C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance on super low mileage Z06.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:52 AM
Potent68
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Maintenance on super low mileage Z06.

I just bought a 2002 Torch Red Z06 with 8,7xx miles on it. As a 15 year old car I'm going to do some standard maintenance items to ensure everything is fresh before I start really driving it. So, now a question for anybody else who has ever picked up one of these super low mileage cars. I figure I should probably be safe and do all of the fluids and a tune up.

- engine oil
- transmission fluid
- rear differential oil
- brake fluid
- power steering fluid
- engine coolant
- clutch hydraulic fluid
- spark plugs
- fuel filter
- valve springs (build date 01/02 so better safe than sorry)

Am I missing anything? It has a blackwing air filter on it so I have left off the air filter. I'm also pretty sure (haven't checked yet) that it has the skip shift eliminator and the CLB installed already.

Is there a consolidation somewhere of the recommended fluid types, quantities, and filters?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 AM
REKCUF
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Don't forget to replace all cooling hoses & both belts!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Tires?

I would personally put new tensioners on the list as well just for peace of mind with the new belts.

I'd also check out the rubber suspension bits, on my 7k mile FRC the endlinks were falling apart.

Windshield wipers before you need them

Thermostat

plug wires don't hurt.

If you check out the last page of my thread you can see that I'm about to go through the same thing. along with some of the other funky issues I've had along the way.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Lmc5 !!!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

You have a good list to start with. I wouldn't worry about the spark plugs but would consider replacing the wires if they look dried out. The OEM plugs and wires are good for 100k miles. Then again, they aren't that expensive. Belt tensioners would be low on my list too.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
You have a good list to start with. I wouldn't worry about the spark plugs but would consider replacing the wires if they look dried out. The OEM plugs and wires are good for 100k miles. Then again, they aren't that expensive. Belt tensioners would be low on my list too.
wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs, and look at the condition, then reinstall with never-seize on the threads !!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Do plugs and wires for sure. Plugs are just gonna get harder to get out as time goes on.
Use dielectric grease in boots. anti seize on plug threads.

Looks like you got list pretty well covered..

I'd do tires IF they are original/over 7 years old.

Shocks may be something to do too.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice purchase. Just an FYI though. Do some research and search for threads about factory yellow valve springs breaking in Z's from 02 -04. You will find many cases where the springs have failed. The springs are brittle. If you are going to remove the plugs and wires I would go ahead and remove the a valve cover and see if your Z is still rocking the factory yellow springs. With the low mileage I would assume they are. You can buy replacement springs like the PAC 1218 Beehive's from PAC Racing. Not trying to steer you to a certain spring just one that comes to mind. Not sure but the spring issue may have made a "sticky" in the ZO6 section.

Not trying to alarm you, just want you to be aware. I'm the original owner of my 02 vert, so have been around the C5 for awhile.

Also, don't want to start a range war here but there are also may threads in here about whether or not to use anti seize on plugs. Most manufactures of plugs don't recommend it as they already come with it on them. I would go to the manufactures web page and see.
Back in the day of iron heads yes. But different story with aluminum heads.

Just some food for thought. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Flush the radiator
Old 01-12-2017, 04:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

tires tires tires

you don't really "need" to do the plugs but it wouldn't be a bad idea. same with wires. wires can start to leak as they age as the insulator around them starts to crack.

run a hot batch of techron through it too. 40-60oz in a tank of gas, if the injectors have any varnish from sitting this helps

redline d4 atf works wonderful in the transmission. i would use mobil1 in the rear end, 75-90w. the redline 75-90 is good for racing but the lsd additive is a bit too slick. i like a little more lockup. wix makes your fuel filter. your spark plug is ac delco 41-110, denso makes an identical OEM wire. dex cool coolant, either from GM or a major brand. brake fluid, best value is the ATE super blue or typ200

valve springs are the GM replacements $65-70 for a set of 16 from summit racing or others. as low of mileage as you have you probably don't have to change the valve seals but they do harden with and and new GM valve seals are $40 for all 16. they take about 15 seconds to install with the springs off. valve cover gaskets should be fine. easy to replace if one leaks.

Last edited by racebum; 01-12-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenance on super low mileage Z06.

Quick Reply: Maintenance on super low mileage Z06.