C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsible Spare Tire For C5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:06 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Collapsible Spare Tire For C5 ?

I've got 2 C5's.
A convertible for the street and a Z06 for the track. I sold my trailer a few years ago and now drive my Z06 to the track. I'm always concerned I'll get a flat that can't be repaired with a plug or Fix-A-Flat and a compressor. A few years ago I filled all my cars tires(all 11) with a sealant similar to Slime. The plan was to use as a flat preventative. In the past few years I've gotten no flats except for tears in the sidewalls caused by gigundous pot holes on our wonderful NJ highways. Each time in the rain and at night. Lots of fun changing those in the rain at night.

I have 3 200 hundred mile tows on my AAA and have up to $300 reimbursement for towing through my insurance. These are all good and well. But, I'd rather have a spare I can pop on in a few minutes and be on my way.

I've searched all over the net and this forum for a C5 spare. It looks like the last model GTO has a spare that would work with some modification to the center hole. I've seen them used on Ebay for around $120. Kinda steep for a used spare but if it works I guess it's worth it.

But, I thought I saw somewhere that Mercedes has a collapsible space saver spare that is compatible with the C5. But now I can't find where I saw it. If this thing exists I think I would lean towards this option purely for the lack of space it would take up in the rear of the Z06 along with all my track stuff. Maybe it would even fit in the compartment below the rear deck.

Has anyone come across a collapsible spare.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The biggest issue I see with carrying a spare tire is how you would secure it in the trunk area. Unless it's securely tied down, it could become a missile if something happened like an accident or an emergency maneuver.

You would also have to carry a jack and lug wrench. A scissors style of jack like the C4 used could work but it would still have to fit between the car and the ground. Try completely deflating a rear tire and measure that gap. Subtract the height of a hockey puck for a jacking point and it could be very difficult to simply get the wheel off the ground.

Then you have to deal with the wheel and tire you are removing. Try a test fit to see if a rear tire will even fit in the trunk area.

You didn't mention what type of track you go to, but if the tech/safety inspection says anything that is loose in the car has to be removed, then it could become a security issue; you certainly don't want anything "walking away"...
Old 02-20-2017, 05:06 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

[QUOTE=c4cruiser;1594136740]The biggest issue I see with carrying a spare tire is how you would secure it in the trunk area. Unless it's securely tied down, it could become a missile if something happened like an accident or an emergency maneuver.[/B]

In response to securing a tire. My car is partially caged, securing it would not be a problem. Although there's very little room or chance anything like a tire would be able to fly through the cage from the rear into the passenger compartment.

You would also have to carry a jack and lug wrench. A scissors style of jack like the C4 used could work but it would still have to fit between the car and the ground. Try completely deflating a rear tire and measure that gap. Subtract the height of a hockey puck for a jacking point and it could be very difficult to simply get the wheel off the ground.

I used to carry a 2 ton compact low rise racing floor jack and breaker bar and a 2" x 6" x 1.5' piece of wood to drive up on to get the jack & puck under the car. They'll be going back into the car. Or if they don't fit I've got a scissors jack I'd use.

Then you have to deal with the wheel and tire you are removing. Try a test fit to see if a rear tire will even fit in the trunk area.

I'm still trying to get dimensions of the GTO tire, and there are none available in my area to test. But, as I'm typing this I just remembered I've got 3 cars with donut spares. One of them must be close enough in size to the 17" GTO spare to give me an idea of the fit. Thanks for that idea.

You didn't mention what type of track you go to, but if the tech/safety inspection says anything that is loose in the car has to be removed, then it could become a security issue; you certainly don't want anything "walking away"..

Regarding the tracks. I'm into road racing. Tracks I frequent are Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Pocono, NJMP, VIR, Summit Point. At the track everything is emptied out of your car including the mats and even consoles and glove boxes. Evidently you're not a track guy, if you were you'd know there are no security issues. I grew up in New York City where anything and everything was subject to getting swiped. It took me awhile to realize this is not the case with the track/racing community. In 15 years of doing this about 30-45 days per year we leave everything out overnight. Tools, jacks, helmets, transponders, unlocked cars that don't use ignition keys only a start button. I've never heard of even a screw driver disappearing. Security of your stuff is never ever an issue.

Thanks very much for planting the seed of fit testing a spare. All this being said, I'd still love to find a space saver inflatable spare.[/B]

Last edited by mwestc5; 02-20-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:23 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Here's an update to my spare tire saga.
I've heard through this forum that the latest version of the GTO donut will fit on our C5's. I've seen them on Ebay used selling around $120. I was unable to find the size specs(diamater/height) of these spares to see if it would fit in my conv and Z06 trunk. I called 1 of the Ebay sellers and he got me the sizes. Appox: 6" high x 25" diamater. I've got a Caddy CTS with an 18" donut, measured it--same size as the GTO spare. Tried fitting it into my conv trunk (Z is at the shop being prepped for track season). Inflated, it does not fit with top down, top up no problem. I let air out and it fits with top down. Will obviously eat into my trunk space but I can still get my smaller racing floor jack in there and room for some other stuff including my tiny air compressor and a can of Slime should I need it. Since the CTS spare is a 5 lug wheel I tired it on the Vette, surprisingly it actually fit, it clears the calipers and turns freely but will need a spacer. Won't know if will clear the calipers on the Z because it's got bigger Wilwood calipers. Hopefully it will work. At least this way I'll have peace of mind on long drives and especially at the track that should I get a flat I can't plug or inflate with Fix-A-Flat at least I can get a spare on it. If this thing fits over the Wilwoods I'm set. I'll just move the spare from car to car as I need it. And my CTS is 18" wheel vs the GTO spare 17". I've got 18' wheels on all corners on both cars.

Last edited by mwestc5; 02-24-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Collapsible Spare Tire For C5 ?

Quick Reply: Collapsible Spare Tire For C5 ?