C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Interior Sound Desdening

Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Good to know. I will take a bit of the material and experiment with it for the remainder of the winter to see how much water it dents to absorb.
My plan is to cover the entire rear deck and wheel wells with the material. This is not intended as a perfect solution. This is for me, a budget solution to an otherwise expensive upgrade.
Currently, with no deadening what so ever, it is a horrible music listening space. Yeah, I know, it's a car. Not only that, it's a sport car.
JMO
I did the entire interior of my previous C5 using the same Frost King. Pulled out all the interior and covered every panel with FK and double on the tunnel........but I have to say I was disappointed in the results. It reduced interior noise and heat a bit, but not nearly as much as I had hoped for. When I bought my current 03 I thought about doing it again......but I really don't think the results warranted the cost and labor.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 AM
TSquare2112
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my first Vette yesterday, a 2000 model. I can't believe the road noise. It has BB PRT exhaust, but most of the noise is road noise. I read all through this post, and a similar one on another forum, both talking about the Frost King. I then found pre-cut insulation panels at exoticvette.com. Comes with full instructions of disassembly and installation. $215 plus $30 shipping. I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering it. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:10 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I just became aware of Frost King Duct insulation. From what I can see, it is a better solution than that tar-based peel and seal. Frost King Duct insulation seems to be based on a butyl rubber 1/8 inch pad with a foil backing, so no tar melting during the hot summer months. I plan to use the Frost King Duct insulation product.

Generally, I will be placing the duct insulation under the carpets covering the trunk floor and rear wheel wells. Is that correct? From one of the photos It looks like you are using the duct insulation on the outside of the wheel well. How will that hold up against the weather and the elements?
i did the frost king to my car. noise went down a little. heat went down a fair amount.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:18 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TSquare2112
I just got my first Vette yesterday, a 2000 model. I can't believe the road noise. It has BB PRT exhaust, but most of the noise is road noise. I read all through this post, and a similar one on another forum, both talking about the Frost King. I then found pre-cut insulation panels at exoticvette.com. Comes with full instructions of disassembly and installation. $215 plus $30 shipping. I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering it. Anyone have any experience with this?
Congratulations on your first Vette. I bought my first last year. It's a 1999 in amazing condition. I have never had as much fun my Vette since my very first car many years ago.

You are in a very special club now, that of Corvette owners. I suppose you know that Vette owners greet one another on the streets. Enjoy your Vette. Post some photos of your new toy.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd do the back wheelwells first since you don't have to take
the interior out.
Then you can evaluate if you want to do the interior.
Back wheelwells was enough for my vert.

This is not my car but I also have a partition in the trunk like this one

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-29-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:58 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Well,

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
I don't agree.
It's stuffed in pretty good and dense and worked great for me.
The Frost King duct insulation is the primary sound deadener.
The batts I had sitting around and it is fine for how much
and where I used it.
The OP wanted budget options.
to each his own....opinion that is. I think I will save my ABC gum warm it up and apply it liberally. Now that would be a wise dual use of resources. It is my opinion that it would also stiffen body components.

Ok, nuff nonsense for this AM. Have a wonderful morning in church and a super day.
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 01-29-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:04 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Road Noise?

Depending on what tires you are running road noise can be 4x what a quiet set will provide. Many of us have killed off a lot of road noise by putting on tires know to be quiet. The worst ones I have had are Goodyear EMTs. Got them off before 1000K.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I am with you on this. I have an '02 Z06 and it was noisy as hell. I could not carry on a cell phone conversation at highway speeds. First step, I put in a partition to get me by and I bet it dropped noise by 25% right off the bat. huge improvement. Right now, it's in the shop getting a complete Soundskinz treatment. My installer said he has used 7 rolls so far and still isn't done! I can't wait to get it back next week and I will report on the results with pics.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Fiberglass insulation with backing? NO, NO, NO!

Home insulation in the wheel wells

1 layer only of the duct insulation or wheelwell won't fit
back in

I am certainly not the "last word" on sound deadening and insulation of Corvettes, but I have done a bit of work on mine. Anyone who does the wheel wells with this is in for trouble (IMO). Moisture will get in there and be a habitat for bacteria, spores, fungus, etc.

Why is there always time to do a job over, but never enough time to do it right the first time?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

FatMat??? Is that a Dynamat auto specific sound deadening product?
I have used the peel-and-seal product by Co-Fair. It is used for weather-sealing around homes at the door and window frames before trim is installed. I can't tell any difference between it and FatMatt. Well, except for the price and the branding.

We had some of the Co-Fair product left over from some work on the house and I used it inside one door of my 'vert. No stink. Sticks like a leech. Gives the door a more solid feel and sound - a satisfying thunk - on closing.
Unless you enjoy paying the Vette Tax you should consider this alternative.
The following users liked this post:
gpruitt54 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
I am certainly not the "last word" on sound deadening and insulation of Corvettes, but I have done a bit of work on mine. Anyone who does the wheel wells with this is in for trouble (IMO). Moisture will get in there and be a habitat for bacteria, spores, fungus, etc.

Why is there always time to do a job over, but never enough time to do it right the first time?
The Frost King acts like a gasket.
The wheelwell fits tight.
I ran some silicone over the seams with my fingers.

You could also stuff it with plastic grocery bags.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-29-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Default Additional steps

The Frost King acts like a gasket.
The wheelwell fits tight.
I ran some silicone over the seams with my fingers....
That is some useful extra information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

You could also stuff it with plastic grocery bags.
LMAO!
The following users liked this post:
David Shiel (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

LMAO!
I think that was for the "low budget" version ........ yeah?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Got say

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich

100%.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default It would be best if they were

LMAO!
Walmart plastic bags! That would likely add more Chinese content to our C5s.

Last edited by David Shiel; 01-29-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:27 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Good for a laugh

but if you don't want to use fiberglass which is waterproof then crumpled plastic bags are an alternative.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Budget Interior Sound Desdening

Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Why again, is the guy using interior fiberglass insulation inside of the wheel well? I take it that this is completely ineffective, a generally bad idea?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Why again, is the guy using interior fiberglass insulation inside of the wheel well? I take it that this is completely ineffective, a generally bad idea?
No it is not completely ineffective.
It is sound deadening for a hollow area.
It was just extra stuff.
If you don't like it don't use it.
The Frost King is the main sound deadener
along with the partition.
You guys seem hung up on this.
I don't care if you think it's a bad idea.
I'm happy with how quiet my vert is.
What ideas are you offering up?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

No it is not completely ineffective.
It is sound deadening for a hollow area.
It was just extra stuff.
If you don't like it don't use it.
The Frost King is the main sound deadener
along with the partition.
You guys seem hung up on this.
I don't care if you think it's a bad idea.
I'm happy with how quiet my vert is.
What ideas are you offering up?
I am looking for answers and ideas. I started this thread because I am upgrading my head unit and wanted to see budget minded sound deadening ideas for the C5/C6 Vette. So, don't take me for a critic.

I would like to understand more about the Frost King material inside of the wheel well. The material is exposed to the elements and weather. Why used the material in that location? In this same area, I could see some of the fiberglass insulation sticking out, also exposed to weather and the elements. Are you concerned about the materials getting wet and dirt exposed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget Interior Sound Desdening