pucks. Cheap, soft and work well. Had the machined aluminum but there were some guys who had frame damage because the surface area was too small. The advantage of hockey pucks is you can stack them if you need more lift.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Got a link or p/n?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

JR, you mind sharing which model or part number that you order from Rockauto?

I just want to make sure that I get the right ones..

Old 12-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Blownchevelle68
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm using these pucks on a non lowered '04 Z....No issues and can easily run my jack under car and the pucks without having to drive up onto ramps, wood, etc. Just leave a couple in my trunk just in case.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I am looking into buying jack pucks for my C5. My options are snap in type that remain on the car all the time, or standard temporary drop in type.

Are there advantages in one type over the other?
I've been debating on getting them myself and after looking at a lot of pictures and prices and metal versus rubber and the whole bit I looked on Amazon and got 12 hockey pucks in a bag for $19 which it seems a lot of guys use and you can double stack them if needed. I think that's how a lot of these specialized pucks start out to begin with.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
So then, the snap in pucks are tall enough to prevent damage to the body panel attachments points when a jack is positioned? By contrast, the temporary pucks seem much taller, and thereby may assure that the jack pad will not contact the body attachment points, specifically where the right and left fenders attach to the frame near the puck locations? Yes/No?
All you are trying to do is prevent contact between the lifting device and the rocker panels. You don't need a very thick puck. You don't even need pucks if you're careful on the placement of your lifting device. The pucks are an added safety measure.

As far as temporary vs snap in, if you're forgetful, go with the snap in or a type that doesn't engage into the frame. Otherwise, you will use the pucks, forget you have them on the frame, go for a drive, lose them, and have to buy replacements.

I personally don't use jacking pucks. I prefer to lift from the front or back locations and lift both fronts or backs at the same time. Any time I'm jacking up the car, it is to service both sides anyway. I use a low profile jack I bought from Harbor Freight.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:12 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD

As far as temporary vs snap in, if you're forgetful, go with the snap in or a type that doesn't engage into the frame. Otherwise, you will use the pucks, forget you have them on the frame, go for a drive, lose them, and have to buy replacements.
The BMW style snap in pucks do engage the frame and will stay put unless pried out. For me, this is their advantage.......they are always there. They also don't show like the hockey puck style tend to.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:24 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
All you are trying to do is prevent contact between the lifting device and the rocker panels. You don't need a very thick puck. You don't even need pucks if you're careful on the placement of your lifting device. The pucks are an added safety measure.

As far as temporary vs snap in, if you're forgetful, go with the snap in or a type that doesn't engage into the frame. Otherwise, you will use the pucks, forget you have them on the frame, go for a drive, lose them, and have to buy replacements. jack:

I personally don't use jacking pucks. I prefer to lift from the front or back locations and lift both fronts or backs at the same time. Any time I'm jacking up the car, it is to service both sides anyway. I use a low profile jack I bought from Harbor Freight.
Do you spread the load the over the cross member with a 2x6 or something first. I've just got mine and been wondering about all these things, Never had one before
Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

The BMW style snap in pucks do engage the frame and will stay put unless pried out. For me, this is their advantage.......they are always there. They also don't show like the hockey puck style tend to.
What happens when you need to get your car towed? Where does the tow guy put the hooks to winch you up on the flatbed?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:48 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbitman
Do you spread the load the over the cross member with a 2x6 or something first. I've just got mine and been wondering about all these things, Never had one before
Yes. I use a 2x4.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by huesmann
What happens when you need to get your car towed? Where does the tow guy put the hooks to winch you up on the flatbed?
Most of them hook onto the engine cradle, have had two friends who happened to have their towed and that is where they pulled from. Not a pretty sight.

The easy answer to the OP's question is how often to you think you will use them. Once in a lifetime.....hockey pucks, 1-15 times a month get the BMW type. During the April-November time frame I autocross/HPDE 3 times a month and use some agressive brake pads (heavy corrosive dusting) and jack up the wheels at least 3 times/month. When making changes, aligning, replacing parts, etc it can easily be another 5-10 times in a month.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:14 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by huesmann
They snap in and can be easily pried back out with a screwdriver
Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You have probably seen my post if you are shopping jacking pucks. If you do decide to order from me and are in anyway unsatisfied with the product and how they work I will pay return shipping. No risk to you. I haven't personally used the snap in type but I have used the aluminum pucks and they suck! I like mine and don't sell products to people I wouldn't use myself. Good luck with your decision.

For me I would never make a purchase decision like leave in pucks so I don't have to worry about the service guy remembering to use them. I don't let ANYONE just do whatever they want to my cars without me watching everything they do.

Probably why the dealers never do the work on my cars including oil changes.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

If I go to tire shop, or any shops when car needs to get serviced, are those pucks a must have? or shops will ruin the car if they don't know how to jack it up?! also I got ground effects in the Z06. side skirts are what they will mess up if they have never done a C7 before right?

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking Pucks, standard vs. snap in type

Quick Reply: Jacking Pucks, standard vs. snap in type