C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify hard plastic "channels" under top rear fenders

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:40 AM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Identify hard plastic "channels" under top rear fenders

Going to be a hard question to phrase as I don't know what the parts are called or what they do. Anyway, I'm sound insulating the rear of my 03 coupe. As I tap around for sound I find two trays - one under each side of the upper fender surface. Looks like they could be wiring trays or water channels. They are made from a hard, brittle feeling plastic material with one side glued under the rubber hatch seal and the other just held in place by a single sheet metal nut on a small stud.

Both trays o my care are slightly loose and able to rattle. You would not know the "trays" are there unless you put your head low into the hatch and looked up at the upper fender surface on each side. I found these pieces pointed out in my manual but couldn't find a description of what they are or do.

Any body repair guys (or others)out there got any idea of what these are. I know it's a poor description of the pieces and location but it's all I got.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I believe I know what you're talking about. The driverside one has the RFA module above it. After removing that nut/screw, there is double sided tape holding it up. Usually it is a fight to carefully separate it from the tub. Once removed then you can see the RFA module. If you dont know what that is, its used for your key fob and tpms from your tires. Not sure what if anything would be on the passengers side. Nor what the true purpose of them would be.
Chris
Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A picture would help us see what you are talking about.

Here are some that I have with the rear fender removed:

This is a Corvette frame. Its a C6 but very very similar to a C5 Frame. The rear TUB sits on it. Are the channels in the fender liner or the TUB??

Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
I believe I know what you're talking about. The driverside one has the RFA module above it. After removing that nut/screw, there is double sided tape holding it up. Usually it is a fight to carefully separate it from the tub. Once removed then you can see the RFA module. If you dont know what that is, its used for your key fob and tpms from your tires. Not sure what if anything would be on the passengers side. Nor what the true purpose of them would be.
Chris
You seem to be on the right track. I don't have pictures. Can't imagine what would be above the passenger side that would need the protection of that plastic tray. Seems like a body guy doing rebuilds of totals would know what they are and why they are there??!!

Anyway mine are loose and able to rattle. Just happened to think that other people doing the sound insulation may have run into this puzzle.?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 03:05 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
A picture would help us see what you are talking about.

Here are some that I have with the rear fender removed:

This is a Corvette frame. Its a C6 but very very similar to a C5 Frame. The rear TUB sits on it. Are the channels in the fender liner or the TUB??

Don't see anything like my C5 mystery trays in these pics. Will try to take some pics of my car later in the day. Thanks

Last edited by BURL; 02-22-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 PM
BURL
Pro

I'm editing because just after I posted this I glanced at the second picture and saw something. If you look just above the near side missing fender to the under side of the far side fender you will see a glossy reflection that appears to be a tray. It's short (maybe 1" tall) and long (maybe 20 " or so)following the under side of the fender from rear to front. I know this is clear as mud but can you see the part I'm referring to? due to camera angle it's located in the picture just about the rectangular vent port in the far side fender and travels forward.

In my car there are one of these up and under each rear fender. For what, I don't know.

Get notified of new replies

To Identify hard plastic "channels" under top rear fenders

Quick Reply: Identify hard plastic "channels" under top rear fenders