C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble starting after sitting/on battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Boredom
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trouble starting after sitting/on battery tender

What do you guys think is the problem? Battery or altenator maybe? It takes quite a few slow cranks after sitting for a few weeks to start my car (00 C5). The entire time it sits it is on a battery tender. Even after sitting for 2 or so days it doesnt start very well. If i shut it off and start it a second time it starts perfect. Voltage drops down to 11 something when cranking and 12ish when the car is off.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Could be a number of things...Don't put all your stock in a battery tender. I've had four of them and put them on a timer as they do go bad themselves. The timer keeps them honest when they go bad. Search and you will find many examples.

How old is your battery? I would suspect the battery before the alternator.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Boredom
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately I cannot find a date on the top of the battery. I've owned the car going on 2 years though and its the same that was in it. The battery has lost full charge before from sitting before I bought the tender.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble starting after sitting/on battery tender

Quick Reply: Trouble starting after sitting/on battery tender