C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED DRL/Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Rick Manning
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LED DRL/Turn Signals

Looking for guidance. I installed LED DRL's with Switchback Bulbs and a common load resistor connected to my flasher in the dash. Initially they worked fine then I began blowing bulbs x4 now. I changed the 3157 sockets, changed the bulbs again and I was good for about 2 hours. Now the one side works as it should and the other side will work with the headlights on, and zero with the DRL position?

Where to go next??
Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

This is what I bought
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

I know that the switchback bulbs were a pain in the *** to put in. I thought I was going to break the or the wire socket putting them in. Also both my housing had holes in the from the stock light bulbs burning a hole in the I fixed this also. The other parts I used replaced the hyperflash issue with a new relay inside of using the resistors at the bulbs. Someone reported that it smells like something buring using those.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Almost a month and still working great!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

So it was necessary to replace the flasher and socket even though you used the resistors?

RH
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Rick Manning
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
So it was necessary to replace the flasher and socket even though you used the resistors?

RH
Here's the long answer. I had to replace my DRL lenses because the heat from the HID bulbs melted holes in the top and any time I would get water in there (wash car, rain) I would blow the HID. I repaired the hole x3 over the years, replaced bulbs and sockets x??. I finally decided to put new lenses in with the LEDs along with the Hyper Flash Harness connected to the flasher under the dash, I did not use resistors. The mounting instructions for the resistor states "mount to a metal surface because of the heat generated" few metal surfaces in the DRL area on my corvette.

I found a loose connection going to my new socket and all is well.

Last edited by Rick Manning; 03-10-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Originally Posted by shootnstarz

RH
I did not use the resistors or replace the socket. I instaled a EL12 flasher relay. Again no problems.

You also must either replace or repair the housing as more than likely there is a hole in it. I could not find the video that show the hole. I used duct tape to fix mine while it was installed in car.

Open the headlight with the turn **** all the way up. Take black cover off. If you look down were the bulb goes more than likely above it you will see a hole above it. There is a gray plastic piece with a cicrle this is were I used the duct tape. I if find the video I will post up. I think it was from foggy on youtube.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Please read all the way to bottom there is one wire you dont cut.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...problem-2.html

Or buy the 60.00 premade flasher

Last edited by sirdano; 03-10-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM
R_Enough
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRL LED Switchback Issue....Please help!?!?!

I installed the LED switchback bulbs and resistors on my 2009 6 speed cp. The DRL's come on amber unless I have the parking lights on....... Reading different threads here; it is indicated to be a disappointing but normal function. Yet, returning to my purchase information it clearly states the DRL's will be white and only turn signals and flashers will be amber! Further, NOTHING comes on when I first start the car and for several minutes thereafter! I do NOT have the parking brake on and do have it gear. This gets topped off with me being a bit "thick" to say the least! But, I could use some help for clarification PLEASE? Thanks!
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To LED DRL/Turn Signals

Quick Reply: LED DRL/Turn Signals