C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C5 Electrical Diag

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
DRKKNGT
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette C5 Electrical Diag

Good evening everyone,

I'm at my wits end and am finally reaching out for help. I have a 1999 C5 with an electrical issue and I'm in need of a technician near Detroit, MI to work through some diag. It's been in a shop for 4 months now with very little information coming back out to me. The issue is a starting/power issue that I thought was either an alternator or a bad body ground but looks like it may be deeper than that. Any help someone could give me would be amazingly helpful. I've read the forum and I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed what I'm asking for. I'm desperate and could use your help.

Thank you,

DRKKNGT
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Vulcan73
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you be more specific as to what is "starting/power issue"???
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM
DRKKNGT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Vulcan73
Can you be more specific as to what is "starting/power issue"???
The vehicle stalled on me when driving home one night. Since then the vehicle has had issues starting. I'll turn the key and all the gauges go crazy, flickering, the display goes in and out, and just general lower power indications. Then, I'll let it sit for a minute or 2, turn the key on and off a bunch of times and it will fire right up. Once running it will display a "reduced power" message. The shop that it's currently at has "supposedly" checked all body grounds and determined that they are fine and is pointing at a faulty ebcm as the most possible issue.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Vulcan73
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

An expert may drop by and give you guidance.

It might be intermittent contacts on one of the many relays that are situated in the engine and interior fuse/relay panels. I recently had sticky contacts on the TDR (Theft Deterrent Relay) which kept the starter solenoid engaged with the ignition key out causing the starter to run continuously. I have since acquired a complete set of spare relays and have them in my car tool bag.
The following users liked this post:
DRKKNGT (03-24-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Weird EBCM failure mode if It is causing a no start situation. The easy way to eliminate the EBCM from the problem is to pull all the fuses to the EBCM. The car is perfectly capable of being driven without an EBCM.

Bill
DRKKNGT (03-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 AM
mikefut01
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRKKNGT
Good evening everyone,

I'm at my wits end and am finally reaching out for help. I have a 1999 C5 with an electrical issue and I'm in need of a technician near Detroit, MI to work through some diag. It's been in a shop for 4 months now with very little information coming back out to me. The issue is a starting/power issue that I thought was either an alternator or a bad body ground but looks like it may be deeper than that. Any help someone could give me would be amazingly helpful. I've read the forum and I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed what I'm asking for. I'm desperate and could use your help.

Thank you,

DRKKNGT
did you find the problem? i started to have the same issue today i turn the key once and i looks like the battery is dying i get the flickering too but wont start the first time the mayority of the time i do it a second time and all the lights come on normally on my cluster and turns on right away, and my car has even stalled when driving if you find the problem please let me know
Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Ignition switches have some history of issues on the C5.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-repair.html
DRKKNGT (03-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Ignition switches have some history of issues on the C5.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-repair.html
This right here. As soon as I read this post I was thinking ignition switch. Had a problem with my ignition switch where the gauges would go nuts, and when I shut it off, I didn't know if it would start again. Didn't have to replace the ignition switch, just needed to take it apart and clean the contacts on it. Had black pitted contacts over every spot on it. Since then, no issues. My first inclination I had a problem was my speedometer jumping all over the place while driving.
DRKKNGT (03-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I wouldn't trust any shop on the ground issue 90% of the problems on these cars are fixed by cleaning up the grounds and a fresh battery. Take a dremal to the contacts on the frame and the frame itseltf. Then coat them with dieelectric grease.
DRKKNGT (03-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:45 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Sounds like an ignition switch issue.
DRKKNGT (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM
DRKKNGT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mikefut01
did you find the problem? i started to have the same issue today i turn the key once and i looks like the battery is dying i get the flickering too but wont start the first time the mayority of the time i do it a second time and all the lights come on normally on my cluster and turns on right away, and my car has even stalled when driving if you find the problem please let me know
- it's being explained to me as a combination of issues. First and foremost a ground wire needs cleaning/repair. Then the ignition switch is acting up and needs to be replaced. I should have the car back in a few days and I'll let ya know if it's working as designed after repairs.
David Shiel (03-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C5 Electrical Diag

Quick Reply: Corvette C5 Electrical Diag