C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:41 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Clutch fluid change

I guess my next thing will be changing the clutch fluid after hearing all the recomendations about this. I looked at the videos and it looks pretty simple just using a syphon of some type and circulating it and draining a few times. I guess Autozone's Dot 4 is as good as anything for normal driving isn't it.
I've just never heard of the need to do this before on other vehicles but after seeing the videos and other writeups on the Web I can see our cars need it often.
When was the first hydraulic clutch used on a Corvette anyway?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your clutch hydraulic system is a closed system. That being said, If you suck out the reservoir, you are NOT doing anything to the fluid that is way down inside the slave cylinder. Sure, there is some fluid exchange between the clean and the dirty stuff. That's why it gets nasty in the first place but, you will NEVER fully exchange all the dirty fluid for clean stuff.

SO, "WHY" does the fluid get BLACK and NASTY????

When the slave cylinder extends and retracts, it does so over a large spindle. The seal that rides over that spindle keeps the fluid inside the slave cyl. However,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It does a poor job of keeping the clutch dust from entering the slave cylinder.

YES, clutch dust migrates into the slave AND the master cylinder and gums up the entire system. Unless you use the bleed **** on the slave to bleed the system, you will not get all the nasty fluid and sludge out of the system.

Bleeding the system at the slave is your best chance of getting the best performance out of what the hydraulic system has left to offer.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
블랙콜벳 (01-19-2024)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:02 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

The clutch dust is lighter than the fluid so given enough time you could get most of the crap out by drain and fill on the resi but if you want it done right bleed it at the slave like you would bleed brakes.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When I replaced my clutch, I went with a TICK master cyl. SO,,,,,,, I took the old GM OEM master apart to see how it was constructed.

HOLY CRAP! I could not believe how much CRUD was built up inside the master cyl and around the little seals.

It was UGLY!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.
momo20 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:57 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

after you put new fluid in, pump the pedal 50+ times. It will help to circulate the fluid some. The siphon and refill again. Keep repeating until you don't have black nasty fluid after you finish pumping the pedal. The first time I changed mine I had to do it 6-7 times to get clear fluid. I now do it before every track event so it only takes 1-2 times.

If you ever do a new clutch, install a speed bleeder from Tick, it will make this much easier.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:19 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

having done the "ranger" method on my car when it was stock and then using the remote bleed system from tick , the "ranger" method while it does work take's a great deal of time to do so and imo is not very efficient at cycling the fluid. the remote bleed system does this very well and any gm with a six speed should have this..now that i have installed the tick master that is adjustable what a difference in how the car shifts..night and day difference
SpeedRacerMach (01-26-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch fluid change

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid change