C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 02:05 PM
mastour
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (jimman)

I've had the same problem off and on. I just purchased my 98 not too long ago and it just started happening. I see that getting the sender replaced doesn't automatically fix the problem. Why can't you just get the connections covered after they have been resoldered? Is that possible?

Also, appreciate the additional links that deal with this problem. I'm new to the forum and new to owning a vette and it's great to have a resource such as this to go to. Hope to get some pictures out soon as I start hooking my baby up. Thanks for providing hints on how to fix the problem.

Mike
Old 12-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 632 Likes on 390 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Orbit)

I've had this problem twice, both times when the fuel level was below 1/4 tank. Each time the gauge started working within a day. Since I live in Southern California, the gas I use should be pretty low sulfur all around.

I know it's frustrating to have this problem, but Chevy isn't the only culprit. My BMW did the same thing.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:35 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Duck916)

Mine goes to a half tank and then slowing creeps back up after some driving. This happens every winter. I have to believe mine is due to spray wash power washing impinging on the rear tank connectors along with cold weather.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:33 AM
Orbit
Advanced

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Duck916)

Duck,
I have 2 Toyota's in the garage along side the corvette, and only the Corvette has problems even though I put the same gas in all 3 autos. The problem is GM and they won't admit they have a problem. They want to put the blame on the Gas manufactures, saying it is the sulfur content. Bulls?*t. I don't buy it.
:D
Old 12-17-2002, 04:56 PM
jlfrogy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Orbit)

No flame intended but some of you guys are a hoot! Brand of gas? I think not. It all comes out of the same pipeline and the grades are seperated by what are called pigs. It is the Delcrap sending units. Mine have been replaced 3X. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 12-18-2002, 03:43 PM
AdrenalineJunkie
Instructor

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (jlfrogy)

You may find it amusing, but here are the responses I got from from Amoco, ExxonMobile, Citgo, and one from the Va DEQ.

Although the gentleman from Amoco did offer an alternative explaination beyond sulphur

============================
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 10:41 AM
Subject: RE: Auto RFG, sulfur content, and SE Virginia

>1. What is the sulfur content, expressed in PPM, of your 93 octane automotive >gasoline, both summer and winter blends, for the Williamsburg/Newport >News/Hampton area of Virginia?

The sulfur content averaged 184 ppm between April 2001 and April 2002, based on data from four of CITGO's bulk storage terminals in Virginia, including Fairfax, Richmond, Montvale, and Chesapeake.

>2a. Is the sulfur content value obtained by direct sampling of fuel(s)s shipped >to this area, or is it derived from the "corporate average," as allowed by EPA >regulation?

Data is derived from samples collected at our bulk storage terminals in the State, not on corporate averages
============================
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 2:56 PM
Subject: Sulfur in Amoco/BP Premium Gasolines

Dear Mr.XXX.
Thank you for contacting BP with your questions. ... First, I'm not sure that sulfur is the total culprit in the failure of the contact sending unit in your 2001 vehicle fuel tank. There may be other factors involved such as fuel dissolved water content, and presence of oxygenates that could contribute to the corrosion of the contacts. Certain hydrocarbon sulfur types, such as mercaptans, are more corrosive that others toward copper and silver metals, so the specific type of sulfur compounds in the fuel you use may make a difference. All of our gasolines meet the limits for copper corrosion as tested by an industry-standard test.

1. The sulfur content for premiums, in general, is lower than that for other grades of gasoline. For BP and Amoco branded gasolines in the Cheasapeake/TideWater area, our premium gasoline sulfur level is generally under 100 ppm. In many major metro markets throughout the US and Europe, BP is introducing low sulfur premium gasoline (max. 80 ppm) such as in Washington DC, Baltimore, and Richmond and we're introducing these low sulfur gasolines into more markets in the future.

Jim Simnick
BP Global Fuels Technology
Ph: 630-420-5936/Fax: 630-420-4832/

========
From Exxon:

The sulfur content of our premium grade ranged from 90 to 218 ppm in the that specific area of VA in 2001.

Bob Peters ExxonMobil Refining & Supply
Refining Americas Product Quality Advisor
Fairfax: (703) 846-4431 Baytown: (281) 834-4874
======
And finally, from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality

2. Does VA DEQ, like the federal program, allow above regulation sulfur content because the "corporate average" is below RFG spec, or does it require actual compliance with RFG spec? THE RFG PROGRAM IS FEDERALLY ENFORCED. THE FEDERAL SULFUR LIMIT (RFG OR NOT) IS 500PPM. I BELIEVE IT IS ON A PER GALLON BASIS. THE NATIONAL AVERAGE IS ABOUT 350PPM. IT VARIES CONSIDERABLY AMONG REFINERS DEPENDING ON FEED STOCK.

3. Essentially, in ppm, what is the current max allowed sulfur content in 93 octane gasoline for the NN/Hpt area, for both summer and winter formulations? SEE ABOVE. RFG IS CERTIFIED BASED ON A COMPOSITION FORMULA. THUS, THE SULFUR CONTENT CAN VARY FROM ONE REFINER TO ANOTHER DEPENDING ON THE OTHER COMPONENTS.

