C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged C5 Arizona Heat 160 or 190 Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:31 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Supercharged C5 Arizona Heat 160 or 190 Thermostat?

Hey guys, I have a supercharged 01 c5. In the midst of my winter projects, just got done swapping out engine and tranny mounts to hinson polyurethane. While doing the job I discovered that my lower radiator hose going to T-Stat is seeping coolant right where it connects to the T-Stat. The hose is close to 20 years old and feels spongy compared to other hoses and has lost its rigidity if you will, I don't see any damage on the hose. Ordered a new upper and lower radiator hose as preventative maintenance.

Currently in the process of interviewing for a new job located in AZ and would require relocation. I have never had any issues with overheating, in summer in city traffic I'm typically between 205 and 215 temp. The previous owner of my car listed that my car has a DYI 190 degree thermostat, which sounds like a stock temp t-stat. I don't know when it was replaced and given it's a fair amount of work to get to with having to remove the SC I'm planning on replacing the t-stat as preventative maintenance.

Should I go ahead and replace the t-stat with a lingenfelter 160degree one or go stock? Would it be beneficial at all to AZ heat or would I be better off turning on my fans at a lower speed, sticking with stock? If the job doesn't pan out I don't want to have to go back to a stock t-stat because of the wrong choice. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Hey guys, I have a supercharged 01 c5. In the midst of my winter projects, just got done swapping out engine and tranny mounts to hinson polyurethane. While doing the job I discovered that my lower radiator hose going to T-Stat is seeping coolant right where it connects to the T-Stat. The hose is close to 20 years old and feels spongy compared to other hoses and has lost its rigidity if you will, I don't see any damage on the hose. Ordered a new upper and lower radiator hose as preventative maintenance.

Currently in the process of interviewing for a new job located in AZ and would require relocation. I have never had any issues with overheating, in summer in city traffic I'm typically between 205 and 215 temp. The previous owner of my car listed that my car has a DYI 190 degree thermostat, which sounds like a stock temp t-stat. I don't know when it was replaced and given it's a fair amount of work to get to with having to remove the SC I'm planning on replacing the t-stat as preventative maintenance.

Should I go ahead and replace the t-stat with a lingenfelter 160degree one or go stock? Would it be beneficial at all to AZ heat or would I be better off turning on my fans at a lower speed, sticking with stock? If the job doesn't pan out I don't want to have to go back to a stock t-stat because of the wrong choice. Thanks.
Who is doing your tune? That is the person I would ask.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:17 AM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

I would use a 180* over a 160*.. only because the LS likes to run
warm- not just for emissions , but for engine longevity
That being said, It really matters more (in Arizona) When you
have your fans kick on and off.
The following users liked this post:
tommypenguin (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by foggy
I would use a 180* over a 160*.. only because the LS likes to run
warm- not just for emissions , but for engine longevity
That being said, It really matters more (in Arizona) When you
have your fans kick on and off.
Thanks, I will just keep the thermostat I have now and mess with my cooling fan settings in hptuners if I move.

Last edited by tommypenguin; 02-27-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:20 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

stock or 180 at the lowest, just have the fan settings adjusted... a dual core radiator and fan upgrade is not a bad idea either... a 160 stat will not make your car run cooler at idle with the ac on when you need it most, that is where the fan adjustment comes into play... personally I don't like 160 stats, as stated above during cold temps the car may run too cool while at cruising speeds and it will also take the car longer to get up to operating temp so the heater might not work as well as usual

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged C5 Arizona Heat 160 or 190 Thermostat?

Quick Reply: Supercharged C5 Arizona Heat 160 or 190 Thermostat?