C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t56 1-2 blocker rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 AM
kramdua
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 1-2 blocker rings

i don't come on here much but when i do i usually get my questions answered.
ok 2nd gear grind if you shift fast. otherwise works perfect. i have been lining up my parts. well i went to place the call for my order they said i needed 3 rings per 1st and 2nd gear. inner, outer, and middle. well now the outer is out of stock and shows obsolete. i know all the friction material is on the middle and inner. my question is does the outer normally need replacement. remember it shifts great until you shift quickly.
thank you,
mark
Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm not sure it would be completely necessary to replace, but since everything will be out and apart why not replace it all?

Here is the kit I bought for my 03 Z06 when mine had the same issue as you, 1-2 would grind every time, and it wouldn't let me downshift into 2nd. The syncro was completely worn out. This kit gives you everything to replace.

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/t56-...d-kit-package/

Are you planning on doing this yourself, or have a shop do it?
The following users liked this post:
jjc508520 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM
kramdua
Heel & Toe

Default thank you

Originally Posted by lane_viper
I'm not sure it would be completely necessary to replace, but since everything will be out and apart why not replace it all?

Here is the kit I bought for my 03 Z06 when mine had the same issue as you, 1-2 would grind every time, and it wouldn't let me downshift into 2nd. The syncro was completely worn out. This kit gives you everything to replace.

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/t56-...d-kit-package/

Are you planning on doing this yourself, or have a shop do it?
i was brought up as a ford dealer mechanic with many manual trans rebuilds so i'll give it a shot. the great thing now is google and how much info there is. i'll look into the kit.
mark
Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM
lane_viper
Racer

Originally Posted by kramdua
i was brought up as a ford dealer mechanic with many manual trans rebuilds so i'll give it a shot. the great thing now is google and how much info there is. i'll look into the kit.
mark
Yeah you should be good to go. I rebuilt mine without ever have doing a transmission rebuild.

You will need a few things if you don't have them already (shop press, clip remover tools).

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Getting the tranny out of the car is really the most time consuming part.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 AM
kramdua
Heel & Toe

thanks lane,
Old 03-24-2017, 02:40 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

You might check thegearbox.org for parts also, even though the rings are discontinued for some reason you can still get them if you buy the kit it's about 8 or 900, they had them last yr when I rebuilt mine
Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM
kramdua
Heel & Toe

i spent 18 years at ford dealer as tech. you rooted for ford on race day, you owned fords, and you had ford engines such as 302 lacking torque and power. basically left ford and bought the vette. ford has stepped it up in power but it's to late. i'm hooked.

mark
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
lane_viper
Racer

I will tell you, I was going to use google, but I really didn't find a whole lot when it comes to a C5 T56 rebuild. They are slightly different than the other GM T56.

I was able to get a few .pdf's of what I believe is an 06 Vette, which worked. That and I found a parts diagram with part numbers and used it to put everything together again. Lots of little parts.

Let me know if you would like the .pdf's I have.

Lane
Old 03-27-2017, 06:49 PM
kramdua
Heel & Toe

we have snap-on pro demand software at work. it is pretty thorough and uses gm diagrams. it is good to have web back up. there is a guy on you tube that has a great video on the rebuild.
thanks all.

Get notified of new replies

To t56 1-2 blocker rings

Quick Reply: t56 1-2 blocker rings