C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joints.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:49 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ball joints.

My broken transmission removal is revealing my worn-out parts. I think I'm going to replace everything...with a new C7!!!! Hah! Anyways...

I need ball joints in the rear. What's the latest wisdom? I researched this, as I do everything, but there is some conflicting information. The biggest conflict being whether the uppers should be replaced as a unit with the A-arm, or just replace the joint itself. I'm leaning towards replacing just the joint.

Hearsay aside, does anybody actually have personal experience with a problem related to replacing the upper ball joint? I understand why Chevy wants people to replace the entire unit, but there seems to be a lot of people who have done it without a problem.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:35 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I pressed in all new Moog uppers and lowers on mine 2 years ago, everything's smooth and tight today. No problems. Easy job with a big c-clamp style ball joint tool and an impact wrench.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I had trouble getting some aftermarket ones in. Then I measured them and they were a few thousandths over sized. The Moog and AC Delco fit fine. If you cant find rear ball joints at your retailer then use front ones (The rear uses the same ball joints).

You might not be able to install the bottom ones if the car is on jack stands with the lower control arms installed due to ground clearance.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:39 AM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I had trouble getting some aftermarket ones in. Then I measured them and they were a few thousandths over sized. The Moog and AC Delco fit fine. If you cant find rear ball joints at your retailer then use front ones (The rear uses the same ball joints).

You might not be able to install the bottom ones if the car is on jack stands with the lower control arms installed due to ground clearance.
Apparently the fronts and rears are the same. I was planning on getting the Moog ball joints because they are greasable. I have the car up in the air to remove the transmission, so no problem there.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to go ahead and replace just the joints and probably the control arm bushings as well.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The OEM rubber bushings are not sold separately. They are cast into the control arms.
AFAIK your only option is polyurethane without replacing the control arms.

Last edited by Rob 02; 02-18-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 AM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob 02
The OEM rubber bushings are not sold separately. They are cast into the control arms.
AFAIK your only option is polyurethane without replacing the control arms.
Thanks. I think I'm going to do something like this (scroll down to the pictures):
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oint-part.html

Last edited by TorqueWinsRaces; 02-19-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have some poly bushings I have been meaning to install as soon as I can get the down time. My old bushings have gotten soft. Now after an alignment, I am out of caster and camber adjustment and the car doesn't feel well planted. It bump steers from the front and rear.

New control arms cost a small fortune for all 8 and would only last as long as these have.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:22 AM
t56mike
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I have everything on hand. Including Viking coilovers. I don't rear tie rods and mine seem sloppy. I guess I'll just break down and get them from Amazon.
I even ordered the ball joint tools to do the job.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:01 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Originally Posted by t56mike
I'm in the same boat. I have everything on hand. Including Viking coilovers. I don't rear tie rods and mine seem sloppy. I guess I'll just break down and get them from Amazon.
I even ordered the ball joint tools to do the job.
I just ordered tie rod ends for the rear, upper and lower ball joints all the way around and new sway bar end links. I saved $100 using RockAuto over Amazon. Everything I ordered was Moog. Blew my mind. I've been using RockAuto quite a bit, they have some really competitive pricing.

Last edited by TorqueWinsRaces; 02-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob 02 (02-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ball joints.

Quick Reply: Ball joints.