C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Install on 2-Post Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Clutch Install on 2-Post Lift

I need to do the clutch on my car. It's currently on my dad's 2-post lift as I work on the engine. I'm starting to game plan how to accomplish the clutch while on the lift, but I'm having trouble.

Looks like I'll need 3 high lift trans jacks. I have one, and really don't want to buy 2 more because I'll never use them. BUT, I don't see any other way to support the engine, remove the rear subframe AND then the driveline without it. What am I missing? Anyone else do a clutch using a 2-post and have some suggestions?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, you don't have to have the lift all the way up to first, remove the rear suspension and transmission from the torque tube and then remove the torque tube up in the air followed by the bell housing.

The engine will not necessarily be supported by anything but the motor mounts. At least, mine has not been the two times I've done my clutch without a lift.

So, do the preliminary work loosening bolts up in the air, drop it down, support the rear with a jack, slide it to the rear, and lift the car. Now back in the air remove the torque tube and bell housing.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep in mind that after removing the torque tube and transaxle the car will be VERY nose heavy on the 2 post lift. I placed a jack under the front cross member to prevent the car from tilting forward.

Name:  stand-front.JPG
Views: 1627
Size:  276.1 KB

Do you have a engine hoist (cherry picker)? If so you can make a cradle that mounts on the lift to support the transaxle. That's how I did mine.

I made a setup that mounts on the engine hoist that attaches to the rear crossmember assy that allowed me to lower it by myself. I added a linkage that would keep the trans/torque tube level while it was lowered but it's not necessary if you have an extra set of hands to help line things up. I did this by myself so I added it. I used another stand to support the trans while I lowered the cradle.

Name:  clutch20.JPG
Views: 1152
Size:  278.2 KB

Name:  clutch21.JPG
Views: 1174
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  clutch25.JPG
Views: 1350
Size:  267.5 KB

I borrowed an attachment a friend had made the I used to remove the trans/torque tube assy. Since I was working alone I added a front support using a roller cart.

Name:  IMG_1158.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  170.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1159.JPG
Views: 1436
Size:  195.3 KB

These 2 tools allowed me to do the clutch job solo and still be safe. Once I started removing major chunks the car was supported by stands and did not move until the big pieces were re-installed so the weight stayed balanced on the lift.

Last edited by danh52; 01-27-2017 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WildRide357 (02-03-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 03:00 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kp1
Well, you don't have to have the lift all the way up to first, remove the rear suspension and transmission from the torque tube and then remove the torque tube up in the air followed by the bell housing.

The engine will not necessarily be supported by anything but the motor mounts. At least, mine has not been the two times I've done my clutch without a lift.

So, do the preliminary work loosening bolts up in the air, drop it down, support the rear with a jack, slide it to the rear, and lift the car. Now back in the air remove the torque tube and bell housing.
Oh, this sounds quite reasonable. I was assuming I'd be removing the torque tube with the rest of the driveline, but this seems far more doable. Is there any concern with the torque tube hanging off the end of the bellhousing after I pull the rear?
Old 01-27-2017, 03:02 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danh52
Keep in mind that after removing the torque tube and transaxle the car will be VERY nose heavy on the 2 post lift. I placed a jack under the front cross member to prevent the car from tilting forward.

Attachment 48057833

Do you have a engine hoist (cherry picker)? If so you can make a cradle that mounts on the lift to support the transaxle. That's how I did mine.

I made a setup that mounts on the engine hoist that attaches to the rear crossmember assy that allowed me to lower it by myself. I added a linkage that would keep the trans/torque tube level while it was lowered but it's not necessary if you have an extra set of hands to help line things up. I did this by myself so I added it. I used another stand to support the trans while I lowered the cradle.

Attachment 48057834

Attachment 48057835

Attachment 48057839

I borrowed an attachment a friend had made the I used to remove the trans/torque tube assy. Since I was working alone I added a front support using a roller cart.

