C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 09:37 AM
GLF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake

I may have enough over the next couple of months to add an air intake and power duct, as well as a Hurst shifter. But, as far as the intake, which one would is better overall, Blackwing or Twin Flow (the type with 2 cones)?

As far as looks, I like the Twin Flow intake with the chrome piping. But, West Coast has a set up with a carbon fiber power duct with both of these intakes.

As far as performance, I am assuming that comes down to the surface area of the air filters and whatever filter efficiency may factor in.

Thanks for any input! :seeya
Old 01-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (GLF)

I've had both and the Blackwing definitely performs better for me. :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 10:02 AM
quimbo
Drifting

I have a twinflow and love it my car would not squeel the tires before I added the twinflow and after I installed it on the car it is a totally different car the tires hookup now and she leaves mucho rubber and the performance and response is great!!!! I have an A4 with a 2:73 rear and from what I have heard the 2:73's are a dead rear off the line and alot of people with totally stock cars complain about the same problem depending on the mileage on the car.

QUIMBO :seeya :seeya SEEYAAAH
Old 01-08-2003, 11:24 AM
TIKTGTR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (quimbo)

:confused: Am I the only one with a K&N FIPK system? I love it and it looks great with a smooth air coupler!! 400 bucks and it came with the air bridge too!! Good luck on your choice just thought I would give my .02.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:07 PM
MySea6
Melting Slicks

A while back, there was quite a bit of discussion as to whether the "twin flow" types would create more turbulence. I really don't remember the details but do remember the general consensus was that they do and that would limit performance.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that a chrome (or other) twin flow is for show and the BlackWing is for performance. I have seen some impressive power and reliability come out of the tuners here in Houston and have never seen a "twin flow" on any of them. :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 01:24 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (MySea5)

blackwing :thumbs:
Old 01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
DsC5
Race Director

A while back, there was quite a bit of discussion as to whether the "twin flow" types would create more turbulence. I really don't remember the details but do remember the general consensus was that they do and that would limit performance.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that a chrome (or other) twin flow is for show and the BlackWing is for performance. I have seen some impressive power and reliability come out of the tuners here in Houston and have never seen a "twin flow" on any of them. :cheers:
:iagree: exactly. :yesnod:
Old 01-08-2003, 04:03 PM
topgun
Drifting

Donaldson all the way!!! :thumbs:

Looks great, fits great and performs great!!! :D
Old 01-08-2003, 04:33 PM
The Batman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better overall of these two? I'd opine the Donaldson, just because there's only one filter to take apart, clean, and re-oil, it's half the maintenance hassle. Not that it's a big hassle in the first place...

Nearly anything is better than stock, and a Z06 stock setup is good enough for a 405 HP engine. Then again, I think the stock setups are designed to resist water ingestion in heavy rain, not all out dry weather performance. That's the great thing about modding your car. GM has to worry if the car will perform in sun, rain, snow for 3 years or 36K miles. You just have to worry about how it'll perform depending on your climate and driving style. Whatever you get, probably a good idea to get the hood seal, too.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:30 PM
BadBoy
Racer

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (aces)

blackwing :thumbs:
:iagree:
Old 01-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Mordenkanen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (BadBoy)

I use a modified air lid and k&n filter.
I love the setup. :D
Just my .02
Old 01-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (Mordenkanen)

I went from the RM Racing twin flow to the Blackwing and definitely noticed a difference in performance. I think it made an even bigger difference for me because of my supercharger though. I'd recommend the Blackwing for you anyway. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2003, 01:46 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read similar reports. The Blackwing has had dyno runs showing a significant HP increase but I have not read any reports showing dyno runs with the twin flow. Whether this is due to turbulence at the juncture of the two filters or not I do not know. Folks with the twin flow have made claims of SOTP improvements but I do not recall any dyno runs. Both systems should be an improvement over stock but based on the reports I have read on the CF, I would chose the Blackwing over the twin flow.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:45 AM
EJB98GT
Instructor

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (The Batman)

Then again, I think the stock setups are designed to resist water ingestion in heavy rain, not all out dry weather performance.
I was thinking about getting a Blackwing next month, but this car is my daily driver and must be able to drive in the rain :(
Will the blackwing cause a problem in the rain?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (EJB98GT)

I've driven in heavy rain with it and experienced no problems. Steer clear of deep standing water just as you would with any open filter system or even the stock system. Get the hood seal as well to keep water from running into the gap between the bumper cover and hood.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:59 AM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (Patches)

I have A blackwing and the performance hood seal and do not have any problem driving in the rain. Just install the blackwing in place of your stock airbox and do "NOT" cut open the shroud and you will not have a problem. The Blackwing will flow more air then you will ever need and fits just like GM installed it from the factory. I will have to suggest the Donaldson BlackWing. Just don't forget to also install A performance Hood seal to keep the water from running into your filter. It will also help keep your engine compartment clean. :cheers:
Old 01-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Waterfreak
Racer

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (ronnie948)

I am using the twin-tube and haven't experienced any problems with turbulence that I am aware of; no codes. However, I did also remove the radiator shroud to allow additional cold air into the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake

Old 01-09-2003, 02:26 PM
lombo
Heel & Toe

Donaldson blackwing all the way. I have the blackwing on both of my cars. The downside I see going with the Twin Flow or a similar style intakes is that metal retains heat more than plastic. :seeya
Old 01-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Waterfreak
Racer

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (lombo)

Retains heat? I've had my engine pretty darn hot and the intake is cool to the touch. It is way to far away from the heat source and has far to much air running through it to be hot. Besides, even if it were hot, the air is traveling through there so fast, it doesn't have time to heat up from the tubes.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:52 PM
lombo
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake (Waterfreak)

All i'm saying is that metal does retain heat more that plastic (fact), as for the effects on your car I will not argue with you i've never used the Twin Flow and don't know anyone personally that has. I'm going by the effects that I got in my 1997 f-body using the metal SLP cold air induction. That thing would get very hot.

Quick Reply: Blackwing vs. Twin Flow Air Intake