C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Interior Sound Desdening

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:59 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I am looking for answers and ideas. I started this thread because I am upgrading my head unit and wanted to see budget minded sound deadening ideas for the C5/C6 Vette. So, don't take me for a critic.

I would like to understand more about the Frost King material inside of the wheel well. The material is exposed to the elements and weather. Why used the material in that location? In this same area, I could see some of the fiberglass insulation sticking out, also exposed to weather and the elements. Are you concerned about the materials getting wet and dirt exposed.
I think you are unclear as to the side of the wheelwells the Frost King is on.

When the wheelwell is put back in the Frost King is not exposed, it is hidden on the inside between the car and the wheelwell and is not exposed to the elements.
The tire side of the wheelwell is not where the Frost King goes.
The Frost King stuck to the floor is exposed to the elements but Frost King is waterproof and the foil side is on the outside.
The wheelwell blocks the elements from hitting the Frost King on the outside of the trunk floor.
The fiberglass sticking out is covered by the wheelwells and butts up against the Frost King.
I'll put Felicia back on the lift later today and take some pictures.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Another great use for the Frost King is to line your sub box like this one in my 2014 Corvette SUV a 475 hp HEMI Cherokee SRT

Made a big difference in punch and crispness

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
I think you are unclear as to the side of the wheelwells the Frost King is on.

When the wheelwell is put back in the Frost King is not exposed, it is hidden on the inside between the car and the wheelwell and is not exposed to the elements.
The tire side of the wheelwell is not where the Frost King goes.
The Frost King stuck to the floor is exposed to the elements but Frost King is waterproof and the foil side is on the outside.
The wheelwell blocks the elements from hitting the Frost King on the outside of the trunk floor.
The fiberglass sticking out is covered by the wheelwells and butts up against the Frost King.
I'll put Felicia back on the lift later today and take some pictures.
Right !!

Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

It can be done either way.

Mine has it on the wheelwell.
The above has the foil on the car and the foam on the wheelwell.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:06 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Use Frost King Duct insulation available at Home Depot

Used the same on my 04. Not only did it quiet the interior but reduced the heat as well
Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Not knocking your choices, just pointing out issues that others may want to know before they use fiberglass or Frost King. Both products were designed for interior use only.

but if you don't want to use fiberglass which is waterproof.
While a single fiberglass strand is waterproof when it is woven into a batt with air spaces between the fibers it can hold water in those air spaces. This often results in mold growth.

Frost King is waterproof and the foil side is on the outside.
The foam used in Frost King is NOT waterproof. It is open cell foam and will absorb and hold moisture.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Not knocking your choices, just pointing out issues that others may want to know before they use fiberglass or Frost King. Both products were designed for interior use only.

While a single fiberglass strand is waterproof when it is woven into a batt with air spaces between the fibers it can hold water in those air spaces. This often results in mold growth.

The foam used in Frost King is NOT waterproof. It is open cell foam and will absorb and hold moisture.
These are excellent observations, and I repeat my self "Why is there always time to do it over, but never time to do it right on the first go-round?
If you cheap-out you are just creating a problem and more work for someone (maybe even yourself!) down the road. But it is your car, your time, your money, etc.
You can learn "tuition-free" from those who have gotten schooled on this stuff. Or you can start at the beginning and make your own mistakes.
Good luck with your 'Vette projects
Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrprich

I just pulled back a cover and checked my tar paper backed fiberglass behind the wheelwell
that's stuffed in there tight and it's clean and dry after 2 years as is the Frost King.
This includes driving in the rain numerous times.
So in my experience holding moisture is not an issue.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:03 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
These are excellent observations, and I repeat my self "Why is there always time to do it over, but never time to do it right on the first go-round?
If you cheap-out you are just creating a problem and more work for someone (maybe even yourself!) down the road. But it is your car, your time, your money, etc.
You can learn "tuition-free" from those who have gotten schooled on this stuff. Or you can start at the beginning and make your own mistakes.
Good luck with your 'Vette projects
I'm not cheaping out or doing it wrong and having to do it over.
I speak from experience while you are merely speculating and giving me the always time to do it over cliche.

I make up my own rules.
If you don't want to use this stuff because of what you think you know or what directions tell you
then find something else to use.
I'm getting tired of arguing about this so have a nice day.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

I'm not cheaping out or doing it wrong and having to do it over.
I speak from experience while you are merely speculating and giving me the always time to do it over cliche.

I make up my own rules.

I'm getting tired of arguing about this so good day.
never meant to insult you. Sorry you have taken offense,
Good day to you as well
Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

never meant to insult you. Sorry you have taken offense,
Good day to you as well
Well you're telling me I'm wrong and I should do it over based on stuff you have read.
You keep bringing up points you read about that I have dismissed based on my experience.
The moisture "issue" is a red herring

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

You keep bringing up points you read about that I have dismissed based on my experience.
The moisture "issue" is a red herring
"I make up my own rules.
I'm getting tired of arguing about this so good day."

are we done?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

"I make up my own rules.
I'm getting tired of arguing about this so good day."

are we done?
Yes there is nothing more to say.

I have already addressed the alleged moisture "issue" twice in this thread

and posted pictures supporting my opinion and experience as proof.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-30-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:15 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I have 2 questions.
How/where do you start to remove the interior rug in the coupe to lay down the insulation material, whatever you use?
And if you cover the entire rear compartment, including over the wheels, do you still have to do inside the fender wells, underneath? The insulation inside is not enough?

Last edited by mrlmd; 01-31-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:23 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrlmd
I have 2 questions.
How/where do you start to remove the interior rug in the coupe to lay down the insulation material, whatever you use?
And if you cover the entire rear compartment, including over the wheels, do you still have to do inside the fender wells, underneath? The insulation inside is not enough?
You have to take out the seats, waterfall, console bezel and the inside rocker interior trim.
It's easier to put a piece of Frost King on the wheelwell than cut pieces to fit it from the top side inside the car.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM
zone-7
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

I have 2 questions.
The audio section of this forum is a good place to start. I studied threads related to C5 interior disassembly prior to starting my project. I also was upgrading the sound system as well.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I have 2 questions.
I did the car body not the wells per my pic's, I had also done the complete interior very quiet !!

Get notified of new replies

To Budget Interior Sound Desdening

Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

For me, spending $200.00 for sound deadening in a car, on top of the cost for the head unit and other sundry items is simply not an option, no matter how great the marketed sound deadening material may be. I must to look for alternatives where they present themselves. If the alternatives provide acceptable results; then, acceptable is good enough. I and most, others have more pressing obligations (home, family, business, parent care, etc).

Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do, and be OK with it.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

I have 2 questions.
If you like to see something done, here is a YouTube video where the guy recorded the process of getting the rear carpet out of a C5

The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 06:04 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

It can be done either way.

Mine has it on the wheelwell.
The above has the foil on the car and the foam on the wheelwell.

If you have direct experience with this material with no issues, then that is proof enough for me. I am starting with the rear deck and wheel wells of my C5. I bought a couple of rolls of Frost King, just waiting the mid-west weather to get a bit cooler.

I am new to Corvettes. I've had mine less than a year. It looks like there is an inner and outer rear wheel well. From what I can see in the photos, you lined the outer wheel well so the sound deadening material is not visible under the carpets. Is that right? I really doesn't matter, I will be placing the sound deadening under the carpet of the deck, wheel wells, and rear deck firewall.

Quick Reply: Budget Interior Sound Desdening