C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression check doesn't look good... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Engine let out a puff of white smoke at Sebring last weekend. I limped the car back to the pits sputtering and by the time I got the pits the car wouldn't stay started and sounded horrible.

Just got around to doing a quick compression check. There was no bad metal on metal sound so I know I didn't drop a valve or anything. No milky oil.

Here are the results:

Front
100______115
80_______110
80_______120
110______N/A

I couldn't free the rear right plug, and didn't want to risk breaking it. I will pull the heads anyways, cause of the 80's on the left side. While I am there I can check for ring problems.

What say you?
Sorry for your problems. Feel especially bad cause you "saw the light" and moved to the LS from Ford.

Another member saw your post and referred me. I'm looking for a trashed 243 head casting to flow test against a 317 casting to verify similarities/differences. I have the 317 - need the 243. When you get your ducks in a row let me know if you have a trashed 243 head as a result of this. Only need one intake and exhaust valve (actually don't have to have that) and at least one cylinder needs to be in condition to be flow tested. Again - sorry it happened. Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I think you can bore it .020" but a re-sleeve is not a simple task on these. I would be looking for another block if you cant over-boar it. My '02 LS1 block is the same as the LS6 so I'm assuming the '01-04 LS1 and 6 blocks are the same if that helps. Doing the LS3 update may be a good option.
It's actually only .010" that you can bore the LS6 out to.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:57 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

^I stand corrected. Only .010". Ouch!
It doesn't make much design since though. Here is an article on the topic.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/max-o...for-ls-blocks/

Quick Reply: Compression check doesn't look good... Thoughts?