C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Going Bad on the 98????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 12:03 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Water Pump Going Bad on the 98????

I discoverd a small coolant leak that happens after the engine is cooled down. I can put my hand up behind the water pump and it comes out wet. Over time it will leave a puddle.
I am going to assume it is a bad water pump, but am just checking with everyone to see if there might be something else. I have cleaned and checked all the hose connections, and they are dry.
Looked around the throttle body and everything appears dry.
Anything else I should be looking for that would cause coolant on the back of the pump?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2002, 12:05 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98???? (Grzldvt)

I dont know what is wrong with your car, I can tell you that my water pump on my car went out 9 months ago. It was repalced by the dealership under warranty. So these pumps can go out this early in the game.

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 12-30-2002, 12:29 AM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your water pump Steve, On the bright side it is better it happened near home then in the middle of deathvalley.

Best of luck on the repairs :D
Old 12-30-2002, 12:30 AM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98???? (RHILL)

PS: Watchout for the Bears :eek: :jester
Old 12-30-2002, 02:45 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Default Re: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98???? (RHILL)

Vetterdstr, that is what I was afraid of, and being a few weeks out of warranty, in geological time, this one looks like it is on me.
RHILL,
At least with my last faux paux in Death Valley, I could drive it away, this one would be a bit tougher.
Could be a bear got to it while we were sleeping. Some day I will have to tell you about the bears that tried to get my socks... thats a story that has grown :D

The good news is, after looking at the service manual it appears to be easier to replace than the 85
Old 12-30-2002, 02:53 AM
CALVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Steve if it just a few weeks you might still try the dealer. I had the fuel pump in our SUV replaced by the dealer (not the one I got it from) under what he called "good will". It never hurts to ask, all they can say is no.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Default Re: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98???? (CALVette)

It's a no go, too far past, time and mileage wise(Please note - geological time :D ) I asked about the using the Pollution warranty, isn't Dexcool a toxic polluting substance???? That didn't fly.
The good news is I don't have to drive it, so I can take my time, do a bolt here, have a beer, do a bolt there, have a beer, disconnect a hose, have a beer. Flush the coolant, have a beer:jester
Hmmmm, this is sounding like a it could be fun....
Looks like I will start tearing it apart tomorrow too see if this is really the problem.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:40 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

You may need to replace your belts. I had a leak on my old '97 Trans Am and the Dexcool ate the belt up.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:35 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Whenever you start cracking open the beers give me a call. I could supervise the bolt removal. ;)

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 12-30-2002, 06:57 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Your description sounds just like mine. I started leaking after warranty time and it seemed to leak worse during the cool down time than when I drove it. I used some GM stopleak for metal porosity with some success, but gave up at about 60,000 mi and replaced the pump. I spent a lot of time looking at mine and finally I was able to watch antifreeze come right through the bottom of the pump due to metal porosity of the aluminum. I had some aluminum wheels back in the 60's that did the same thing with tubeless tires. You could spray soapy water on them and watch the bubbles from the air coming through the aluminum. I would have thought with today's technoligy that they could have eliminated that problem. New pump is about $210 from Brassington Motors, best price I found. Have bought other parts and a new top from them with 100% satisfaction so far.

[Modified by alanh, 6:58 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 12-30-2002, 07:26 PM
JCR
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98???? (alanh)

Is it the seal or is it the housing (porosity)?Can you punch out the bearing and replace the seal ? Could be cheaper if its possible.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Default Re: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98???? (vetterdstr)

OK!!! Not sure when I will start on this project, I have a pantload of stuff going on in the next 3-4 weeks. I will llet you know :D
I did locate a new Delco WP for $230, at the local "All Parts Auto" but I am not sure I want to go that route. I have some time, so I will check around a bit more, especially with Brassington to see why there pump is a bit more and why it is worth the extra pennies.
Steve
Old 12-31-2002, 02:29 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Steve, I bought mine GM WP from Pace. It came with the thermostat, pulley, and gaskets.

It took me about two hours to do the job and it’s not that hard to do.

Email me if you need help as well.

Old 12-31-2002, 05:26 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Just an opinion based on buying auto parts. A new pump from an All Parts Auto Store is probably a new rebuilt pump and you have to turn in your old pump to be rebuilt or pay an additional core charge. If I turned my pump in to a place like that, then the next guy that bought it will have a metal porsity leak just as I did even though it will have new bearings and seals. Some of these after market parts stores offer a lifetime warranty on parts and if they do, I would get it. I chose to go for a new GM part from a GM dealer that gets shipped to you in GM packaging with GM parts numbers.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:00 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

ddawson.... I like that idea, all setup and ready to go.

alanh, this parts store is a real parts store with real parts guys, and when they say "new Delco," it is "new" No core returned.
I like these guys, they only carry quality stuff. I buy everyting from them. Since they opened, several years ago, I have not set foot into a Kragens, Pep Boys, or any other chain parts store, except to buy some Silverstars for the 85 because they were sold out :D But I do appreciate the advice...
By the way where is Brassington Motors? I can't seem to find them.
Thanks
Steve
Old 12-31-2002, 06:54 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

It happens! Simply replace it and move on... (literally and figuratively) :yesnod:
Old 01-01-2003, 01:03 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Brassington Motors is in Florida and in June of 02 a new water pump, with thermostat, both belts and shipping was $230. Try this site: http://www.gmotors.com/
If you have parts numbers, that's good, but otherwise follow their instructions on the website, give a detailed description of what you want. They will send an e-mail back with the parts numbers and prices. If you still have a question you can call them to clear it up. Then complete the payment information and they will order the part. Once they have it and get it on UPS, they will send you the UPS tracking number. I've spent a little over $1000 with them and will not hesitate to get additional do-it-yourself parts when the occasion arrives.

[Modified by alanh, 3:28 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

alanh... Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Water Pump Going Bad on the 98????

Quick Reply: Water Pump Going Bad on the 98????