C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Good Cam kit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:48 PM
LS1Lover
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a Good Cam kit...

I am looking for a moderate cam for my C5, I want a modest lope due to strict VA street laws. Power I'm not going for really because its already had suspension work so it hooks really well, and in my current street scene I'm one of the fastest. (yea not saying much there) Later on I plan to do some more for power but right now I just really love the way a cam sounds so I want just that. It already has open straight exhaust and sounds good but I want the lope.
What is a good kit to get....and does anyone recommend a shop near Roanoke VA for install. I tried Tick performance but they are booked until next year!

I might try installing myself with help from a friend. I watched the process but again, I'd rather have someone that has done it before do it.

So any recommendations on a good mild cam kit?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Crashz06
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as parts you cant go wrong with Tick, Brian Tooley, or Vengeance. Just give them a call, tell them what you are wanting to do, and they will get you what you are looking for. As far as install in your area I have no clue. Im in Texas.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 PM
xdmikey
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey CrashZ06,

Same question but I'm in Houston/Cypress.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm running a Brian Tooley cam, give them a call they sell good equipment.
You want to tell them stick or auto
Stock or updated heads
Gears, exhaust
and typical use for the car
To big of a cam and the car will be a dog but sound great at idle.
to small of a cam and your just spending money for little results.

A mild cam on 112 cl and a 800rpm idle would improve sound or a Comp Cam Thumper series cam.

by the way in about four years I will be making my home in Bedford.
And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 02-11-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Crashz06
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xdmikey
Hey CrashZ06,

Same question but I'm in Houston/Cypress.

Thanks
I would prob still buy a kit from one of the 3 I mentioned above. I'm going with Vengeance. As far as labor...I do my own. However some shops to consider would be England Green, LMR, and think MTI is still around. As long as they have a reputable tuner you cant go wrong. The labor is the easy part. Maybe one of them will chime in and hook you up.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I was also looking to do the same thing and found a shop close to me. Tick did a clutch replacement, bleeder and some suspension upgrades a few years ago but they moved farther away. check out my most for the details but might be too far for you (PCM of Mooresville NC - north of Charlotte).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ger-twice.html

Last edited by mikeam; 02-15-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I did my own cam install (3 times now) on jackstands. It's not EASY, but I loved it after the first time, as it became easier with practice. I'm not a mechanic, but you're going to need a tuner immediately after the install as it will change your fuel trims. Sometimes those well known shops have a complete cam install including tuning that's a nice package price.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Good Cam kit...

Quick Reply: Looking for a Good Cam kit...