C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:47 PM
EditMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing?

Also do any "after market" rotors NOT rust after washing the car?

I'm only at 2000 miles but I can sense a warped rotor in my future.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:38 AM
MRWHOOPPEE
Safety Car

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (EditMan)

toss them away,
can't be done , hot spots are forever :cry
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 AM
EditMan
Advanced

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (MRWHOOPPEE)

I think turning the rotors will eliminate them.... but wondered if there was
some other trick?? I'm not sure what causes the heat spots either. (Is it heavy braking at high speeds? Is is considered a warranty issue?)
Old 11-21-2002, 08:52 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (EditMan)

Also do any "after market" rotors NOT rust after washing the car?

I'm only at 2000 miles but I can sense a warped rotor in my future.
Zinc-plated rotors won't rust, until you wear through the zinc coating, then you're back to brown. I guess the non-swept parts of the rotor would stay fairly rust free, but haven't had any personal experience so can't say for certain.

Also, don't give up on your current rotors yet. There could be something between the hub and the rotor that would cause it to wobble a few thousandths, which you would feel as pedal pulse.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 11-21-2002, 10:11 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

No guarantee it will work, but you might try removing the rotors and lightly sanding the entire braking surface of the rotor with 100 grit sandpaper (using a block or an orbital sander), then making sure the inside of the rotor hat, the hub, and the inside of the wheel are perfectly clean. Then reinstall, being careful to hand-torque the wheel lugs to 100 ft-lbs in a star pattern in 3 steps (50, 75, 100). I've found this usually helps.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Fahtrim
Team Owner

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (Duck916)

I don't think it can be done either. Turnin' em probably.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:27 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (Speide)

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

I would not turn the rotors. They just need to be re-bedded in. If you turn them you are making them thinner and they could warp sooner.

I have had them in the past and now they are gone. Proper torque of your wheel lug nuts is important as stated above.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:35 AM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Try this site. It seems the heat spots may be a result of keeping the brakes applied after overheating them.
The warping issue is controversial. I am a warper so I tried the recommended method in this article and so far so good.

[Modified by jfpilla, 2:29 PM 11/21/2002]
Old 11-21-2002, 12:52 PM
EditMan
Advanced

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (jfpilla)

Thanks for the info... The web site article was especially interesting although it did not mention the torquing of wheels. I suspect most dealers and maybe even the factory do not take the time to torque correctly. (I will try retorquing and maybe even some new pads before I resurface - Should be check enough and I figure it can't hurt.)
Old 11-22-2002, 09:34 PM
Skyguy^^
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (Duck916)

No guarantee it will work, but you might try removing the rotors and lightly sanding the entire braking surface of the rotor with 100 grit sandpaper
Do not use sandpaper on the rotors. You are likely to get silicon deposits which could make the problem much worse. :eek:
Old 11-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (gmblack3)

I would not turn the rotors. They just need to be re-bedded in. If you turn them you are making them thinner and they could warp sooner.

I have had them in the past and now they are gone. Proper torque of your wheel lug nuts is important as stated above.
I agree. Follow this procedure and re-bed your brakes. Then you must spread this post to everyone you know. Every week two or three "warped rotor" posts appear.

BTW, GM says to torque your wheels on: 30, 60, 90, 100 ft-lbs in a star pattern.

Live Free,
Race Hard.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:57 PM
MRWHOOPPEE
Safety Car

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (SpyRacing)

Not torqueing the wheels is not the cause of warping.

Hot spots generally mean toss the rotor.

Experience tells me this, not a book or a website.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:02 AM
EditMan
Advanced

Default Re: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing? (MRWHOOPPEE)

Not torqueing the wheels is not the cause of warping.
Hot spots generally mean toss the rotor.
Experience tells me this, not a book or a website.
They are mostly cosmetic right now... no vibration when the brakes are
applied. Just wondering if they are a sign for things to come.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to remove heat spots from rotors without resurfacing?