C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem adjusting shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Charles L. Cotton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem adjusting shifter

I have a 2000 C5 Coupe with a MN6. I bought it when it had 18,000 miles on it and to my knowledge the stock shifter had not been adjusted. At about 120,000 miles, I was having trouble getting into some gears and often had grinding going into 5th or 6th gear. I adjusted the shifter and everything was great for about 20,000 miles.

The same problems returned and I've adjusted it 4 times in the last 5,000 miles. The last two times I did so, I couldn't get the neutral lock pin to push down. I adjusted it as best I could and it worked well, but the problem returned in a little over 1,000 miles.

I adjusted it again today and the neutral lock pin would not go into place when the shifter was in neutral. With the shifter in first gear, the lock pin would go down. I lifted it, put the shifter in neutral and was finally able to get the neutral lock pin to go fully down into position. However, it was not possible to move the shifter at all, until I lifted the lock pin. I did so and adjusted the shifter again.

Each time I torqued the bolts to 22 ft/lb. Each time it drove well, but only for relative few miles. I'm stumped! Has anyone run into this problem?

Thanks,
Chas.

Quick Reply: Problem adjusting shifter