C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very small coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 AM
89nascar
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default very small coolant leak

i have a very small coolant leak that looks like its from under the intake, any advice where to look ?
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Check the coolant hoses on the throttle body, one hose comes from the rad, the other hose comes from the heads steam tube. Use a flashlight and mirror to aid in the visual inspection.

Cheers,
Goose
The following users liked this post:
89nascar (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
Check the coolant hoses on the throttle body, one hose comes from the rad, the other hose comes from the heads steam tube. Use a flashlight and mirror to aid in the visual inspection.

Cheers,
Goose
A lot of people bypass those. As for any Hp gains it is questionable but does help in TB removal
89nascar (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
89nascar
Advanced

i checked the TB hoses with the air filter duct removed and both dry , looks be coming from under the intake and is wet at the front edge of the lifter valley cover , very slow leak no drips on the ground or at the rear but with leak parked or running

Originally Posted by 69

Cheers,
Goose

Last edited by 89nascar; 01-25-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:02 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Completely clean it until it is dry, then while you are under the hood have someone start the car and then keep your eyes on it, if nothing have them rev it a few times. The only place I can think of it is coming from is the head coolant pipe lines because I'm pretty sure the intake manifold has no coolant that runs through it. Take another picture but come out a little ways so it can be seen entirely in the area it is happening.

Last edited by midnight01; 01-25-2017 at 11:03 AM.
89nascar (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

OK, thanks for the update.
Coolant can be pooled on the valley cover or even soaked into the foam on the underside of the LS1 Intake.
There is no coolant running through the intake but there is a steam pipe running under the intake and on top of the valley cover, see pics below.
Recommended approach to verify where and what is leaking coolant.
With the engine off and cooled to ambient temp, pressurizes the coolant system with a coolant system pressure tester hand pump, (check your local auto parts stores as they rent this tool).
NOTE >DO NOT Exceed the pressure rating (PSI) as indicated on the cooling system cap when pressurizing with the hand pump as damage to the cooling system can occur, (I pressurize to between 5 to 8 PSI and I’ve been very successful locating leaks).
Connect the tool to the expansion tank, pressurize system and search the cooling system for obvious leaks and repair as necessary.
Post up what you find.
Cheers,
Goose
89nascar (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Put your fingers under the TB and you'll see if it's leaking. Mine was, and now I have the leak on the right side where the sensor is. Seems like a gaskets issue.
89nascar (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:01 AM
89nascar
Advanced

i have checked the steam pipe at the heads and no leaks , i think removing the intake then pressurizing the system to see all of the steam pipe might be the best way as there is a lot of grime on top of the valley cover , maybe a leak at the center of the steam pipe assembly ?

Originally Posted by 69
OK, thanks for the update.
Coolant can be pooled on the valley cover or even soaked into the foam on the underside of the LS1 Intake.
There is no coolant running through the intake but there is a steam pipe running under the intake and on top of the valley cover, see pics below.
Recommended approach to verify where and what is leaking coolant.
With the engine off and cooled to ambient temp, pressurizes the coolant system with a coolant system pressure tester hand pump, (check your local auto parts stores as they rent this tool).
NOTE >DO NOT Exceed the pressure rating (PSI) as indicated on the cooling system cap when pressurizing with the hand pump as damage to the cooling system can occur, (I pressurize to between 5 to 8 PSI and I’ve been very successful locating leaks).
Connect the tool to the expansion tank, pressurize system and search the cooling system for obvious leaks and repair as necessary.
Post up what you find.
Cheers,
Goose
Old 01-26-2017, 09:04 AM
89nascar
Advanced

i will check again but looks dry all around the TB

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
Put your fingers under the TB and you'll see if it's leaking. Mine was, and now I have the leak on the right side where the sensor is. Seems like a gaskets issue.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Hello, don't pull the intake just yet...Perform the coolant system pressure test first and locate the leak before you remove any items...
You maybe surprised where you find the leak...
Cheers,
Goose

Last edited by 69; 01-26-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add video
The following 2 users liked this post by 69:
89nascar (01-27-2017), El original (01-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To very small coolant leak

Quick Reply: very small coolant leak