C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:16 PM
JMon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power

Is there any bolt on pipes I can use to just drop out my catalytic convertors? I want to be able to pop the stock ones back on when I have to pass emmisions.
What are the HP/TQ gains? Any downside to this?
Old 10-08-2002, 12:24 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (JMon)

Downside is that you will still have pup cats, and they are more restictive than the catalitic (sp?) converters. I would keep the converters and get rid of the pup cats, IMO. Anyway to answer your question, you would have to have a shop make you a couple of custom straight piped with flanges to relace the cats.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:29 PM
JMon
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (ICULUKN-C5)

I think I just have the 2 catalytic converters on my car no pre-cats.
I'm also not sure about the whole back pressure issue.
Would I be any better getting hi-flow cats?
Old 10-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Pat97Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (JMon)

Yes, you have 2 cats only on your 97.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:04 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no "bolt on" cat replacements. You have to make your own. What i did was buy an old stock H-pipe (the portion that gets replaced by a Corsa X-pipe or Bassani X-pipe) from a forum member. Then i bought the MTI off-road X-pipe(designed to be used with the TPIS long tube headers) and had it welded to the old stock H-pipe.......had to put a 10" extension in between for each pipe to get the overall length right.

By doing it this way i was able to keep my stock intermediate pipe w/cats (the section of exhaust from the collectors to the flanges of the "over-the-axle-pipe"), and could swap this section out when needed with my "off-road" set-up......and vise-versa. :yesnod:

As for HP/TQ gains......well see this thread and you decide:cry http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=405226

[Modified by 97C5ENVY, 12:07 PM 10/8/2002]
Old 10-08-2002, 02:17 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Robert of Florida Performance in Fort Lauderdale..954-491-1012. He is a master welder and has done this before for some members...Tell him I referred you!:D
Old 10-08-2002, 03:05 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

JMon,

I strongly advise against this mod on a stock cubic car. It was done on my car and I ended up loosing about 5rwhp/tq instead of gaining. I don't think it is worth the hassle if you're after the hp gains. But if you're going for the loud muscle sound, then I say go for it.

:cheers:
-Tuan
Old 10-08-2002, 03:45 PM
JMon
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (Tuan Le)

Actually I read one of your old posts where you actually lost 10hp.
Now if only I could make my C5 sound like my old Firehawk (with gutted cats) I would be so happy. Baddest sounding car I've ever heard. I don't mean extremely loud but loud enough and deep as hell.
SLP told me that no matter what I can't make an LS-1 corvette sound like my LT1 hawk.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:49 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Actually I read one of your old posts where you actually lost 10hp.
Yeah...I lost track of the actual number. But in that post, I did include the before and after dynograph. :cheers:

I may go back to stock exhaust after the 408 motor goes in. That is to keep the noise level down when I'm hauling azz on Sat night.:D
Old 10-08-2002, 06:22 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

NOT worth the effort, or the potential problems. In addition, although some don't like to face the truth, it is a federal felony and you are contributing to the polution factor. :smash:
Old 10-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (carpe dm)

To answer your question and not your ethics it is quite simple and you will see some gains.

Either:
A. Purhase the FLP complete exhaust system from Nate @ Xtrememotorsports.

B. Purchase an off road X pipe from BPP or have a muffler shop make you one, weld flanges on it, and then weld flanges to your cats and wah lah you have a bolt in system.

I had a 97 and bought an xtra mid pipe at a junkyard for $250, I can swap in and out the system in about 1/2 hour. Use the 02 simulators, that way you don't have to get LS1 edit and delete or install the rear 02's everytime you wish to swap back and forth between an off road and street setup.
Good Luck.

PS I don't know how anybody ends up seeing no gains by opening up their exhuast. I guess they skipped the part about dynoing with open headers. The more your exhaust flow the better...period. I have done this mod and on my old 97 picked up 7 RWHP and 12 RWTQ. I did this mod to my Z and it is very noticeable...especially since I have to let off the gas to get traction now when shifting into 2nd @ WOT, prior too (4 hours before) with the stock manifolds, pup cats, and cats, I could stand on the throttle and my 335 size tires would spin some and then catch...now they just light up if I don't back off the throttle...that is more torque my friend.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:40 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (carpe dm)

NOT worth the effort, or the potential problems. In addition, although some don't like to face the truth, it is a federal felony and you are contributing to the polution factor. :smash:
Old 10-08-2002, 10:06 PM
JMon
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (jschindler)

pollution? You should see my jet ski now that's pollution!!! :eek:
After reading Luan Le's old post I'm not going to do it. I might if I got like 30hp or something but for little to none or even - I won't bother.

I didn't know it was a federal felony! So if I got caught without cat's 3 times I got life? MAN! Funny thing is my VW bug is perfectly legal with no cats, but my nice fuel injected corvette I can get thrown in jail if I pull the cats? I can't believe it would be a felony....
Old 10-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Big Carrot
Burning Brakes

You wouldn't want to kill a spotted owl or anything, but I GAINED 14rwhp and 7 lbs of torque. Sounds much better and runs a little better. I wouldn't do it if I was you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Pat97Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So if I got caught without cat's 3 times I got life?
Nope. You can be fined up to $25,000 per offense due to tampering or replacing before the old one is worn out, according to the Clean Air Act. Unless you are gutting cats for profit, multiple times, it may not be worth the EPA's time to go after individuals. Then, of course, they have to prove you violated the law, which is difficult. Unless you get on the forum and brag about tampering or replacing your cats, then you just admitted your own guilt in writing, on a public board. I've seen many owners do this, which is kind of dumb. If the EPA ever wants to start issuing violations, they got all the confessions right here.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:57 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power (Pat97Vette)

If the EPA ever wants to start issuing violations, they got all the confessions right here.

I GUTTED MY CATS!!!!! Neener Neener Neener.... :p: and I have pictures to prove it...

Oh ...And Spotted Owl tastes like chicken... :p: :p: :p:
and I speed when nobody is looking... :D

[Modified by chuckster, 8:59 PM 10/8/2002]
Old 10-08-2002, 10:58 PM
6500RPM
Racer

(So if I got caught without cat's 3 times I got life? MAN! Funny thing is my VW bug is perfectly legal with no cats, but my nice fuel injected corvette I can get thrown in jail if I pull the cats?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power

Quick Reply: How do I get rid of the catalytic converters? Increase in power