C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1) Baffling leak 2) strange driveline noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 PM
benspeeder
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1) Baffling leak 2) strange driveline noise

Reposted

1) I've got a highly modified 2001 Z06 with a leak I can't figure out. Periodically I get a drip on the garage floor the size of a half dollar under the engine, passenger side in line with the wheel, of fluid that is either power steering fluid or tranny fluid. It's pink, I confirmed its not coolant. Had the car up on jacks and we inspected for an hour, from top and bottom, can't figure it out, doen't see the source. It seems further forward than where the motor mates up with the bellhousing. Tranny fluid is topped up, power steering needed about 2 oz. Both of my fluids are pink in color and viscosity to the touch seems similar.

2) When the car is fully warmed up there is a horrible buzzing, spinning noise that seems to be coming up out of the bellhousing area when the clutch is engaged. It occurs infrequently and the car does not lose acceleration. It has a short shift kit installed from the previous owner. The noise will occur pulling away in first and rarely occurs when letting out the clutch in second. It is a high performance clutch, also installed by the PO. Doesn't seem to happen when cold, only after warmed up. Occurs more likely when really laying on the power i.e. made the noise every time when were taking off during autocross. No weird vibrations, clutch has grab, no warpage of the plates I can feel. Not a throw out bearing noise.

Both of these have me totally stumped. Before I take it to my race shop guy I want see if folks might have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: 1) Baffling leak 2) strange driveline noise