C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Seat, Telescoping Column doesn't work Idea's Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Drivers Seat, Telescoping Column doesn't work Idea's Anyone

drivers seat was moved as for forward as possible and a wire was caught on the seat rails and pulled out of the electrical connector. The seat would not move in any direction.

The lumbar and seat bolsters were working before I replaced the wire in the connector now nothing works on the seat or telescoping steering column.

Swapped seat switches from driver to passenger seat and switches work fine. I have electrical power to switch and Seat Control Module.

DTC's show "No Comm" with SCM. Fuses for driver and passengers seat were swapped and are ok.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

did a wire get pulled out of something else also ???
Old 03-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pounder
did a wire get pulled out of something else also ???
Thanks Pounder, I looked and double checked all the electrical connections could not fine any other broken or loose wires or connection. Just don't understand, the steering column and seat bolsters and lumbar support was working prior to the re connection of the pulled out wire.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Rangerdog1
Thanks Pounder, I looked and double checked all the electrical connections could not fine any other broken or loose wires or connection. Just don't understand, the steering column and seat bolsters and lumbar support was working prior to the re connection of the pulled out wire.
disconnect the battery for ten minutes re hook and see what happens then !!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pounder
disconnect the battery for ten minutes re hook and see what happens then !!
Did the battery disconnect procedure and still no change. Looks like a used SCM $$$ is in my future. I'm going to remove the seat in the morning and manually adjust it to the rear at least it will be derivable while I wait on the SCM to arrive.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Update on OP I changed the SCM and seat harness and still could not get the power seat or steering wheel column to operate. Replaced the battery everything is working, still receiving code A6 SCM-no communication, but everything is working so I'm done.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default And, of course

Update on OP I changed the SCM and seat harness and still could not get the power seat or steering wheel column to operate. Replaced the battery everything is working, still receiving code A6 SCM-no communication, but everything is working so I'm done.
you have tested all fuses? Someone with a manual, or Bill C., ( sold mine due to illness-sorry) may be able to give you the wiring relationship between the column and the SCM. Why are they out together?
Dave Shiel

Last edited by David Shiel; 03-19-2017 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Dave, all the fuses were fine as long as the drivers seat keeps working and the only code I get is A6 SCM -No Comm I can live with that. I did attempt to trace the wiring circuit and I had power to the SCM just not enough volts. The telescoping wheel, the door control module and the SCM must communicate with each other is my guess.
Monty
Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

drivers seat was moved as for forward as possible and a wire was caught on the seat rails and pulled out of the electrical connector. The seat would not move in any direction.

The lumbar and seat bolsters were working before I replaced the wire in the connector now nothing works on the seat or telescoping steering column.

Swapped seat switches from driver to passenger seat and switches work fine. I have electrical power to switch and Seat Control Module.

DTC's show "No Comm" with SCM. Fuses for driver and passengers seat were swapped and are ok.
Two things came to my mind: the possibility that the wire pulled from the connector was internally damaged producing an intermittent or completely open connection, or that some female pins in the connector were deformed causing a bad connection.

You mentioned you replaced the seat harness, but you still have in place the old mating connector, so the possibility of some deformed pins affecting the integrity of the connection is still there, right?

Another weak point is the connectors inside the door's accordion. Bill Curlee has documented this issue extensively. Check this post out for more details.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...The telescoping wheel, the door control module and the SCM must communicate with each other is my guess.
Monty
Yes, the door control module and the seat control module are connected to the serial communication bus. The seat control module controls the seat and also the telescoping function of the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Rangerdog1 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

I did a check for loose pins in each of the connectors both under the seat and on the door, I didn't find any. However I broke one of the wires when I was inspecting the black connector coming from under the carpet below the seat. I soldiered it back together that was the first thing I found the first time I removed the seat about 10 iterations ago. I drove the car around for over an hour and the only code I get is the No Comm for the SCM every thing else works. I wonder if the SCM has to be sync'ed with a TECH 2 or not. Thank you, I've learned a lot from just reading the CF members post and answering.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...I wonder if the SCM has to be sync'ed with a TECH 2 or not...
Not that I know of​​​​.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:21 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...I drove the car around for over an hour and the only code I get is the No Comm for the SCM every thing else works...
Why don't you open the Star Connector 2 and check for continuity the entire path between the SCM and pin K? You should have 0 ohm, or very close to it.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

I read Bill's thread you noted in the earlier reply and ordered the connectors that were recommended. When they arrive I will remove that seat one more time and follow your recommendation on the electrical K wire. It will be a week before I can get back to work on this it will a few days for those connectors to arrive. Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Let us know how it goes
The following users liked this post:
Rangerdog1 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:46 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Under the drivers seat is a control module that controls memory, steering wheel ect. Im sure that wire you crushed just needs to be fixed
Old 03-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Under the drivers seat is a control module that controls memory, steering wheel ect. Im sure that wire you crushed just needs to be fixed
Thanks SuperTom, I'm going to live with the no comm for the SCM until something else goes wrong. I have no other DTC's and everything works, telescoping wheel, seat moves in all directions and the lumbar and seat bolsters work. I did repair the broken wire but still no comm with the SCM. I'm going to enjoy driving it for now.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers Seat, Telescoping Column doesn't work Idea's Anyone

Quick Reply: Drivers Seat, Telescoping Column doesn't work Idea's Anyone