C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the differential today. Need advice! Pictures!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:09 PM
mctwist77
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pulled the differential today. Need advice! Pictures!

Pulled the diff because I found a piece of metal inside of it. I haven't opened it yet but it looks like the case around the viewing hole is chipped. Also there is marring on the surface behind the ring gear, and there is marring on the inside of the diff. This is what I found through the viewing whole. Whats the best course of action? Is it rebuildable or should I just get a stage 2 from RPM and be done with it?

Also, I had trouble with clearance removing the diff. It was hitting the lower part of the tub. I had the TT as low as I think it could go, stuff was getting tight against the firewall. I had to lower the diff on the input shaft then kinda wiggle and twist it off to the side. Is this the correct way or should I pull the transmission when I go to reinstall?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:44 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 521 Likes on 334 Posts

You do not have to pull the transmission unless some modification has been done which would reduce the clearance between the back of the heads and the firewall.

I had my final drive replaced last year without removing the A4 transmission.

If you order a final drive from anybody, make sure you inspect it for shipping damage UPON ARRIVAL. Mine was a Stage 4 from RPM with a Wavetrac that arrived with a bent stud because it shifted in the box. Damage was not obvious until the unit was removed from the box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulled the differential today. Need advice! Pictures!