C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers - Long or Short in CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
ElanMike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers - Long or Short in CA

I'm looking to replace the headers on my '99 C5. Do long headers give much greater Hp compared to shorties? Can i use long headers and still pass CA emissions?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:44 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Headers - Long or Short in CA (ElanMike)

On a 99 the long tubes are worth 10 HP more... For smog issues, I would install the shorties.

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 02-10-2003, 12:47 PM
nvrgrowup
Instructor

Shorties are hardly worth the effort in my opinion. In Cali, unless you can find a friendly smog shop which will look the other way on the visual portion of the inspection (they do exist) you will have a problem every 2 years with the longtubes.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:48 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, either install the long tubes or don't do anything at all...the small gains with shotys are not worth the $$/time.....
Old 02-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Re: Headers - Long or Short in CA (OliverM5)

Shorties aren't worth crap...either put on some LT's or buy some 02 manifolds and throw them on. The 02 Z06 manifolds are awesome for stockers and will pass visual. If you are modding H&C, Stroker, FI, LT's are a must. For visual LTs can be a challenge for some OBDII Smog Check II shops..they have their heads up their butt..I have heard of some shops failing cars visually because they have a different airfilter! The only thing that should matter is is it comes out clean at the tail pipes! Some shops realize this. Other shops the visual is just a scam to make money, they can get away with it because the Vehicle Code states that, "exhaust shall not be modified other than how it comes from the factory"....with this is mind all cars with Catback exhaust should fail the visual too...and it has nothing to do with smog..but it is big business to sell catback exhaust..so nothing is said. Being an X COP I have had many discussions with various law enforcement agencies...mainly CHP about what smog really is (hydrocarbon emmision). Cop cars a modified...but in order to comply with the law...various manufactures are given contracts so they are a production "police interceptor" they therefore do not violate the Vehicle Code because it is a factory produced exhaust...it is a bunch of Bull Shiat. Sorry for going off it kind of reminds me of some of our gun control/ban laws.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:15 PM
ElanMike
Instructor

Default Re: Headers - Long or Short in CA (Shinobi'sZ)

Can anyone recommend a Smog shop in the San Jose area that would smog a car with long tube headers? I guess using these means i have to get rid of the CATs?
Also, if i can't pluck up the courage to for the longs, would shorties make a difference to the sound?

Get notified of new replies

To Headers - Long or Short in CA

Quick Reply: Headers - Long or Short in CA