Richard D. Olin MSPH
Environmental Consultant Engineer
Mobile Source Programs
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
804-698-4425

Old 12-18-2002, 04:05 PM
C5 Curmudgeon
Race Director

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (jlfrogy)

No flame intended but some of you guys are a hoot! Brand of gas? I think not. It all comes out of the same pipeline and the grades are seperated by what are called pigs. It is the Delcrap sending units. Mine have been replaced 3X. :eek: :eek: :eek:
:iagree:

My 1986 Buick doesn't have the problem.:nonod: My 1982 Mustang, which I owned until last year never had the problem.:nonod: My 2002 Vette does. They all get/got gas from the same few companies (Mobil and Sunoco mostly) in the southern NJ area. The refiners have been using the same base stocks for the last few decades. What's wrong with this picture? :mad :cuss
Old 12-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Tom T.
Racer

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (eddiep)

I'm certainly not saying it's ONLY the gas. I'm saying, in my experience, the brand of gas correlated with manifestation of the problem, and with the cure. Who knows, maybe it was really the color of the service station signs that caused the gauge to flip out. Seriously, I believe problem is that the GM unit, for whatever reason, is obviously not a particularly great design--it should be able to tolerate normal variations in fuel composition without drama. Similarly to a comment above, none of my other cars has ever been sensitive to differing gas blends. But the ONLY thing that has varied has been the fuel; one brand--no craziness, ever, other brand, craziness. I agree that GM should step up and fix it. Hoot away.

TT :smash:
Old 12-18-2002, 11:17 PM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (HotWheels)

The GM fuel system stinks..... The sending unit is defective.
Go to GM, they have a TSB Technical Service Buletin on this problem, they will replace it free of charge.I had the same problem. Mine gradually deteriated over time.....
Old 12-18-2002, 11:25 PM
SoCal C5
Drifting

No flame intended but some of you guys are a hoot! Brand of gas? I think not. It all comes out of the same pipeline and the grades are separated by what are called pigs.
That depends on where you live. Here in Southern California our gasoline is refined locally and shipped to the stations direct from the individual refineries by truck. So, our gas is usually made the company whose name is on the sign. Even when gas is shipped to other states via pipeline there are measures taken to keep the brands separate. They may use pigs as well but for different brands of the same grade they know how many gallons are in the pipe from each company and whose went in first and whose was next. if company X puts 100 million gallons in the pipe first then they get the first 100 million gallons to come out. There is of course some mixing but for a large part the brands are kept somewhat separate.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:24 AM
jlfrogy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (SoCal C5)

No flame intended but some of you guys are a hoot! Brand of gas? I think not. It all comes out of the same pipeline and the grades are separated by what are called pigs.

That depends on where you live. Here in Southern California our gasoline is refined locally and shipped to the stations direct from the individual refineries by truck. So, our gas is usually made the company whose name is on the sign. Even when gas is shipped to other states via pipeline there are measures taken to keep the brands separate. They may use pigs as well but for different brands of the same grade they know how many gallons are in the pipe from each company and whose went in first and whose was next. if company X puts 100 million gallons in the pipe first then they get the first 100 million gallons to come out. There is of course some mixing but for a large part the brands are kept somewhat separate.
My friend you are misinformed. As a company Z puts gas in the pipeline for X amount, X amount can be drawn off at the other end immediately they do not have to wait lets say the 2 days it takes to get from lets say Texas to Chicago. I know this because my son has worked for Texaco for 10 years. He tells me that all gas is basically the same except for some additives that are added when it is loaded on to the tanker. If you go to Port Everglades you will see all the different brands of tanker trucks pulling up to the same dispensing facility.
I will say that you may be correct about California, have no experience there.
Have a nice holiday. :seeya

[Modified by jlfrogy, 3:28 PM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 12:23 AM
30yeardream
Drifting

Heres the latest and greatest fellas. My car is coming home tomorrow from this problem. It has been in the shop 3 times in the last month for this repair. The two sending unit system does not work. The right sender is 98% of the the failure. GM does not replace the sending units any longer, they simply reprogram the computer and if that did'nt work then they rplaced it. WELL! somebody finally did or said somthing because the newest fix is a total reprogram with a new program of the system isolating the right tank sending unit and using the left unit only for tank level indication. We are back to a single sending unit system officially dated today 12-19-02. I will let you all know how it goes after a tank or two through the car. :smash: :cheers: :cheers: :seeya
Old 01-03-2003, 12:19 AM
02C5ing
3rd Gear

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (30yeardream)

Well it's time again for a fuel gauge fix. I am taking the kid in for the fourth time next week to get this problem fixed or in this case removed completly.
Replacing the sending unit and changing the oil is becoming standard maintenance.
Maybe the dealer will know how to fix the problem with the right sending unit, until the left unit dies in about 5000 miles.

This is total :bs anyone with a 2003 with this problem yet????

Heres the latest and greatest fellas. My car is coming home tomorrow from this problem. It has been in the shop 3 times in the last month for this repair. The two sending unit system does not work. The right sender is 98% of the the failure. GM does not replace the sending units any longer, they simply reprogram the computer and if that did'nt work then they rplaced it. WELL! somebody finally did or said somthing because the newest fix is a total reprogram with a new program of the system isolating the right tank sending unit and using the left unit only for tank level indication. We are back to a single sending unit system officially dated today 12-19-02. I will let you all know how it goes after a tank or two through the car. :smash: :cheers: :cheers: :seeya

Quick Reply: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron?