C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package!

As you may recall, the Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition paced the 2002 Indianapolis 500. This was the thirteenth time that a Chevrolet paced this famed race and the fifth time that Corvette was chosen for this distinction

In recognition of this honor, Chevrolet is pleased to announce that a special Corvette 50th Anniversary Indy 500 Pace Car decal package is now available. This graphics package contains the decals required to give a Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition coupe the appearance of a 2002 Indianapolis 500 pace car.

The details of the package are below:

Contents: 19 piece graphics package, instructions, and applicator squeegee
Availability: On or before December 1, 2002

The package is available as a GM Official Licensed Product.

Note: Due to the complexity of these decals, it is recommended that a professional graphics installer complete the installation.

We know that many of you have been waiting for this graphics package.

We are offering this package at a special price to Forum members of $465 plus S/H.

To place an order before the packages are all gone, please call Robert Wendorff in our parts department at 406-628-4121 or email him at corvetteparts@hotmail.com
Old 11-13-2002, 02:35 PM
BadAttitude
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (Ken Fichtner)

Ok, I'll be the one to say what everyone else is thinking - and take the heat for it.

Oh-My-God!

GM has officially sunk to an all-time new low. A freaking "sticker package" pace car? In all it's officially licensed glory? Shame, shame, shame on you GM. If you couldn't do any better than a "sticker package", you should've just saved us Vette enthusiasts the embarassment.

I realize the Vette is one of the few (only?) cars in recent history that can pace the 500 without needing any performance mods to handle the chore so I can understand a bit. But hell, at least the previous Pace Car WAS it's own option code, color, wheel color, etc.

Tisk tisk tisk...

And here we are, day in and day out, poking fun at the, umm, "ricers" for their... well... ummmm... uhhh... errrrr... for their, well, stickers. :(

Ouch! That little dose of reality really stings! :nonod:

Ah well, just one man's humble opinion. Oh, and just to be perfectly clear... absolutely NO disrespect intended or directed toward the originator of this thread. He's simply "the messenger" doing his job.

Regards,
BadAttitude

[Modified by BadAttitude, 1:38 PM 11/13/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 02:43 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (BadAttitude)

I actually thought it sounded pretty good.

To each his own, I guess.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Hammbone Fudge (10-23-2019)
Old 11-13-2002, 03:19 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

:U YUCK!!! but like they say to each their own....
Old 11-13-2002, 04:16 PM
1fastdog
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'll be the one to say what everyone else is thinking - and take the heat for it.

Oh-My-God!

GM has officially sunk to an all-time new low. A freaking "sticker package" pace car? In all it's officially licensed glory? Shame, shame, shame on you GM. If you couldn't do any better than a "sticker package", you should've just saved us Vette enthusiasts the embarassment.

I realize the Vette is one of the few (only?) cars in recent history that can pace the 500 without needing any performance mods to handle the chore so I can understand a bit. But hell, at least the previous Pace Car WAS it's own option code, color, wheel color, etc.

Tisk tisk tisk...

And here we are, day in and day out, poking fun at the, umm, "ricers" for their... well... ummmm... uhhh... errrrr... for their, well, stickers. :(

Ouch! That little dose of reality really stings! :nonod:

Ah well, just one man's humble opinion. Oh, and just to be perfectly clear... absolutely NO disrespect intended or directed toward the originator of this thread. He's simply "the messenger" doing his job.

Regards,
BadAttitude

[Modified by BadAttitude, 1:38 PM 11/13/2002]
I suppose it's how you look at it.

Most of the Pace Car deals from GM were dealer installed decals in the past.

There's an old saying that suggests " You can't win for losing".

If someone would rather there have been an RPO that would let a dealer hose you for up to $15K over sticker for the joy of owning a $ 500.00 dealer installed decal package, I guess GM prevented that from happening by this move. Too bad they averted a potential customer gouging. :nopity
Old 11-13-2002, 04:21 PM
BadAttitude
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (1fastdog)

Like ya say, I guess it's all in how you look at it. I just never thought I'd live to see the day when GM was releasing "sticker kits" for the Corvette.

What's next? A special 51st Anniversary Edition...? Complete with LED Wiper Nozzles and Exhaust Tips? :jester

Just my nickel's worth... as always, YMMV.
BadAttitude
Old 11-13-2002, 04:33 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

As a former owner of one of the countries most pristine 78 Indy Pace Cars, I must say this is ridiculous.

It all started when they had a 50th & Pace car the SAME color & used decals to differentiate them.....

Special/Limited Edition cars were special when there was something "special" about them.

Is ANYONE going to put these decals on a different color car?
Just wondering out loud.....
Old 11-13-2002, 05:10 PM
1fastdog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (indypace78)

Probably less than Grand Sport stripes are put on C5's...\

The pace car for the 500 was a 50th Anniversary Edition Corvette. The car had graphics installed that are much like the IRL series pace cars, LeMans pace cars, Rolex pace cars.

How do any pace cars, Corvette or otherwise, fare on the collector market? I'd guess some do well while others do not.

As for "special"? All 'vettes are special IMO. The '78 PC is a good looking car so I can see you would be proud of it.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The '78 pace car, '95 pace car and '98 pace cars are more than just "GM installed decal kits" they also have some items exclusive to each one.
for example,
'78 pace car - special paint (black over silver), silver interior.
'95 pace car - special paint (purple over white), two tone seat covers (purple & white), embroidered head rests.
'98 pace car - special paint (radar blue), two tone seat covers (yellow & black w/neon yellow stitching) neon yellow stitching on steering wheel, shift boot, shift ****, and e-brake boot, embroidered floor mats.

so every pace car option IS more than just a "decal kit" except the '86.

The '86 pace car was the only "decal kit" pace car because every '86 convertible was designated a "pace car".

The 50th decal kit dosn't make an '03 anniversary edition a real "pace car" because it's NOT an RPO option. :cheers:
Old 11-13-2002, 07:44 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (RPOZ4Z)

i reread the offer and i did not see any where he ask for opinions or comments,you guys are something else :rolleyes:
Old 11-13-2002, 08:14 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Thanks Ken for offering this product. It will be a cool addition to a 50 anniv. car if that is what the owner wants.

Maybe a new thread talking about "what you think about the sticker kit" should be started?

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I wasn't offering my opnion on this thread, I was just correcting the observation of 1fastdog who posted the reply below.

I suppose it's how you look at it.

Most of the Pace Car deals from GM were dealer installed decals in the past.

There's an old saying that suggests " You can't win for losing".

If someone would rather there have been an RPO that would let a dealer hose you for up to $15K over sticker for the joy of owning a $ 500.00 dealer installed decal package, I guess GM prevented that from happening by this move. Too bad they averted a potential customer gouging. :nopity
I could care less if someone wants to put the pace car decals on their 50th anniversary car, they won't make it a pace car! and that's not my opnion, it's a FACT. :yesnod:
Old 11-13-2002, 09:12 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and GM is offering somes eyes some beauty. In my eyes, there is no decal beauty to behold. But I've seen other C5 with painted on decals (a yellow or red coupe with a white nose and huge vette emblem across the middle of the hood comes to mind), so GM made it simple to get the pace car look without a lot of expense or problems. All I can say I can understand why some 50th anniv. owners would want it.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:19 PM
pridnjoy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

I know this may be the unpopular vote, and I have no true desire to do so, but the pace car decal kit may look great on other color cars, like yellow or black. Keep in mind the purchaser would not have to put all the decals on their car, but IMO it would be pretty cool. For less than $500 it would be fun to do and if you decide you like keep them on. Just because you put some decals on a ZO6 does not make it a pace car. Plus, look at all the ZO6 wheels (reg. finish or chrome) on all the coupes, verts and frcs on this forum. Why is that any different- it's a factory option that has been put on a car that was not offered with that option.

I am done now. :seeya
Old 11-14-2002, 12:35 AM
MYFRSTC5
Advanced

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (pridnjoy)

Personally, I think it would look pretty cool on a pewter vert with an oak top & interior and magnesium wheels. The color combo would look awesome. I have to decide what direction I want to take my baby! :chevy
Old 11-14-2002, 10:26 AM
BadAttitude
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (clem zahrobsky)

i reread the offer and i did not see any where he ask for opinions or comments,you guys are something else
Hmmm, OMG, you know you're right! :rolleyes:

But, I guess for some strange, undiscovered reason posts in a "discussion forum" invite, of ALL things.... (Gasp!) ...discussion! :yesnod:

Who'd a thunk it!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:46 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

"If it doesn't add horsepower.............why spend the money!"
just my$.02

Get notified of new replies

To 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package!

Old 11-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (l2vette)

just my$.02
Old 11-15-2002, 10:25 AM
1fastdog
Burning Brakes

The '78 pace car, '95 pace car and '98 pace cars are more than just "GM installed decal kits" they also have some items exclusive to each one.
for example,
'78 pace car - special paint (black over silver), silver interior.
'95 pace car - special paint (purple over white), two tone seat covers (purple & white), embroidered head rests.
'98 pace car - special paint (radar blue), two tone seat covers (yellow & black w/neon yellow stitching) neon yellow stitching on steering wheel, shift boot, shift ****, and e-brake boot, embroidered floor mats.

so every pace car option IS more than just a "decal kit" except the '86.

The '86 pace car was the only "decal kit" pace car because every '86 convertible was designated a "pace car".

The 50th decal kit dosn't make an '03 anniversary edition a real "pace car" because it's NOT an RPO option. :cheers:
True for the cars you mention, but there have been lots of GM cars used as pace vehicles and the total is what I refer to.

There is no pace car RPO for 2003... righto. Want a pace car replica of the 50th Anniversary... buy a decal package. The "real" pace car doesn't have an RPO for a pace car either... guess it isn't a "real" pace car.

No argument here from me. There was a decision to not do a pace car edition because the pace car was a 50th Anniversary...not a "Pace Car"... big requests have been made for the graphics package... the decals have been offered. No one is trying to fool anyone, just make some customers that want it happy..there's my point. As decals go, they are reasonably priced for the complexity.

It isn't my cup of tea, but I do think it's ok that someone who wants it can have it.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package! (l2vette)

just my$.02
'cause people like to change the looks of the car too....isn't odd that others think think differently sometimes ;) :D :cheers:

"MG2K - Covering the Spectrum, from Car Show Winner to Drag Racing Champ!" ;)

Quick Reply: 50TH Anniversary Indy Pace Car Decal Package!