C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this tick sound like....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Yes it is. Once warm the noise is gone and does not come back until the motor is completely cooled down. I'm not saying this particular noise is nothing to be concerned about but I guess it is kind of reassuring to know others having this issue have been driving their cars for a good while without catastrophy
Don't get me wrong, sometimes it does come back even at normal temps, its a strange one but I plan on swapping out the lifters, pushrods, and valve springs anyways since she has high mileage.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:06 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight01
Don't get me wrong, sometimes it does come back even at normal temps, its a strange one but I plan on swapping out the lifters, pushrods, and valve springs anyways since she has high mileage.
Let us know if it solves the noise issue. I am convinced it is a lifter clicking until warmed up. Nothing to worry about. I have a SSR with the 5.3 vortec, so QUIET from cold to hot I have to put my ear to it to confirm it is running! Not all V8's are noisy!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:25 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Let us know if it solves the noise issue. I am convinced it is a lifter clicking until warmed up. Nothing to worry about. I have a SSR with the 5.3 vortec, so QUIET from cold to hot I have to put my ear to it to confirm it is running! Not all V8's are noisy!
I have a 2011 silverado 5.3 and it'quiet too. You can here lifter noise but it's not loud at all. I thought about buying new lifters, cups and pushrods but my luck I would swap them out and end up with the same lifter noise. I really don't have the time to do it and labor on that would prob be over a grand.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I read a bulletin about a ticking sound caused by a bad oil pump o-ring. It said it can be misdiagnosed as a lifter problem, has anyone had any experience with that??
Old 01-11-2017, 11:06 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
I read a bulletin about a ticking sound caused by a bad oil pump o-ring. It said it can be misdiagnosed as a lifter problem, has anyone had any experience with that??
Oil pressure suffers with a bad or wrong sized O-ring. How is your oil pressure?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Oil pressure suffers with a bad or wrong sized O-ring. How is your oil pressure?
Oil pressure has been fine with the exception of the other day. Took it out and oil pressure dropped to 0 while driving through town, I posted a thread with a video about.. I believe that may be a failing OPS. Other than that oil pressure is good.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:08 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I use a cheep mechanics stethoscope and listen to everything.
Mine was making a loud popping sound and believe it or not it was an exhaust leak.
The AIR check valves can get noisy.
The fuel injectors can get loud.
You can have arking from a bad plug wire or connection.
There could be something failing being driven by the belt.

You really need a way to localize the noise.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I use a cheep mechanics stethoscope and listen to everything.
Mine was making a loud popping sound and believe it or not it was an exhaust leak.
The AIR check valves can get noisy.
The fuel injectors can get loud.
You can have arking from a bad plug wire or connection.
There could be something failing being driven by the belt.

You really need a way to localize the noise.
I bought a mechanics stethoscope the other day and Im going to listen this weekend and try to pinpoint the noise. Ive tried before with a long screwdriver but didnt have much luck because it seemed to be coming from down in the motor under the intake
Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Did this just start or has this gone on since you bought the car? I had an issue with mine many years ago coming back from Bowling Green. A lot of low RPM 6th gear driving caused some carbon deposits that would rock the piston on cold start. Sounded like piston slap because my Pontiac had piston slap bad. I did a carbon cleaning and have never had the issue again.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:28 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Did this just start or has this gone on since you bought the car? I had an issue with mine many years ago coming back from Bowling Green. A lot of low RPM 6th gear driving caused some carbon deposits that would rock the piston on cold start. Sounded like piston slap because my Pontiac had piston slap bad. I did a carbon cleaning and have never had the issue again.
Well honestly it's hard to say. I only noticed it shortly after I had long tubes and a Dyno tune done but it could have started a while back and I just didn't notice it. I had Shorty headers on the car when I bought it so the sound shouldn't have changed that much going from shorties to Long tubes if the sound has been present from day one. I'm pretty **** about my car so I would be surprised if it's been making that sound a long time and I just never noticed it. Maybe it has been there but has recently gotten worse. The car sits alot unfortunately so I dont know if that has something to do with it or not.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

So I used a mechanics stethoscope today to get a good listen of the tapping and it is def coming from down in the motor. I was hoping I would catch a break and find out that it was just an exhaust leak but its def not coming from the manifolds or the valve covers... it's strange though because it takes a good 2 mins for it to start after cranking. The tick doesn't seem to be AS bad now as well.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The earlier ones were more prone to piston slap. After 2001 They started using LS6 pistons with a slightly different profile and coated skirts.

Quick Reply: Does this tick sound like....