C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird DRL issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 08:34 AM
luminary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird DRL issue

A few days ago I replaced my DRLs as one of them had burned out. I replaced both of them with bulb #3157. I used white instead of amber. Now, my turn signals work fine, but the DRLs don't come on when I start the car. At some point while I'm driving around they come one.

Basically, when I leave for work in the morning the DRLs are off and when I get to work they are on. If I turn the car off and then back on, they stay off (and presumably would come one if I drove somewhere).

Anyone have any clue?!? I don't even know where to begin. The only thing I could think of is that something is loose, but I have no idea what.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:07 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Re: Weird DRL issue (luminary)

Matt
Look in your owners manual on how your DRL operate. I know on mine the DRL won't come on until you release the emergency brake. I also read somewhere that if you pull the Emergy brake one click, they go off. When you turn on your headlights they will go off. I probably confused you more than you were before, so I would read the manual for your particular year.
:confused:
Old 01-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may have something to do with amps/wattage of the white bulbs is my guess. I removed fuse #2 under the hood to eliminate the DRLs completely. I'm hoping to avoid the "burnout" of the bulb by keeping its illumination only when driving at night or using it as a turn signal.

BTW, how long did it take for you to change out the bulbs? Did you change them from the top or from the bottom? I understand it's really difficult to do.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:47 AM
luminary
Racer

Default Re: Weird DRL issue (Mark S.)

I'm pretty sure I paid attention to the ebrake being off, but I will double check this afternoon.

It may have something to do with amps/wattage of the white bulbs is my guess.
That was one of my thoughts too, but I thought the bulb that I got was a direct replacement except for the color.

BTW, how long did it take for you to change out the bulbs? Did you change them from the top or from the bottom? I understand it's really difficult to do.
I changed them from the top...actually, it was pretty easy. The first one was a PITA because the bulb was loose and fell off in the hole. Took me forever to get it out. Just raise the lights, and open the hood. Remove the plastic shroud around the lights. I also removed the hood stoppers right next to the headlights. Then I just reached in and changed the light. The second one took me about 2 minutes.

[Modified by luminary, 9:47 AM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, thanks for the info. I'm assuming that you "marked" the stoppers so that when you put them back in they were at the right height. I'm also assuming that the bulb has enough slack in the wire leading to it so that you can replace the bulb easily.

[Modified by Mark S., 9:06 AM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 11:54 AM
TexasRedZ06
Drifting

A few days ago I replaced my DRLs as one of them had burned out. I replaced both of them with bulb #3157. I used white instead of amber. Now, my turn signals work fine, but the DRLs don't come on when I start the car. At some point while I'm driving around they come one.

Basically, when I leave for work in the morning the DRLs are off and when I get to work they are on. If I turn the car off and then back on, they stay off (and presumably would come one if I drove somewhere).

Anyone have any clue?!? I don't even know where to begin. The only thing I could think of is that something is loose, but I have no idea what.
I have no clue about a solution..... but..... is it possible that you've had this problem with the DRLs long before you changed the bulbs, but just never noticed it??

Get notified of new replies

To Weird DRL issue

Quick Reply: Weird DRL issue