C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best MAF mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Ross78
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best MAF mod?

What is the best MAF?

I was seriously considering a Granatelli, but after reading a few posts here I am not sure. Did anyone have any positive results with the Granatelli?

How do you know if the car is running rich or lean? I have seen people saying the car ran too rich with the Granatelli?
Old 11-16-2002, 07:48 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (Ross78)

How do you know if the car is running rich or lean? I have seen people saying the car ran too rich with the Granatelli?
you will need diagnostic software like AutoTap, EFILive, etc......

I have a Granatelli MAF on my car. It got me closer when tuning than the stock MAF w/no screen.

I was running around 18% lean with the stock MAF and no screen, the Granatelli was about 5% rich.
I was MUCH easier to tune out 5% rich that 18% lean. :cheers:

[Modified by RPOZ4Z, 7:48 PM 11/16/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 06:32 AM
Ross78
Racer

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (RPOZ4Z)

ttt
Old 11-19-2002, 06:36 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (RPOZ4Z)

What mods do you have done so far? I don't think it's necessary to go larger then stock if you only have minor mods.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:10 AM
Ross78
Racer

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (QuickSilver97)

My car is pretty much stock, except for a Blackwing.

I am just looking to do minor things right now, but would like to add things that would work well in the event that I go the route of changing the cam and heads.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:14 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm firmly in the DFWI camp on MAF mods.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:59 AM
MyFirst
Instructor

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (ToplessTexan)

The cheapest mod to the MAF that you can do would be to pull the screens. It was worth 3 hp on my friends 2002 Z28. Supposedly it allows greater airflow, less obstruction more airflow go figure, and adds 3 degrees of timing. Goood Luck
Old 11-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm firmly in the DFWI camp on MAF mods.
Right there with you Topless! :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 11-19-2002, 11:33 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (Chris@SpeedDemon)

If your car is 2001 or newer, just stick with the stock MAF.. I do not feel there is any power hiding out in the MAF sensor on our cars...

If your car is pre-2001, then perhaps think about upgrading to the larger 2001-sized MAF, but even then performance gains will be VERY marginal.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:31 PM
saber
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

My 97 C5 has always had a rough idle - nothing wrong with the engine, just rough idle.
I have noticed this as typical on other C5s.
I installed the SLP MAF for performance reasons. Performance gain minimal.
To my surprise my idle smoothed out, I can hardly feel the engine even running. Nice extra!
Old 11-24-2002, 06:16 PM
Ross78
Racer

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (saber)

After reading the posts. The GMS MAF is no longer a consideration.

I am thinking about the nylon ends that MidAmerica has. They are a bit larger than my stock 99 and would do not have the screen, which a few people suggested to remove.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:45 PM
Toyride
Instructor

Supposedly the stock MAF flows enough air for appx. 500hp. I installed an SLP MAF just on a whim. It flows enough for 600hp. Just a little overkill.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:35 PM
GDP
Team Owner

http://installuniversity.com/install...afapalooza.htm

Your MAF is hiding horsepower, however whatever gains you get will last for about 40-100 miles until the computer relearns the new settings and makes up for the lean condition that MAF makes. The gains from this mod are permanent if you adjust the computer after the mod. I've never had trouble with this mod on two different cars. More air means more power, and no one can argue with that statement. The MAF flows more air if it's ported and polished.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:23 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (GDP)

More air means more power, and no one can argue with that statement.
Yes, but one can argue that a bigger MAF doesn't mean more air.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:09 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with Topless and matt, have seen absoluting no gain other than to try and impress someone with all the mods. The engine will take what it wants and that's not your holdup. In fact other things get screwed up.

[Modified by jimman, 2:20 PM 11/25/2002]
Old 11-25-2002, 10:23 AM
skidmarc
Drifting

Has anyone just polished their stock MAF? Maybe that would be worthwhile instead of a new one????? I have the BPP MAF with airfoils.....who know what this does if anything...my idle is rough and going to do idle relearn this week and go from there!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:39 AM
scool93535
Drifting

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (MattG)

If your car is 2001 or newer, just stick with the stock MAF.. I do not feel there is any power hiding out in the MAF sensor on our cars...

If your car is pre-2001, then perhaps think about upgrading to the larger 2001-sized MAF, but even then performance gains will be VERY marginal.
I agree with Chris, especially on the effects of bolt on's on older C5's. The earlier models only made 345HP. Because of this I think the standard bolt ons produce better results then when applied to a later 350HP model.

I have a 97 with the Granitelli MAF. I didn't dyno before and after but, SOP told me it improved performance on mine. Since then I've had it dyno'd and WOT A/F adjusted. See sig for specs. The only things still stock on the intake side are the manifold and TB. On the exhaust side I still have the stock headers and cats.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best MAF mod?

Old 11-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Daryl
Pro

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (scool93535)

After reading catalog descriptions and hype, I was nearly convinced that I could gain significant HP from adding the Granitelli (sp) MAF to my '02 C5. After reading several posts in this forum and others I wasn't so sure. I then called West Coast Corvettes. The guy I spoke to said he doesn't even carry MAF sensors for '01 and newer C5's mainly due to the size of the the stock MAF. If anything, he suggested removing the screens. I've decided to return the MAF and leave my stock one alone. My .02. :nonod:
Old 11-25-2002, 03:21 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (Daryl)

After reading catalog descriptions and hype, I was nearly convinced that I could gain significant HP from adding the Granitelli (sp) MAF to my '02 C5. After reading several posts in this forum and others I wasn't so sure. I then called West Coast Corvettes. The guy I spoke to said he doesn't even carry MAF sensors for '01 and newer C5's mainly due to the size of the the stock MAF. If anything, he suggested removing the screens. I've decided to return the MAF and leave my stock one alone. My .02. :nonod:
Yea, if I had something newer, I'd probably agree. :cheers:
Old 11-25-2002, 10:57 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: What is the best MAF mod? (MattG)

Matt I agree with you..I just rejoined the stock MAF club. I have had the Breathless Ends on 2 times and both times I put the stock MAF end on the car felt stronger. My azz does not lie.. :D

I now finally believe it's the velocity that the stock MAF offers. Bigger MAF slower air velocity..

Fast air cools the wires faster, thus making for a more agressive A/F

The Bigger MAF ends also caused me k/r problems which drove me nuts! I even argued with people saying that they have nothing to do with K/R.. I was wrong (SORRY). I know know why.....Slower air flow from the bigger MAF made the pcm think there was not much load (even though there is!) ..So in turn the pcm jacks up the timing and Bingo....K/R

Also, I don't know If I agree with just putting the 2001 MAF on a 2000. The MAF table is completely different in a 2001 (as seen in LS1-Edit) The MAF would not be calibrated anymore therefore losing any possible gain.
jmho ;)

[Modified by chuckster, 11:02 PM 11/25/2002]

Quick Reply: What is the best MAF mod?