Attachment 48057836

Attachment 48057837

These 2 tools allowed me to do the clutch job solo and still be safe. Once I started removing major chunks the car was supported by stands and did not move until the big pieces were re-installed so the weight stayed balanced on the lift.
Yea, I wish I could weld, this looks downright surgical! But, I honestly hope to only do this job once...so to have special brackets and whatnot made isn't too appealing to me.

Still, this is impressive. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by DetroitPlac; 01-27-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:06 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Attachment 48057833

Attachment 48057834

Attachment 48057835

Attachment 48057839

Attachment 48057836

Attachment 48057837

BTW, what lift pads are those? My dad has the same exact lift, but the pads don't work right on my car.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:18 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I got the low profile option for the pads. They have a 2 stage screw for height adjustment and when at the lowest position are the lowest on the market. When I got the lift I had a 2013 Camaro that was lowered so low profile pads were important.

I have a fully equipped shop so knocking out the fixtures was an afternoon job. I'm 64 and I work alone so sometimes I have to get creative to get the job done. I also hope to only do it once but **** happens sometime so I'm keeping them as long as I have the Vette.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

I got the low profile option for the pads. They have a 2 stage screw for height adjustment and when at the lowest position are the lowest on the market. When I got the lift I had a 2013 Camaro that was lowered so low profile pads were important.

I have a fully equipped shop so knocking out the fixtures was an afternoon job. I'm 64 and I work alone so sometimes I have to get creative to get the job done. I also hope to only do it once but **** happens sometime so I'm keeping them as long as I have the Vette.
Thanks! I love the shop! My dad's 64 and built his "dream garage" I'm sure he'll reach the full shop eventually, but for now the two of us work together on most projects.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

you only need the one tranny jack and a tall screw jack to support the drivetrain while you remove the rear cradle, then move it to the front to support the engine when you pull the tranny and torque tube
Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Once the torque tube is off the engine you can lift the back of the engine up with couple of fingers. So, it won't hurt anything tilted back and touching the firewall.

If you want to remove the transmission but leave the torque tube you can always rig up a strap under the car under the torque tube. Use something like All-Round between 2 of the tunnel plate bolts under it to hold it up. It doesn't take much at all to hold it up either.

The worry about damaging the firewall with the engine is only when you drop the back of the drive train because with the weight of the transmission and differential still on the torque tube can put enough force against the firewall to break through.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:51 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by feeder82
you only need the one tranny jack and a tall screw jack to support the drivetrain while you remove the rear cradle, then move it to the front to support the engine when you pull the tranny and torque tube
Oh, I see that now. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:40 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I used a transmission jack to let the rear cradle down and back enough to replace the clutch. I didn't support the front....it was fine.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-29-2017 at 07:41 PM.
WildRide357 (02-03-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 PM
vipmiller803
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider dropping the whole drive line, especially if you already have engine work to do (which it sounds like you do?). I know, dropping the engine/front cradle also is a good bit more work, but that is ultimately how the car was put together. It would also eliminate your need for any high lift jacks at all, making lining up the driveline a breeze, and give you a chance to get a good look at all the engine surroundings. Obviously, this is not what I would recommend for every clutch job, but with a lift already available and engine work needed, definitely the way to go.

Last edited by vipmiller803; 01-31-2017 at 04:23 PM.
WildRide357 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:49 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vipmiller803
Consider dropping the whole drive line, especially if you already have engine work to do (which it sounds like you do?). I know, dropping the engine/front cradle also is a good bit more work, but that is ultimately how the car was put together. It would also eliminate your need for any high lift jacks at all, making lining up the driveline a breeze, and give you a chance to get a good look at all the engine surroundings. Obviously, this is not what I would recommend for every clutch job, but with a lift already available and engine work needed, definitely the way to go.
I'm almost done with the engine...heads/cam. In hindsight, this probably would have been the right move. But at this point it's probably more work than it's worth since it's just the clutch.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Well, after much contemplation, I halted work on the engine and dropped the entire drive line. I wish I had done this sooner. Would have made a lot of my prior work easier. Oh well.

Not really sure what's leaking on the top of the trans, but it's made quite a mess...

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Install on 2-Post Lift

Quick Reply: Clutch Install on 2-Post Lift