C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks and Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Shocks and Suspension

Hi all,

2003 vert with 108K miles on it. Looking for some guidance... I've got original, yes original, suspension equipment - shocks, sway bars, sway bar ends, bushings, etc...

Developing some serious squeaks in the front end. Changes based on temperatures... After two hours of driving yesterday, the squeaks were the worst yet. Debating whether or not to take it to the shop or do myself. Haven't done anything suspension related in quite some time - shocks all the way around my 02 Durango about six years ago...

Seems like there are a lot of moving parts and I want to make sure that I am on the right track...

If I were to summarize, the suspension components I would be looking at sway bar, sway bar bushings, end links, shocks and shock bushings? Am I in the ball park?? Other typical parts?

Shocks I get - set of four, should come with the appropriate replacement bushings... But sway bars, end links and bushings are Greek to me. Seems like there is a lot out there on upgrading the sway bars with Z06 bars and upgrading the end links to new aluminum...

At a minimum, I think that I should replace the shocks (because they are OLD) and the bushings to help chase the squeaks. This looks like a $650 effort with some basic Bilstein (~$500) shocks and some urethane bushings (~$150).

This weekend, I was thinking...
• Undo the front sway bar from the frame and test for squeak. If squeak is gone, the bushings should be to blame.
• If squeak still around, undo shocks from A arm; raise A arm up and down. If no squeak, most likely from the shock and shock bushings...
• If squeak from A arm, lubricate?

I suspect that there will be a good many who will say that "while you are in there you may as well change out the sway bars and end links..."
Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Why not skip the Bilstein and go with C6 Z06 shocks? A set of 4 are under $300. Check out Gene at Cultrag.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 PM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
2003 vert with 108K miles on it. Looking for some guidance... I've got original, yes original, suspension equipment - shocks, sway bars, sway bar ends, bushings, etc...

Z06 shocks are a great idea, brand new OE GM components for sale at $302, in stock:
C5/C6 Z06 shock upgrade kit

Let me know if I can help at all

Last edited by subchev; 03-27-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
outsideline
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
Hi all,

Developing some serious squeaks in the front end. Changes based on temperatures... After two hours of driving yesterday, the squeaks were the worst yet. Debating whether or not to take it to the shop or do myself. Haven't done anything suspension related in quite some time - shocks all the way around my 02 Durango about six years ago...

Seems like there are a lot of moving parts and I want to make sure that I am on the right track...

If I were to summarize, the suspension components I would be looking at sway bar, sway bar bushings, end links, shocks and shock bushings? Am I in the ball park?? Other typical parts?

Shocks I get - set of four, should come with the appropriate replacement bushings... But sway bars, end links and bushings are Greek to me. Seems like there is a lot out there on upgrading the sway bars with Z06 bars and upgrading the end links to new aluminum...

At a minimum, I think that I should replace the shocks (because they are OLD) and the bushings to help chase the squeaks. This looks like a $650 effort with some basic Bilstein (~$500) shocks and some urethane bushings (~$150).

This weekend, I was thinking...
• Undo the front sway bar from the frame and test for squeak. If squeak is gone, the bushings should be to blame.
• If squeak still around, undo shocks from A arm; raise A arm up and down. If no squeak, most likely from the shock and shock bushings...
• If squeak from A arm, lubricate?

I suspect that there will be a good many who will say that "while you are in there you may as well change out the sway bars and end links..."
How about a set of 04 Z06 shocks taken off at 10,000 miles $250.00
and a set of Z06 front & rear sway bars with metal end links $200.00
Plus shipping. PM me if interested.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

John, check your sway bar end links. some of the C5's came with plastic ones and if you have them, I'd be surprised if one or more aren't broken with that mileage.

Also do you have the Magnetic Selective Ride option? if you do, that will impact your shock decision.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
John, check your sway bar end links. some of the C5's came with plastic ones and if you have them, I'd be surprised if one or more aren't broken with that mileage.

Also do you have the Magnetic Selective Ride option? if you do, that will impact your shock decision.

Good luck... GUSTO
Was going to ask that very same question. Do you have Base FE-1, Z-51, ZO6 or F-55 Magnetic Selective Ride.

If you want just a more stable and controlled suspension and don't want to spend a lot of cash, the C6 Z06 shocks fit the billet well. OEM BOLT RIGHT IN.

Bill

Bill
Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by GUSTO14

Good luck... GUSTO
No Magnetic Selective Ride.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Was going to ask that very same question. Do you have Base FE-1, Z-51, ZO6 or F-55 Magnetic Selective Ride.

If you want just a more stable and controlled suspension and don't want to spend a lot of cash, the C6 Z06 shocks fit the billet well. OEM BOLT RIGHT IN.

Bill

Bill
Bill, I don't know which suspension that I have... Sorry.

How would I determine? I haven't crawled under yet to look at the end links. Planning on this weekend. The VIN is 1G1YY32G035103331

Seems like Z06 shocks are the recommended route...
Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

FE1. Figured it out. Looks like I'll have to decide on an upgrade.

