C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in these 2 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Difference in these 2 tires?

The car is a weekend driven car, no autocross or anything like that. Just occasional street racing and cruising. My question what is the major differences in these two tires, 4ply vs 2ply maybe? I was going to buy the cheaper ones but wanted to get opinions first.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Gah sorry guys I just realized these are two different tires... I should've have looked harder before posting.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Van5150
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why these ,.,. I love my all season Continental DWS's.,.,
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Van5150
that is one of the lowest grip tires made for the c5z it's a winter rated wet / light snow tire. not what many operate their cars in
Old 02-22-2017, 11:18 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Either of those are a great choice for your car. The T1S is a little more of a daily driver tire than the Proxy1.

We did T1S on a C5 last fall the owner was thrilled with the new ride and grip.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:59 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Van5150
Not a big fan of the DWS's. I was interested in the T1S because it seemed like a nice tire for the money.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Not a big fan of the DWS's. I was interested in the T1S because it seemed like a nice tire for the money.
it is, not sure if they have improved but they were in production a decade ago and were really good at the time. a ps2 rival for less money. this is the old compound. if it's been updated it's likely even better. if it hasn't it's still not bad

night and day better than the re760 which is the only other in OE sizes.

i would personally buy this tire for stock wheels over the other available choices
Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racebum
it is, not sure if they have improved but they were in production a decade ago and were really good at the time. a ps2 rival for less money. this is the old compound. if it's been updated it's likely even better. if it hasn't it's still not bad

night and day better than the re760 which is the only other in OE sizes.

i would personally buy this tire for stock wheels over the other available choices

I currently have the re760's and I'm not very impressed with them. I already have a set of T1S front tires sitting in the garage waiting to go on, I'm going to put in my order for the rears soon. I hope to see a noticable difference over the re760s
Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes, definitely please post up impression after you put them on and get some miles on them. I have 255/295 Conti DW on my street wheels and whiel traction is good.... the soft sidewall makes me a little sad when I turn the wheel.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:55 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Yes, definitely please post up impression after you put them on and get some miles on them. I have 255/295 Conti DW on my street wheels and whiel traction is good.... the soft sidewall makes me a little sad when I turn the wheel.
I will def follow up with feedback. The DW's are nice tires and there was a good sale on tire rack but I read about the soft sidewall and that's what kept me from buying them.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
racebum
Race Director

I will def follow up with feedback. The DW's are nice tires and there was a good sale on tire rack but I read about the soft sidewall and that's what kept me from buying them.
also correct. the t1s use to be and i hope still is similar to the ps2

it's not the highest grip tire on the planet but it's stable, has good feedback. overall i felt it was a good all purpose sports car tire

modern top tier street tires like the pilot super sport outshine it but they are also not available in stock z06 sizes. if you have a high powered car you may need softer compounds. the only other tire, the nt05 doesn't really gain you much in the warm dry vs the t1s. it's maybe a little better but it gives up everywhere else

the re760 i felt was a terrible street tire. it was okay to launch and could go striaght well enough but the feedback was just terrible in a corner. you really had no idea where traction was until it started to let go and then it REALLY let go. steering response was numb, rain performance was really sub par. it reminded me a lot of an economy car tire

i don't mind the DW on luxury cars. the steering is indeed numb, soft sidewalls but above average rain performance and better traction than the 760. however, they still aren't as good as the t1s for this application

Last edited by racebum; 02-24-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

also correct. the t1s use to be and i hope still is similar to the ps2

it's not the highest grip tire on the planet but it's stable, has good feedback. overall i felt it was a good all purpose sports car tire

modern top tier street tires like the pilot super sport outshine it but they are also not available in stock z06 sizes. if you have a high powered car you may need softer compounds. the only other tire, the nt05 doesn't really gain you much in the warm dry vs the t1s. it's maybe a little better but it gives up everywhere else

the re760 i felt was a terrible street tire. it was okay to launch and could go striaght well enough but the feedback was just terrible in a corner. you really had no idea where traction was until it started to let go and then it REALLY let go. steering response was numb, rain performance was really sub par. it reminded me a lot of an economy car tire

i don't mind the DW on luxury cars. the steering is indeed numb, soft sidewalls but above average rain performance and better traction than the 760. however, they still aren't as good as the t1s for this application
Agreed. The re760 hooks okay and is just fine for daily driving but as far as cornering and steering response they perform poorly. I dont have any personal experience with the DW's or T1S, yet, but from the research I've done your response is spot on. I was also upset that my re760's only have about 10k miles on them and are dry rotted. I understand they are about 6 years old but they have been kept in a garage the better part of their life. Pretty disappointing.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 AM
racebum
Race Director

Agreed. The re760 hooks okay and is just fine for daily driving but as far as cornering and steering response they perform poorly. I dont have any personal experience with the DW's or T1S, yet, but from the research I've done your response is spot on. I was also upset that my re760's only have about 10k miles on them and are dry rotted. I understand they are about 6 years old but they have been kept in a garage the better part of their life. Pretty disappointing.
makes a guy wonder why bridgestone didn't make the really good re11 in stock z06 sizes. even the s04 would have been a HUGE improvement
Old 02-26-2017, 01:35 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

makes a guy wonder why bridgestone didn't make the really good re11 in stock z06 sizes. even the s04 would have been a HUGE improvement
Yes exactly. I have no idea why they didnt make them in stock Z sizes!

Get notified of new replies

To Difference in these 2 tires?

Quick Reply: Difference in these 2 tires?