C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic suspension "clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM
cbell3186
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Metallic suspension "clunk"

Hey guys,

I recently went through and replaced all my ball joints and put poly bushing in the whole car. I put the car down and went for a drive and have this new clunk. I torqued everything to spec and marked all the torqued bolts and rechecked them by another set of eyes. so I am absolutely sure everything is tight.

I did notice on the front lower control arm where the spring pad sits on the metal of the control arm that there is nothing there. Is there supposed to be a pad of some sort on either the control arm or spring bolt? Its just metal on metal and I feel like something is missing. I had this same noise last time I had the car up in the air but it settled its way out last time. I want to fix it, not just forget it.

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 PM
cbell3186
Instructor

Yeah I think mine was lowered when I first bought the car about 7 years ago. The "pad" that is at the end of the bolt had a bend it it from hitting the control arm, my assumption is that it is trying to re-seat a bit from being taken off.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 PM
cbell3186
Instructor

Found the issue. It was the front spring. I had to loosen the spring brackets on the cradle and scoot it forward about 3mm. Once tightened the spring bolts that rest on the control arm no longer hit the sides of the control arm.

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic suspension "clunk"

Quick Reply: Metallic suspension "clunk"