C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eradispeed Rotor Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 10:28 PM
TURBOTOC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eradispeed Rotor Discoloration

After 685 break in miles, I "seasoned" the rotors per Baer instructions. Upon completion all four rotors in the firepath of the pads had turned a dark blue-purple. The discoloration looks like the rotors over-heated; however, the "seasoning" process is mild and I did not experience vibration or fad. Perhaps the discoloration is from the zinc plating and will come off over time. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what did you do about it?
Old 10-07-2002, 10:40 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Eradispeed Rotor Discoloration (TURBOTOC)

What type of pads are you using? are tye Carbon Based? If so a thin layer of Carbon builds up on the Rotors and will stay there as long as you are running the Carbon Based pads. The only way to get it off is to sand off the layer of Carbon and use another type pad. :yesnod:

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 10-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

That bluish color is exactly what you want to see after completing the seasoning procedure. It indicates the rotors acheived the desired temperature to complete the seasoning process. It will disappear very quickly as you start to use the brakes normally.

Good job. :cheers:
Old 10-07-2002, 10:56 PM
TURBOTOC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Eradispeed Rotor Discoloration (Patches)

The pads that I installed are GM for the Z06.
I hope you are right, your answer was more specific than Baer's.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:00 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a web page link at work that explains it all in great detail. I'll try and post it tomorrow.

Incidentally, my Eradispeeds that I installed this summer had the same discoloration for about a day or so after I finished the seasoning. 100 miles or so later, they looked and worked normally.

:cheers:

[Modified by Patches, 10:02 PM 10/7/2002]
Old 10-08-2002, 08:32 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the link and an excerpt:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Fortunately the procedure is also good for the discs and will relieve any residual thermal stresses left over from the casting process (all discs should be thermally stress relieved as one of the last manufacturing processes) and will transfer the smooth layer of pad material onto the disc. If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward. Again, heat should be put into the system gradually - increasingly hard stops with cool off time in between. Part of the idea is to avoid prolonged contact between pad and disc. With abrasive pads (which should not be used on high performance cars) the disc can be considered bedded when the friction surfaces have attained an even blue color. With the carbon metallic type pads, bedding is complete when the friction surfaces of the disc are a consistent gray or black. In any case, the discoloration of a completely broken in disc will be complete and uniform.

Get notified of new replies

To Eradispeed Rotor Discoloration

Quick Reply: Eradispeed Rotor Discoloration