C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grind into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 PM
justin.
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Grind into Reverse

Hey guys!

I recently took out my Hurst Short throw to install my c6 shifter, upon backing it up it now grinds into reverse? I shifted into reverse like always, clutch fully in and a loud grind with the car bucking a tiny bit forward happened.

It never did this with the Hurst, any idea what could be the cause? Car has a Mcleod RXT in it for reference.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

IF, it didn't have the issue prior to shifter change:

1. Did you properly align the shifter so that it sits dead center in the neutral/3rd/4th gate???

2. Are you POSITIVE that your clutch is fully disengaging when you have it fully depressed???
Recommend that you jack up the rear of the car. Chock front wheels. engine running, trans in first, clutch fully depressed. The rear wheels should NOT be driving! They may rotate a little but,, you should easily be able to shop them by hand.

You said that the car tried to lurch FORWARD when you went to shift it into reverse! That means that the shifter did NOT fully go into the reverse gate or didn't fully exit the 5th/6th gate.

If it were me, I would reexamine the shifter installation and MAKE SURE that the screws that you used to secure the shifter plate to the box are not TOO LONG and that shifter plate is properly secured to the shift box. The shifter top plate SHOULD NOT MOVE when you shift into any gear/s

Let us know what you find.

Bill
Old 01-12-2017, 04:59 PM
justin.
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
IF, it didn't have the issue prior to shifter change:

1. Did you properly align the shifter so that it sits dead center in the neutral/3rd/4th gate???

2. Are you POSITIVE that your clutch is fully disengaging when you have it fully depressed???
Recommend that you jack up the rear of the car. Chock front wheels. engine running, trans in first, clutch fully depressed. The rear wheels should NOT be driving! They may rotate a little but,, you should easily be able to shop them by hand.

You said that the car tried to lurch FORWARD when you went to shift it into reverse! That means that the shifter did NOT fully go into the reverse gate or didn't fully exit the 5th/6th gate.

If it were me, I would reexamine the shifter installation and MAKE SURE that the screws that you used to secure the shifter plate to the box are not TOO LONG and that shifter plate is properly secured to the shift box. The shifter top plate SHOULD NOT MOVE when you shift into any gear/s

Let us know what you find.

Bill
Thanks for the great info Bill! is the Factory c6 shifter adjustable? My hurst one was but I didnt think the oem was, could I have not aligned it properly?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by justin.
Thanks for the great info Bill! is the Factory c6 shifter adjustable? My hurst one was but I didnt think the oem was, could I have not aligned it properly?
The LOWER BOX is adjustable and slides forward/aft. Put the Trans in N and move the box until the handle is centered. There is a HOLE in the front of the lower box front housing. Use a drill bit and if the box is in proper alignment you can insert the bit through the hole in the housing and hole in the shift shaft

OEM alignment pin inserted into the alignment hole:

Are you SURE that you have the correct length fasteners for the OEM shifter handle to lower housing and they are TIGHT and the shifter cant slide on the box?????

Get notified of new replies

To Grind into Reverse

Quick Reply: Grind into Reverse