C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 01:27 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Headers Install Questions

Okay,

I got my SLP headers through a Tybyrne GP a couple of weeks back. They look great and I got a terrific price on them but, the volumes of SLP enclosed "modifications required" paperwork that came with the headers have me concerned about long-term reliabilty - of my brakes, clutch and electrical wiring, not the headers.

Apparently the SLP headers are so tight under the C5 hood that SLP recommends rerouting brake lines, clutch braided hose lines, the passenger side wiring harness, A/C lines, etc. This has me concerned about hot spots and boiling off brake and clutch fluids plus the potential to cook my wiring harness over a 1-2 year period. Since my C5 is a daily driver I want to install something that will not lead to more issues down the road. :U

To be fair, SLP does recognize the issues and even includes heat sheathing, clamps, clips, etc for pulling over this and bending out of the way that and other stuff. But still, headers are a bolt-on item and I've never had to do this much modifying to install a set of headers before.

Anyone else out here install the SLP headers on their C5? Any problems? Any suggestions? I am seriously considering selling these to an individual or returning the headers and kits to SLP and getting a set of TPIS ceramic coated headers (which are supposed to be a clean install).

Comments appreciated.

Thanks, and SAVE THE WAVE :seeya :cheers: :cool:
Old 01-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (jeanlucpicard)

I did not like these same issues when considering headers for my 96' Impala SS, that is why I looked close when getting them for the Vette.
They may perform ok, but as you already said, to many other side issues when compared to other choices! :yesnod:
Old 01-07-2003, 06:49 PM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE)

I helped install the headers on Tabbruzz's '99 a few months ago. The left header runs a little close to the steering shaft, and I did NOT like the way they want you to run the wiring. Brake lines were repositioned, and will be fine. I remember reading about someone having to extend their harness to make the SLPs fit, but we didn't have to. I will probably do TPIS headers when the time comes, as I like the fit of them. Email me if you need any more install info, or IM Tabbruzz :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 07:19 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (NJVetteGuy)

Although the install was a bit of a pain compared to other headers, they do perform really well and this is why I wanted them in the first place. Good luck...
Old 01-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (tabbruzz)

Hi Tony :)

I am not going to debate about the performance or the finish because both are probablt great but the install is about the biggest pain in the butt. They make you extend the crank position sensor and the kit I did the connector was wired backwards so the damn car would not start.. I will try hard not to install another set.. just my .02 :) :) :seeya
Old 01-07-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (jeanlucpicard)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take SLP off my list of possibles!!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (Chalky'sC5)

Just for the note, I am not bashing SLP in anyway, one very positive thing is that with their break above the bell housing allows clutch swaps without removing the headers. I just was not happy about routing wires through the headers and extending the CPS. They are just alot more time consuming then others :seeya
Old 01-08-2003, 11:57 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (CHRIS NJ C5)

Chris,

I understand completely. I'm glad mine are done. If Mikie C wasn't the beta car then I wouldn't have went with the SLP's either, but he did get a better ET and mph after he replaced his RK Sport/TPIS headers with the SLPs. Overall, I am happy with my decision and it cost me nothing to install as we did it in Dennis K's garage.

Tony
Old 01-08-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (CHRIS NJ C5)

Just for the note, I am not bashing SLP in anyway, one very positive thing is that with their break above the bell housing allows clutch swaps without removing the headers. I just was not happy about routing wires through the headers and extending the CPS. They are just alot more time consuming then others :seeya
Understood. personally, I wouldn't want to go the extra measures required of the SLP Header install. I would also question the quote off their website

"Gains of up to 35 horsepower and 47 lb.-ft. of torque are possible, depending on your application!
Reduce 1/4-mile ETs by up to 4 tenths of a second and increase trap speeds by as much as 4 mph.
Offer easy, bolt-on installation." JMO.

[Modified by Chalky'sC5, 11:16 AM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 12:23 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: SLP Headers Install Questions (Chalky'sC5)

I never believe any of the vendors hp claims. I do know that the slps gave me some good results...

before headers= best et 12.50 and best mph 108+ (on bfgs)

after headers= best et 12.31 and best mph 111+ ( on nittos)

Also, I believe it was better weather on the "before" runs. I do think I could have hit the 12.2s on the "after" runs because it was my first time on the nittos and the launch technique was a bit different.

[Modified by tabbruzz, 11:24 AM 1/9/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To SLP Headers Install Questions

Quick Reply: SLP Headers Install Questions