C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on headers, X pipes, etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default School me on headers, X pipes, etc

OK, I've done some reading and can't figure out if the cost/benefit is there. I've recently installed a Vararam CAI and will be picking up a Corsa Xtreme axle back this weekend. At some point I'll also do a tune (a Chuck COW tune). My question is, are header (short or long) worth the cost, and/or an X pipe? I have zero other plans for mods. I won't be doing a cam or anything like that. I don't race, I don't track, just street driving.

I'm more of a fan of torque and low end, to deal with those pesky kids at red lights, and my nephew who seems to be slowly building up his BMW 3 series. I wouldn't think I'd have any need for more top end speed. Anyway, would the above serve my "wants" and needs or should I also consider headers and/or an x pipe? Is an additional $1200+ worth it or even needed?
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:55 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I don't think you really stated your wants or needs...
-The Vararam intake will give you a few HP (5-10?)
-The axle back will get you more noise, but no measurable power
-My first mod to V8 cars is always long tube headers, and have never regretted that decision, particularly in my Z. Better throttle response, more power across the range, nicer sound; all good.
-X pipe is also more about sound, and well worth it IMO. Got rid of the stock gurgle, motor boat sound.
-I went with Texas Speed long tubes, and a tune from the same. I don't personally feel the tune you mentioned is worth the money (you can get a dyno tune for about the same money).
-Re pesky kids at red lights... street racing is both illegal and pointless. There is always a faster car for starters, never mind car impounding, dangers in street racing... (excuse my daddy moment)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grantv
I don't think you really stated your wants or needs...
-The Vararam intake will give you a few HP (5-10?)
-The axle back will get you more noise, but no measurable power
-My first mod to V8 cars is always long tube headers, and have never regretted that decision, particularly in my Z. Better throttle response, more power across the range, nicer sound; all good.
-X pipe is also more about sound, and well worth it IMO. Got rid of the stock gurgle, motor boat sound.
-I went with Texas Speed long tubes, and a tune from the same. I don't personally feel the tune you mentioned is worth the money (you can get a dyno tune for about the same money).
-Re pesky kids at red lights... street racing is both illegal and pointless. There is always a faster car for starters, never mind car impounding, dangers in street racing... (excuse my daddy moment)

I guess I should have said my "needs" and "wants" are really just being street driven with the ability to have some extra power and torque when needed/wanted?

I agree with street racing, and certainly didn't want to make it seem like that's what I was doing. The red light thing is mostly just a quick launch at green, then quickly letting off (when it's 2 lanes).

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

You can get cheaper headers like the Hinson's or the XSPower. They cost about 750.00
I went with the Hinson set
Old 02-16-2017, 07:02 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just put on long tubes and I feel like I lost some low end torque. It may pull harder in the upper rpms but I won't know if it's faster until I drive it on track in a couple of weeks.
It sounds glorious w/ the x-pipe, and losing the factory pieces saves weight which should be good.
My spare LS1 is cammed, so eventually I will benefit from the headers. If I were you I would just enjoy the CAI and axle-back for awhile.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I just put on long tubes and I feel like I lost some low end torque. It may pull harder in the upper rpms but I won't know if it's faster until I drive it on track in a couple of weeks.
It sounds glorious w/ the x-pipe, and losing the factory pieces saves weight which should be good.
My spare LS1 is cammed, so eventually I will benefit from the headers. If I were you I would just enjoy the CAI and axle-back for awhile.
LS1 or LS6, stock, manual or auto, 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" tubes...? I sure did not feel a loss at any RPM in my Z.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you want to increase you low to mid range power, forget the LT and get a good scan/log tune with the TB delay adjusted. LT will help in the upper RPM range and HP but not down low.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

I used the less $$ setup...Hinsonmotorsport's 1/78 coated with Xpipe. Twin cone's air filter.
And then sent it (PCM) to Chuck Cow for a tune. No other up grades, but love the way it responds and sounds. PS: If your a veteran, chuck will work with you $$...

Chuck CoW (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Give me a call....

Originally Posted by BAT
OK, I've done some reading and can't figure out if the cost/benefit is there. I've recently installed a Vararam CAI and will be picking up a Corsa Xtreme axle back this weekend. At some point I'll also do a tune (a Chuck COW tune). My question is, are header (short or long) worth the cost, and/or an X pipe? I have zero other plans for mods. I won't be doing a cam or anything like that. I don't race, I don't track, just street driving.

I'm more of a fan of torque and low end, to deal with those pesky kids at red lights, and my nephew who seems to be slowly building up his BMW 3 series. I wouldn't think I'd have any need for more top end speed. Anyway, would the above serve my "wants" and needs or should I also consider headers and/or an x pipe? Is an additional $1200+ worth it or even needed?

Hey Boss.... Give me a ring at 914-332-0049.

I think I know what you want and I'll tell you that my advice will likely be different than most other vendors on here.....

After we talk, I think you'll agree..... I will make you a very happy guy.

Chuck CoW
Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey Boss.... Give me a ring at 914-332-0049.

I think I know what you want and I'll tell you that my advice will likely be different than most other vendors on here.....

After we talk, I think you'll agree..... I will make you a very happy guy.

Chuck CoW
You're next on my list once I get the extra cash. I pick up my exhaust tomorrow but won't be installing it until the spring. Once the snow melts and the road sand is picked up, I need to get it to my buddies shop to use his lift. The CAI is already in. Looking forward to talking to you in a few months.
Chuck CoW (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I'm ready!

Originally Posted by BAT
You're next on my list once I get the extra cash. I pick up my exhaust tomorrow but won't be installing it until the spring. Once the snow melts and the road sand is picked up, I need to get it to my buddies shop to use his lift. The CAI is already in. Looking forward to talking to you in a few months.

I'm ready when you are!!!!

Call any time!
Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To School me on headers, X pipes, etc

Quick Reply: School me on headers, X pipes, etc