Thanks all!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

How much stiffer are the c6 z06 shocks over the stock c5 corvette?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tombrammer
How much stiffer are the c6 z06 shocks over the stock c5 corvette?
Nothing BONE JARRING. You will feel the road a little more but,,,, You will also feel more suspension control and that my friend will put a SMILE on your face!! Your car will be a LOT more stable. Especially on high speed maneuvers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Car:RamRod (03-29-2017), tombrammer (04-07-2018)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Car:RamRod
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of the ZO6 sway bars being swapped into C5s. Are the OEM ZO6 bars and end links that work the best??
Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts

I have these shocks on my C6 Grand Sport and I love them! I had a base C5 and from a shock-only perspective, there is a difference for sure. I had FE1 and it was a soft-ride and very comfortable, but didn't fight the road like I wanted. As previously said, nothing bone jarring, but definitely a formidable upgrade, and very satisfying for the price.
1997-2013 CHEVROLET C5 C6 CORVETTE GENUINE GM C6 Z06 SHOCK UPGRADE KIT

The factory sway bars have been disco'd,
here is a link for end links:

http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/oe-gm/20822934
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Car:RamRod
I see a lot of the ZO6 sway bars being swapped into C5s. Are the OEM ZO6 bars and end links that work the best??
The C5 ZO6 swaybars are excellent. Dont use the C6 ZO6 bars unless you have some very WIDE tires.

Bill
Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 PM
elfatty
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnetic ride control?

Originally Posted by subchev
Z06 shocks are a great idea, brand new OE GM components for sale at $302, in stock:
C5/C6 Z06 shock upgrade kit

Let me know if I can help at all
So I have a 2008 with magnetic ride control. They are all leaking is there a substitute for these? I'm kind of a broke *** these days
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 AM
KCK8766
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by elfatty
So I have a 2008 with magnetic ride control. They are all leaking is there a substitute for these? I'm kind of a broke *** these days
The F55 shocks, which I believe is what you have, range from $600-900 depending on where you buy them. By the way that price is EACH!

I got C6 Z06 shocks from Rock Auto. They were around $240-250 TOTAL with shipping. I installed myself, and spent $25 at the local Corvette shop to have the F55 system deleted from the car. (Shop has to have a Tech II and know how)

If you have any mechanical ability at all, the shocks ARE a do it yourself project. Just take your time with it and make sure to set the nuts and bolts to the correct torque spec.
The following users liked this post:
subchev (04-01-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 AM
Car:RamRod
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The C5 ZO6 swaybars are excellent. Dont use the C6 ZO6 bars unless you have some very WIDE tires.

Bill
Thanks Bill, much appreciative!

-Reese
Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 PM
WetMountainMan
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Someopne please explain what the F55 system is. Idon't think my 2002 Base Vert has it, but not knowing what that means...???

Get notified of new replies

To Shocks and Suspension

Old 04-07-2018, 12:21 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by WetMountainMan
Someopne please explain what the F55 system is. Idon't think my 2002 Base Vert has it, but not knowing what that means...???
First year of the F55 system is 2003, so there is no way yours can have it unless someone upgraded it to F55. It can have the F45 system, which is an inferior system to F55. Do you have a ride selector switch on your center console? It will have three options: tour, sport, and performance. If you don't have that, you don't have F45.

Last edited by Tsumi; 04-07-2018 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WetMountainMan (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:44 AM
WetMountainMan
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
First year of the F55 system is 2003, so there is no way yours can have it unless someone upgraded it to F55. It can have the F45 system, which is an inferior system to F55. Do you have a ride selector switch on your center console? It will have three options: tour, sport, and performance. If you don't have that, you don't have F45.
Thanks, I sort of figured that it had to do something with the ride selector, and I don't have that. I just thought it odd that a special tech had to disable something to change shock types

Last edited by WetMountainMan; 04-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems to be a popular upgrade this time of season. Being it’s my first, I imagine it is. The stock Z06 shocks best price I’ve gotten was 300 shipping included. Once I started researching for my own upgrade application, the C6Z51 sway bars with the factory Z06 shocks were the best performing upgrade for the cost. However, I made the mistake of upgrading my sways for the sake of making the best of the suspension upgrade. Not for my driving needs. Once they arrived the reality set in that, my C5 has 40k miles on it, the shock upgrade no doubt will be appreciated. The sways I don’t believe will. For stabilizing car roll in high speed while turning is not something I need. Not at $394 with GM metal ends, delivery included. Cultrag performance. Also with no shop at my disposal with the added cost of install.... Impulse buy without perspective. Unless you auto cross or you are regularly heavy in the peddle in the on and off ramp don’t waste your money. The shocks are cheaper and the difference in shock performance is immediate. Replacing the ware and tare parts, stock sways, with the upgraded ends couldn’t hurt, and definetly go for the Z06 factory shocks will produce a pleasing upgrade.

My upgrades ill test and post my review on the forum tomorrow. With “Top Speeds” axle back exhaust.

My thread during my research during the same upgrade. Good luck.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...300-total.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html

Last edited by C5 for life; 04-08-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Shocks and Suspension