C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening rear engine cover, and upper oil pan bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Tightening rear engine cover, and upper oil pan bolts?

I have a slight oil leak from my engine. I am beginning to think it could be the real engine cover or the upper oil pan bolts.

What I was wondering, is if it is possible to tighten the bolts for these two components WITHOUT disassembling everything? Then tighten the bolts without removing the fly wheel, or dropping the cradle.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 02:59 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Anyone?

I guess the question was a little vague, and open ended. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can tighten the upper oil pan bolts without removing the suspension cradle? Also if I can tighten the rear engine cover without removing the flywheel and bell housing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider
Anyone?

I guess the question was a little vague, and open ended. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can tighten the upper oil pan bolts without removing the suspension cradle? Also if I can tighten the rear engine cover without removing the flywheel and bell housing?

Thanks in advance.
YES,,, You can tighten the upper pan bolts without too much parts removal. If I remember correctly, you will have to remove some bolt on stuff. Starter, transmission cooler lines (A4) NOTE!!!!!! Make SURE that you DO NOT tighten more than the torque spec!!!

You will need a LONG extension, a universal and a short socket. If I remember correctly, we used 1/4" drive stuff.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-18-2017 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SDLS1Rider (01-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

If it is the rear cover you have to remove everything from the engine back. There are lots of good threads on it so do your research before you start. It is not that hard of a job if you like to wrench and have the tools. If I remember correctly parts were only about $45. Here is a link to when I did it in my garage on jack stands, a lift would be very helpful. Good Luck

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ear-cover.html
The following users liked this post:
SDLS1Rider (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:59 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the feedback guys

I have an oil leak that appears to originate at the rear of lower oil pan and bell housing. There is no oil on the flywheel so I don't think it is the main seal. I have cleaned the area off with brake cleaner. But still can't find a definitive trail of oil. Generally I only get a drop or two when I take it out for a drive. So I not in a big hurry to track it if its behind the engine.

BTW, I have already replaced the lower oil pan gasket.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Simtech
If it is the rear cover you have to remove everything from the engine back. There are lots of good threads on it so do your research before you start. It is not that hard of a job if you like to wrench and have the tools. If I remember correctly parts were only about $45. Here is a link to when I did it in my garage on jack stands, a lift would be very helpful. Good Luck

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ear-cover.html
Yep, I've read your thread before. It popped up after a search for "rear cover".
Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider
Thanks for the feedback guys

I have an oil leak that appears to originate at the rear of lower oil pan and bell housing. There is no oil on the flywheel so I don't think it is the main seal. I have cleaned the area off with brake cleaner. But still can't find a definitive trail of oil. Generally I only get a drop or two when I take it out for a drive. So I not in a big hurry to track it if its behind the engine.

BTW, I have already replaced the lower oil pan gasket.
That sound exactly like mine. From what I have read the leak is actually at the top of the cover. My rear main seal looked perfect but it all comes with the cover plate so might as well replace it while you are there.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Vanessa Scott Lmt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if I take it for a quick spin n then hand tighten the T handle bolts...I should be ok n not chance over tightening them?!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vanessa Scott Lmt
So, if I take it for a quick spin n then hand tighten the T handle bolts...I should be ok n not chance over tightening them?!
WHAT,, are "T" Handle Bolts??

Any fasteners on the engine hae a designed TORQUE SPEC. Tighten the fasteners in question to the proper torque spec and be done with it.

The rear coer bolts are for the most part inaccessable If you have a leak at the rear cover, you hae to remove the bell housing (drive train) to replace the gasket and seal.

The oil pan gaskets are an aluminum frame with an embossed rubber seal Its a very robust and well sealing gasket and for the most part reuseable.

90% of the oil leaks are due to loose oil pan bolts. If you hava a 2000-2004 C5, you have a 2 piece oil pan. The upper pan bolts secure the secure the upper part of the oil pan to the engine block.

The lower pan has ery delicate fasteners and easily stri out. BE CAREFUL if you re-torque them. Use a TORQUE WRENCH set at the proper torque spec.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Tightening rear engine cover, and upper oil pan bolts?

Quick Reply: Tightening rear engine cover, and upper oil pan bolts?