C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Circuit/Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Rick Jefferies
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Circuit/Battery Drain

I have a 2003 50th Anniversary and dealer has diagnosed battery drain with key off to 2 problems, a faulty BCM and bad lumbar pump on drivers side. I am dubious it could be both and parts costs are exorbitant ($1331 for BCM and $810 for lumbar pump). It appears those parts are available for a total of no more than $450. I know a Tech 2 is required to program the new BCM. Any advise?
Old 12-08-2016, 03:08 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Jefferies
I have a 2003 50th Anniversary and dealer has diagnosed battery drain with key off to 2 problems, a faulty BCM and bad lumbar pump on drivers side. I am dubious it could be both and parts costs are exorbitant ($1331 for BCM and $810 for lumbar pump). It appears those parts are available for a total of no more than $450. I know a Tech 2 is required to program the new BCM. Any advise?
Pull the lumbar fuse (#3 in the engine bay fuse box) and see if the drain goes away
Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
Pull the lumbar fuse (#3 in the engine bay fuse box) and see if the drain goes away
Does that fuse control both lumbar seat pumps and if you just leave it out does it cause any other problems?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I wonder if it is related to the bad solder joints on the relays inside the seat control module. Do what 8Vette7 said and also see if there are any codes.

I am doubting that the body control module is the problem (though possible).

Why wouldn't they suspect the seat control module in there "troubleshooting" ?

Last edited by Rob 02; 12-09-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:42 AM
IronJaw
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is always a drain on the battery in a vet , or any other newer car with all of the computers and anti-theft stuff running when the car is turned off . Those systems need to be using volts to operate , if you use the car a lot it's no problem but if it is being sucked dead in 2 or 3 days it could be a battery problem as mine was or the pump might be bad . I replaced the battery with a mat battery and have not had a problem since . My lumbar pump still doesn't work but I have a replacement , just remember that if it's gonna sit for a week or 2 in the garage it might drain down far enough that it may not start .
Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IronJaw
There is always a drain on the battery in a vet , or any other newer car with all of the computers and anti-theft stuff running when the car is turned off . Those systems need to be using volts to operate , if you use the car a lot it's no problem but if it is being sucked dead in 2 or 3 days it could be a battery problem as mine was or the pump might be bad . I replaced the battery with a mat battery and have not had a problem since . My lumbar pump still doesn't work but I have a replacement , just remember that if it's gonna sit for a week or 2 in the garage it might drain down far enough that it may not start .
My fairly new 2014 Sonata throws a pretty good spark too when the battery is hooked back up. I've never let it set for more than 3 weeks though and so far it's ben ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Open Circuit/Battery Drain

Quick Reply: Open Circuit/Battery Drain