C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Jauch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!!

I'm in need of any ASE Certified mechanic corvetteforum brothers, who would be willing to write me a statement to help me in a warranty dispute with GM/Dealer.

The Issue: 2001 Corvette Z06, grinding in 3rd, 4th and reverse geers. Bad syncros is the culprit. Took car to dealer, area warranty manager was called and voided entire car warranty because the CAGS had been disabled, which was unknown to me because I bought the car used and I didn't know about CAGS.

I need as many written statements as I can get from ASE mechanics stating that there is no way that CAGS Defeat has anything to do with the syncros going bad. I have been told by several mechanics that there is no way that has anything to do with my issue. I really need your guys help in this matter.

Thanks in Advance.

Email or Call if your willing to help.

timothy.vanbibber@tyc.state.tx.us
915-372-5795 x2244

Tim
Old 09-19-2002, 01:09 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!! (Jauch)

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) does not allow a manufacturer to void the entire warranty of an automobile. Its against federal law. It does allow however for components or parts of an automobile to be voided from warranty claim if an aftermarket part or modification can be directly attributable to the cause of failure.

In your case, eliminating the 1st to 4th CAGS shift in no way effects the internal operation of the transmission. Its simply a solenoid that gates the shift from 1st to 4th. (blocks 2nd gear). I would call the chevrolet customer service line, and go from there.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:14 PM
Jauch
Instructor

Default Re: ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!! (kewlbrz)

Thanks for the response. I'm having the dealership write up a statement on why my warranty was denied and voided, which I'll be picking up today. But, I would also like to have statements from tranmission mechanics, preferably ASE certificed stating that the CAGS has no bearing on the stated issue.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:20 PM
David Lively
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a lawyer or a certified mechanic. However, it seems that the burden of proof should be on them. See
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Old 09-19-2002, 03:21 PM
Jauch
Instructor

Default Re: ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!! (David Lively)

Well, I spoke with the used car dealership I purchased my car from and he said for me to bring the car to him and he has just spoken to the service manager at some chevy dealer in San Antonio and they will get my car fixed under warranty. He said it all complete BS, and that everyone disables the cags and it's no big deal. thanks for all your help guys. Your great.

Tim
Old 09-19-2002, 03:28 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's great news. Those jerks. :cheers:
Old 09-19-2002, 04:07 PM
deeb0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!! (Jerry Velders)

What's the name of the dealer who voided the warranty, so us TX guys know to stay away!
Old 09-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Jauch
Instructor

Default Re: ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!! (deeb0)

It's Jim Hoffpauir Chevrolet in Lampasas, TX. It's in the Central part of Texas, under 2 hours west of Austin. Close to home was the reason for me taking it there. I'll know better next time.

Get notified of new replies

To ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!!

Quick Reply: ASE Certified Mechanic - Need help!!